The Law Man who shared Christchurch shooting video on Facebook sentenced to 21 months in jail

Should sharing graphic content online be worth a prison sentence?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 100.0%

• Total voters
The act is violent. Distributing the video is not because the video is of violent acts. The video sitting on your desk is not violent.
You are seriously endorsing the sharing of the video? Unbelievable.

What's next rape? Suicides? Killing of children? Be-headings? What/where are the limits?

You are seriously endorsing the sharing of the video? Unbelievable.

What's next rape? Suicides? Killing of children? Be-headings? What/where are the limits?

What's next is that the true horror of things like this is discussed and changes can be made.

Since you've started the slip into other areas.. It's the same difference in impact that telling someone about the holocaust and standing them in front of a mountain of shoes and skulls.

Reality is reality. Get it out there, we can start dealing with it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm failing to see how showing something to like minded people constitutes violence against anyone which would be a prerequisite for me to send someone to prison.
It’s not just to like minded people, it’s everyone. It’s a crime because it’s an act of extreme violence (live violence) that is reflective of a hate crime focused upon bigotry and racism.

How does it serve society having it circulated?

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Given the dialogue here is that he sent it between like minded friends, yes I do think he is trolling.

I don't believe we should treat people as though they are criminals until they commit the crime. I'm not so naive to think that if we keep this stuff hidden it will all go away, I know that if this is brought out into the daylight it will allow people to discuss it and that will actually prevent attacks like this. Stopping people from sharing their bad ideas doesn't let those ideas get challenged and keeps them in dark rooms validating each other until they are sure it's right.

Seriously, the next step with this is banning facebook just in case.
You don’t need to see this video in order to stop this violence.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
What's next is that the true horror of things like this is discussed and changes can be made.

Since you've started the slip into other areas.. It's the same difference in impact that telling someone about the holocaust and standing them in front of a mountain of shoes and skulls.

We don’t see the live videos of journalists being beheaded by ISIS do we? Is there a reason for that you think?

I don't see it as 'slipping into other areas' all are horrific.

So you are okay with the areas I mentioned because once it is out there people can deal with it, am I reading you right?

You do know of the term, 'copycats' don't you?

I think I would rather leave it to the law and authorities rather than some unhinged or like minded individual/s.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

What changes would you like to be made?

What do you think should be changed?

If this is genuinely why you're supporting this, please fill in the gaps.

Sharing Mein Kampf with some people isn't a good or bad thing.
Sharing it with the intent to recruit someone into the KKK is bad.

I've no idea what part of his history has you thinking he is this light hearted joking guy...

He isn't being locked up and having the key thrown away. He probably won't even end up there after the appeals and such.

Here is a serious issue. Have a read.
Alabama voted to outlaw abortion entirely. Doctors who perform the procedure could go to prison for 99 years, simply for providing healthcare that one in four American women obtains at some point in her life. The law offers no exception for rape or incest victims because, as the Republican lawmaker Clyde Chambliss said, “When God creates the miracle of life inside a woman’s womb, it is not our place as human beings to extinguish that life.”​
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ma-abortion-ban-brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court

But you won't ever talk about "lines being drawn" etc for this kind of thing...
Because you support it.

I don't see it as 'slipping into other areas' all are horrific.

So you are okay with the areas I mentioned because once it is out there people can deal with it, am I reading you right?

You do know of the term, 'copycats' don't you?

I think I would rather leave it to the law and authorities rather than some unhinged or like minded individual/s.

I'll pivot this into a very similar subject with very real impact.

Suicide.

Our media bend over backwards to avoid calling things an attempted suicide. They deny reality and it prevents the discussion.

What changes would you like to be made?

What do you think should be changed?

If this is genuinely why you're supporting this, please fill in the gaps.

Sharing Mein Kampf with some people isn't a good or bad thing.
Sharing it with the intent to recruit someone into the KKK is bad.

I've no idea what part of his history has you thinking he is this light hearted joking guy...

He isn't being locked up and having the key thrown away. He probably won't even end up there after the appeals and such.

Here is a serious issue. Have a read.
Alabama voted to outlaw abortion entirely. Doctors who perform the procedure could go to prison for 99 years, simply for providing healthcare that one in four American women obtains at some point in her life. The law offers no exception for rape or incest victims because, as the Republican lawmaker Clyde Chambliss said, “When God creates the miracle of life inside a woman’s womb, it is not our place as human beings to extinguish that life.”​
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ma-abortion-ban-brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court

But you won't ever talk about "lines being drawn" etc for this kind of thing...
Because you support it.
I'm happy to draw the abortion line at the point at which the unique human life came into existence. When the unique DNA was formed. At conception.
That wasn't hard, was it?

I'll pivot this into a very similar subject with very real impact.

Suicide.

Our media bend over backwards to avoid calling things an attempted suicide. They deny reality and it prevents the discussion.
Not addressing what I posted? Don't worry, mea culpa for replying to your posts. Should have learned by now.:oops:

Not addressing what I posted? Don't worry, mea culpa for replying to your posts. Should have learned by now.:oops:
Get your hand off it Maggie, you are world famous for stepping into a discussion about topic A and accusing someone of not caring about topic B because they disagree with you about topic A.

Do I know the term copycat? Yes. The subtext is do I think this will create more? No. I think the shocking reality of things is like shining daylight into a dark room, it makes it real. I don't think anyone who wasn't already a problem would see it and become one, I think people who have seen it have more room in their hearts for different people now.

You're not reading me right about the other things being out there. My issue is that if you seek to sanitise the harsh reality of human life on this planet by covering up the sharp corners and hiding the true evil then all you're going to do is walk a generation down a corridor, with a smile, that shocks them once the blindfold falls off.

We need to be as open with everything as possible. We don't need to hide anything from adults. If you're children are seeing it, that's your fault, not the content. If people wish to seek out as much reality on this as they choose, go for it, in my opinion most won't - but we have programs on television about heinous crimes for a reason.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Get your hand off it Maggie, you are world famous for stepping into a discussion about topic A and accusing someone of not caring about topic B because they disagree with you about topic A.

Do I know the term copycat? Yes. The subtext is do I think this will create more? No. I think the shocking reality of things is like shining daylight into a dark room, it makes it real. I don't think anyone who wasn't already a problem would see it and become one, I think people who have seen it have more room in their hearts for different people now.

You're not reading me right about the other things being out there. My issue is that if you seek to sanitise the harsh reality of human life on this planet by covering up the sharp corners and hiding the true evil then all you're going to do is walk a generation down a corridor, with a smile, that shocks them once the blindfold falls off.

We need to be as open with everything as possible. We don't need to hide anything from adults. If you're children are seeing it, that's your fault, not the content. If people wish to seek out as much reality on this as they choose, go for it, in my opinion most won't - but we have programs on television about heinous crimes for a reason.
You do realise it’s 2019 right? I mean children have access to internet and some are more advanced than adults with its usage. It’s not a parents fault a child gets access to a video like this, it’s the fault of an individual like you advocating for its circulation because ‘we need to know’.

How can you confidently say a copycat won’t be created after seeing this content? In 1994 a slightly unhinged man called Nathan Avant watched a series of horror movies, he then took a tomahawk to a 10 year old kid killing him, he then sexually abused his victims mother.

He blamed his behaviour on such content. There’s been numerous examples of people watching violent films and content and carrying out crimes.

You’re a very naive person.

You do realise it’s 2019 right? I mean children have access to internet and some are more advanced than adults with its usage. It’s not a parents fault a child gets access to a video like this, it’s the fault of an individual like you advocating for its circulation because ‘we need to know’.

How can you confidently say a copycat won’t be created after seeing this content? In 1994 a slightly unhinged man called Nathan Avant watched a series of horror movies, he then took a tomahawk to a 10 year old kid killing him, he then sexually abused his victims mother.

He blamed his behaviour on such content. There’s been numerous examples of people watching violent films and content and carrying out crimes.

You’re a very naive person.
If I'm getting this right, horror films should also be banned? Because mentally unwell people exist?

Why don't we just fix the mentally unwell people?

And parents are responsible for their children's exposure.

Back