Man United and their issues

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re well aware.

Also comparing Diaz to Sancho, I know your referring the name and all + the fee, Diaz looks a player, but if Sancho was at Pool he would be absolutely lighting the place up.

We don’t help any of the players we sign with what they’re walking into, it’s not a club at the moment just a business with individual players on ridiculous money going out on the weekend for a run around, no passion or desire at all.
Maybe Sancho would be great at Liverpool but we have a system, a culture at the club. It's chaos at United so no wonder nothing seems to work when even good players like Sancho show up.

Sancho would too probably. Fernandes at his best is on the bench at the least IMO.

Varane maybe.
Yeah Varane maybe... would need more time to look at him in the PL.

DDG by default as everyone's backup GK's are always as step down.

Then it's just Bruno who hasnt really replicated his first season at United but still probably makes it.

Maybe Sancho would be great at Liverpool but we have a system, a culture at the club. It's chaos at United so no wonder nothing seems to work when even good players like Sancho show up.

That’s the point I was making, with the system you guys have, Klopp being there, the way you play and the forwards you have creating multiple chances, he’d no doubt thrive.

We’d make Salah look a spud if he was to come to us at the moment.

That’s the point I was making, with the system you guys have, Klopp being there, the way you play and the forwards you have creating multiple chances, he’d no doubt thrive.

We’d make Salah look a spud if he was to come to us at the moment.
Well not to be captain obvious but every team needs a system. A way they play. United dont have one.

I also wonder what United do with screening their players outside of their football ability.

Do they look at their mentality, their personality etc...

That's a huge thing with recruitment at Liverpool (sorry to keep talking about LFC but it's obviously who I follow the most and know most about) but at Liverpool, that is massive. You must be an absolute top lad. No prima donna's, no selfish players, team work, hard workers, all pulling in the same direction etc.

Everyone has to have the same values and goals to come together and be successful and I feel that that isnt the case at United at all. Everybody seems to be in it for themselves.

Then it's just Bruno who hasnt really replicated his first season at United but still probably makes it.
Still having a good season.
36 appearances for 23 goals and assists.

Equal 8th in PL for goals (3 behind leader), Equal 9th for assists (4 behind leader).

So much money spent on rebuilds and paying out managers contracts without anything changing.

The ownership is the problem. They just suck money out of the club and as long as the club keeps making money they're not going to care about the on field results. Sir Alex was still able to be successful under them because it was very much his club and he'd already created a ruthless culture of success. We'd done things the one way for so long that we lost everything when SAF walked out and there was no plan or structure for a successor to work with. Poor old Moyes was doomed from the start.

We also replaced one of the most experienced football operators in the UK (David Gill) with an investment banker who doesn't even follow the game (Ed Woodward). Every manager we've had and just about every player we've signed has been a disappointment because there's been no real vision or plan in place for them. Every time we sack a manager we just about have to start from scratch all over again. LVG's players were not compatible with the way Mourinho operated, and Ole found the same issue with the team he inherited from Mourinho. We also pay these players way too much so moving them on becomes a real struggle.

I'm very pessimistic about any of this changing under the current ownership but I do think the fact they've at least appointed a football director and have Woodward stepping away from the footballing side of things is a step in the right direction. Rangnick sticking around in an advisory capacity at least feels like theres an acknowledgment that there's not really been a proper plan in place for nearly a decade too.

If they take a chance and appoint someone like Ten Hag as the next manager and commit to giving him a couple of years to try to implement a system then that would suggest to me that the club is capable of getting out of this position. If they play it safe and appoint Poch then nothing will change.
Spot on as usual mate. When we had Ferguson as manager I was against a DOF as I had the upmost trust in the manager to buy and sell players. However, since Ferguson retired and having heard the embarrassing stories from Moyes and Van Gaal regarding our lack of a transfer policy, I am a strong supporter of United and most clubs having a director of football. Managers come and go, with Ferguson being the outlier, and so the club must have a transfer policy that it sticks too and then makes managerial appointments to fit in with said transfer policy.

The fish rots from the head and until that changes, Uniteds fortunes on the pitch are unlikely to change. Richard Arnold seems like an improvement on Ed Woodward but they cut from the same cloth and it is well known that Arnold is more of a Rugby fan that football fan. It is going to be a big summer for Arnold and the proof will be in the pudding but it appears as though he knows his limitations are lot more than Woodward and is happy to delegate to 'football people' like Murtough, Fletcher and Rangnick. However, we have to remember that nothing gets done at United without Joel Glazer signing off on it.

This is a massive problem. It's what Liverpool do so well. Jota isnt the big name signing like Ronaldo. Diaz isnt the big name young English superstar in the making in Sancho. But our signings work and theirs dont.

Making the right decisions with the players you buy is so, so massive. They dont seem to have a system at all. Like oh Pogba is a big name, has good stats and is a famous footballer, let's buy him and play him in midfield. It will just work... that's not a system.

But the problems run deep at United and even bringing a world class manager wont necessarily fix everything. We brought in IMO the worlds best manager in Klopp and we hit pretty much every single transfer out of the park. Allison, VVD, Matip, Robbo, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Diaz, Jota, Fabinho, Thiago, Kostas, Konate etc etc...

We've done EVERYTHING right and have managed one league title against the behemoth that is City.

So until that money and Pep goes away, United could nail transfers and find a world class manager and still win nothing.

I'm here for it.
Well done on making a thread on United all about Liverpool. cmon mate.

I also wonder what United do with screening their players outside of their football ability.

Do they look at their mentality, their personality etc...

That's a huge thing with recruitment at Liverpool (sorry to keep talking about LFC but it's obviously who I follow the most and know most about) but at Liverpool, that is massive. You must be an absolute top lad. No prima donna's, no selfish players, team work, hard workers, all pulling in the same direction etc.

Everyone has to have the same values and goals to come together and be successful and I feel that that isnt the case at United at all. Everybody seems to be in it for themselves.
United looked at data on 800 odd right backs before deciding to buy Aaron Wan Bissaka. Mourinho used his influence to buy Dalot and Lindelof.

That tells you all you need to know about the way United do business. Crib notes, it's a ******* shitshow that lurches from one blokes theory to another. United are cheap when they shouldn't be and then pay stupid fees and wages on other occasions when they don't need too. Other clubs have set transfer policies and DOF's. United don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

United looked at data on 800 odd right backs before deciding to buy Aaron Wan Bissaka. Mourinho used his influence to buy Dalot and Lindelof.

That tells you all you need to know about the way United do business. Crib notes, it's a ******* shitshow that lurches from one blokes theory to another. United are cheap when they shouldn't be and then pay stupid fees and wages on other occasions when they don't need too. Other clubs have set transfer policies and DOF's. United don't.
They looked at 800 right backs and ended up with AWB. Yikes. That's poor.

3 behind leader? He's 10 goals adrift of the leading goal scorer in the PL. Also 5 behind the leader for assists.
Stand corrected.

The UI of the PL website on my browser had the leaders in each category not visible.

Doesn’t change that he is having a good season though.

Look at how United went after Sir Matt Busby, we were even relegated in the 70’s.
Similar with us in the 70s and Bill Nich way back relegation battle next season and went down 3 years later. It is nowhere near as extreme anymore. Pep and Klopp will be interesting when they leave

This is a massive problem. It's what Liverpool do so well. Jota isnt the big name signing like Ronaldo. Diaz isnt the big name young English superstar in the making in Sancho. But our signings work and theirs dont.

Making the right decisions with the players you buy is so, so massive. They dont seem to have a system at all. Like oh Pogba is a big name, has good stats and is a famous footballer, let's buy him and play him in midfield. It will just work... that's not a system.

But the problems run deep at United and even bringing a world class manager wont necessarily fix everything. We brought in IMO the worlds best manager in Klopp and we hit pretty much every single transfer out of the park. Allison, VVD, Matip, Robbo, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Diaz, Jota, Fabinho, Thiago, Kostas, Konate etc etc...

We've done EVERYTHING right and have managed one league title against the behemoth that is City.

So until that money and Pep goes away, United could nail transfers and find a world class manager and still win nothing.

I'm here for it.
You've finished 2nd to us once. We've knocked you out of one league Cup.

That's 2 of 23 (I think) possible trophies Klopp could have won.

It's easy to blame us for you not winning more, but chances are that if we didn't have money, KDB/Bernardo/Aguero etc would have been at one of your rivals and the likes of Foden would have been poached as well.

Last edited:
Good article on the athletic about how clubs struggle to replace generational managers. Goes back to Revie-Clough at Leeds and then to much lesser extents Poch with us and what Leeds will face with Bielsa. United are the major example of this after the Fergie era
I suspect Liverpool may struggle once Klopp goes.

Look at last four seasons (Euros)

AWB 55m
Maguire 87m
VDB 40m
Sancho 85m
Fred 60m
Diallo 21m

That's just under £300m!! Not much return
They've been getting scammed by good agents. Those are all google players. Only talent they've brought in is CR7 and Bruno.

Another few years of decline and they will be dangerously close to the laughing stock Liverpool was for 20 yrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back