Man up Hawks supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the deal - not one player left a single thing on the park tonight, you have great reason to be very, very proud of every single bloke who represented our club with class, endeavor and distinction.

We weren't good enough on the night - and you can come up with a million reasons why, I know I have already - but in a ferocious contest like that the only thing that matters is the final outcome.

I understand the need to vent - the frustration - I am gutted.

My challenge to my fellow Hawthorn supporting brethren is to honour the effort that those boys showed tonight by manning up.

Picking one moment out of a match and putting the blame on one scapegoat is not manning up, blaming the umpires is not manning up and attacking each other is not manning up.

Three months ago there was barely a ripple left on this board as the reality of Gilham, Roughead & Stratton being lost for the season set in, and a honourable appearance in the finals appeared a pipedream.

When the cold light of day hits, we will realise what a herculean effort it has been to miss a GF by so little with so much adversity.

Post about these boys with the respect they showed you in their performance tonight.

Here's the deal - not one player left a single thing on the park tonight, you have great reason to be very, very proud of every single bloke who represented our club with class, endeavor and distinction.

We weren't good enough on the night - and you can come up with a million reasons why, I know I have already - but in a ferocious contest like that the only thing that matters is the final outcome.

I understand the need to vent - the frustration - I am gutted.

My challenge to my fellow Hawthorn supporting brethren is to honour the effort that those boys showed tonight by manning up.

Picking one moment out of a match and putting the blame on one scapegoat is not manning up, blaming the umpires is not manning up and attacking each other is not manning up.

Three months ago there was barely a ripple left on this board as the reality of Gilham, Roughead & Stratton being lost for the season set in, and a honourable appearance in the finals appeared a pipedream.

When the cold light of day hits, we will realise what a herculean effort it has been to miss a GF by so little with so much adversity.

Post about these boys with the respect they showed you in their performance tonight.

Brilliantly put TAITA..
We are Hawthorn - tough, successful and powerful. While it's nice to hear sympathy from other supporters etc, we are not either St Kilda or WB who have a history of heartbreak and failure - we need to learn from this loss and make sure that next time we keep our foot on the opposition's throat.. Blaming umpires is a cop-out and gets you nowhere.
Finals are about 4 quarters of tough, uncomprimising footy. Clarko said as much during the week and that this is what would be required to beat the pies - unfortunately we didn't follow that right through to the end..
Go Hawks!

No arguing here from me TWITA, I agree with what you have wrote 100%.

Herculean - is a very apt word to describe what this club did and how close it got to making an entry into the Grand Final, when it had no right to....with the challenges the club has faced (in particular with its defense).

How good is it to say that I support a club that no matter what the odds, when it counts, we are going to leave nothing in the tank.

Last years premiers (who surely were to win easily), got the fright of their lives in tonights game and all Hawks and their supporters should be mighty satisfied with the effort that was exerted.

Love this Club.:thumbsu:

I was proud of our boys yesterday and right now I am even more proud of them. They went to battle and did us proud. We will learn from this, no doubt. But TAITA, you are spot on.... Let us not each our own. We are Hawthorn and our great club is built on grit and determination. Tomorrow is the start of season 2012. Bring it.

Just love Hawthorn so much, Clarko was really pissed coz he knows we should be playing in a GF.
We proved 08 was no fluke tonight and showed the football world we a genuine Flag contendor.

The boys put up a wonderful display tonight. I couldn't be prouder of their effort. GO HAWKS!

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: to the OP

With just ordinary luck with injuries next year I think there will be plenty to smile about:D

Thanks for a Great Season Hawks, Well Done:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

too many hawthorn supporters are playing the blame on shoey. from a carlton supporter i thought he was great tonight. and it wasnt his fault the game was loss. all hawthorn players should hold their heads high.

were just very unlucky to lose

Brilliantly put TAITA.

Bloody magnificent effort from this team to get within 3 points of a GF. We've learnt a lot about our list and our coaches this year, all of which will hold us in good stead in coming years.

I'll just single out one player though - Jordan Lewis you're a bloody champion. Defines what Hawthorn is about.

Shed a tear with him tonight. Very emotional.

Make no mistake, this game will drive us in 2012.

The attitude of this thread is precisely why hawthorn has been the most successful side of the past 50 years.

I haven't posted on this site for a looong time, but reading this I felt compelled too.

And it is why your team will be back, up and about and ready to go come 2012. I understand as supporters its seen as external, but it represents the culture of the club, the attitude of its supporters and their sentiments towards the team.

Success breads success; Hawthorn and its culture has it in spades.

:thumbsu:

Amazing how we lost so narrowly in a prelim having led all night and clearly were the better team and yet i'mm really not that shattered and very proud of the players and the club last night. Fantastic performance; they looked so hungry, so desperate, so determined and i don't think they looked particularly "nervous" either (as say against Geelong). Just ran out of legs in the last quarter i think

Very confident for season 2012 now

Hear, hear.

Well said mate. This serves as a reminder to us supporters, and to the players and their families if they ever get wind of the rare wisdom that big footy provides, of where we've come from this season and what it has entailed.

What could go wrong went wrong, but what grew was the spirit of the group. For me anyway, i saw our boys become men.

Opportunities like this don't come along very often. Face the loss head on, but don't dwell on what if's, and maybes... What's important is to take some time to reflect holistically about what's been good and bad- get away from the game for a few weeks, then come back in a frame of mind that is ready to strive and figure out how we all improve. How do we all take the impressive standards set this year and turn them into something that allows the group to evolve again? We as supporters need to take this responsibility on as much as anyone else.

For me- i am so proud of the club and it's achievements this year. I am genuinely content in the knowledge that the group has found it's playing identity and can now move forward as many of our group hit their peak years of footy.

There are exciting times ahead- Smith, Bailey, Poppy, Shiels, Savage, Breust, Whitey, Suckling, Shoey, Stratts- there is great cause for hope that we are developing a 22 that will be hugely competitive for a fair while to come. If there is any advantage for the future, its our ability to begin planning earlier on what we need to do to add to our talented group. And they are talented. They need to give themselves more credit for extracting that talent this year- because it saw young guys play roles well in advance of their years. It saw a ruckman who has had 3 knee reco's play the number 1 ruck role as though he had been developing nicely all along. It saw 8 players play their first final. It saw terrific drafting that netted us players of a quality for the future that one could only dream about. We were potent at times. We were frustrating at others. We exhibited all the traits of a team on the cusp.

I can only imagine that the fire burning in me right now regarding this loss and it's connection to the future is only a fraction of what Clarko, the players, and the rest of the club are feeling right now. My message to them, aside from the dribble i have written prior to this, and i say this with an open heart- i love you. You have done us all proud, but most of all- you have done yourselves proud.

Well done Hawks. :thumbsu:

Shed a tear with him tonight. Very emotional.

Make no mistake, this game will drive us in 2012.

He was fantastic Phil and there are plenty of us feeling emotional about it....

as u said earlier in a post this week...

we may not win, but the Pies will know they have played a tough game...right on the money!

The attitude of this thread is precisely why hawthorn has been the most successful side of the past 50 years.

I haven't posted on this site for a looong time, but reading this I felt compelled too.

And it is why your team will be back, up and about and ready to go come 2012. I understand as supporters its seen as external, but it represents the culture of the club, the attitude of its supporters and their sentiments towards the team.

Class post, hate to say it but my hate for your mob has just been lessened.

Good luck in the GF:thumbsu:

Absolute quality. Thank you for expressing those sentiments. Cheers and good luck for next week. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back