The Law Man who shared Christchurch shooting video on Facebook sentenced to 21 months in jail

Should sharing graphic content online be worth a prison sentence?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 100.0%

• Total voters
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
If I'm getting this right, horror films should also be banned? Because mentally unwell people exist?

Why don't we just fix the mentally unwell people?

And parents are responsible for their children's exposure.
We are trying to fix them. We have guidelines on film content for a reason. No mate, parents can’t stop kids these days from accessing things. You’re an idiot if you think so.

What about the women whose lives are ruined by being raped? Do they deserve to bear a child from a crime against them?
Why are we so off topic from a guy going to prison for sharing a video around his friends of someone else doing something horrible?

I wouldn't have an abortion if I were pregnant from a rape. I don't think the child deserves to die for the crimes of the father. I don't think that life value is lessened because of it's creation or because of how it makes someone else feel. I don't want to draw a line of acceptable burden to end a life, so I choose there to be no ethical line.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why are we so off topic from a guy going to prison for sharing a video around his friends of someone else doing something horrible?

I wouldn't have an abortion if I were pregnant from a rape. I don't think the child deserves to die for the crimes of the father. I don't think that life value is lessened because of it's creation or because of how it makes someone else feel. I don't want to draw a line of acceptable burden to end a life, so I choose there to be no ethical line.
I don’t believe a woman should have her hand dealt for her and a decision made for her on behalf of her body by the government. I think a woman should not have her life turned on it’s head by being FORCED to have a child she DIDNT want in the first place.

Isn’t America supposed to be a first world society? Alabama is using religion to pass legislation. Isn’t this what extremist groups in the Middle East do?

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Be interested to see what happens when a doctor gives a video to a patient. And on that video is a person showing all the steps required to have a chemical abortion.

99 years in gaol.

But that's different... Because that's a video on how to have an abortion... which is taking a human life.
Whereas sharing a video of shooting up a Mosque is just light hearted trolling.
Mass murder.

Be interested to see what happens when a doctor gives a video to a patient. And on that video is a person showing all the steps required to have a chemical abortion.

99 years in gaol.

But that's different... Because that's a video on how to have an abortion... which is taking a human life.
Whereas sharing a video of shooting up a Mosque is just light hearted trolling.
Mass murder.
If the video was showing how to go about doing it too, primarily including sourcing the weapons and making those explosive devices in his car - I'd see them as the same thing. But making a joke of it by turning it into looking like a video game, not so much.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's actually protecting the lives of the most innocent.

This might be an unfair assumption on my behalf. But I do assume you subscribe to the "science says there are only two sexes, male and female. It's biology".

Do you agree with science when it says when human life actually begins? Or do you defer to something else for that?

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
If the video was showing how to go about doing it too, primarily including sourcing the weapons and making those explosive devices in his car - I'd see them as the same thing. But making a joke of it by turning it into looking like a video game, not so much.
You cannot genuinely think that this well know white supremacist... was making a meme.

You know that isn't what he was doing... You know that he was using it for propaganda...

Just stop it.

Stop and think about what you're actually arguing.
Don't just be stubborn for the sake of it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's actually protecting the lives of the most innocent.
Yet the most innocent is a woman raped by a man? The foetus was never supposed to be there by a choice. You are depriving people of choice and instituting religious based legislation that subjects all into abiding by it, irrespective of whether they believe it or not.

It’s fascist, it’s draconian, and it’s oppressive. You’re depriving people of choice. How exactly can Alabama be pro life when they have the death penalty?

This might be an unfair assumption on my behalf. But I do assume you subscribe to the "science says there are only two sexes, male and female. It's biology".

Do you agree with science when it says when human life actually begins? Or do you defer to something else for that?

That human life begins at conception? I agree with that.

I challenge you to find a better line for which your existence began.

Yet the most innocent is a woman raped by a man? The foetus was never supposed to be there by a choice. You are depriving people of choice and instituting religious based legislation that subjects all into abiding by it, irrespective of whether they believe it or not.

It’s fascist, it’s draconian, and it’s oppressive. You’re depriving people of choice. How exactly can Alabama be pro life when they have the death penalty?
The only choice deprived of people is that they don't have the choice to end the life of another.
Can you please explain why Alabama has a pro life policy re abortion yet still enforces the death penalty?
One is the death of someone as a result of their own actions, found guilty by a court.
The other is the death of someone as a result of the choices someone else made, without their consent or input, ending their life.

They are two different things. If you do something so heinous that society has deemed you to not be either able to be rehabilitated or such a threat that you can't be allowed to live (I actually think it's revenge, that's why I'm opposed to the death penalty) then you've been a participant in that finding coming down on you.

If you are conceived through any means, but mostly consented sex, then you exist. That your existence is a burden on someone else, in my opinion doesn't afford that person any right to deny your right to live.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The only choice deprived of people is that they don't have the choice to end the life of another.

One is the death of someone as a result of their own actions, found guilty by a court.
The other is the death of someone as a result of the choices someone else made, without their consent or input, ending their life.

They are two different things. If you do something so heinous that society has deemed you to not be either able to be rehabilitated or such a threat that you can't be allowed to live (I actually think it's revenge, that's why I'm opposed to the death penalty) then you've been a participant in that finding coming down on you.

If you are conceived through any means, but mostly consented sex, then you exist. That your existence is a burden on someone else, in my opinion doesn't afford that person any right to deny your right to live.
Right, so it’s a double standard in other words.

Right, so it’s a double standard in other words.
Not from where I'm standing.
Someone who has done nothing to forfeit their right to life, as defined by their community, is protected from people who would seek to end that life.

I don't like the death penalty because I don't think anyone has a right to take a life except where it is protecting either yourself, someone else or some property from theft or destruction, basically if someone steps onto the front lawn of your life and brings the trouble then you're allowed to defend your world but taking your trouble to them and their world is unacceptable.

The death penalty in Alabama is for people convicted of serious crime. The life of the child being taken for no crime other than it existing, or as therapy for the crime of a rapist is different.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Someone who has done nothing to forfeit their right to life, as defined by their community, is protected from people who would seek to end that life.

I don't like the death penalty because I don't think anyone has a right to take a life except where it is protecting either yourself, someone else or some property from theft or destruction, basically if someone steps onto the front lawn of your life and brings the trouble then you're allowed to defend your world but taking your trouble to them and their world is unacceptable.

The death penalty in Alabama is for people convicted of serious crime. The life of the child being taken for no crime other than it existing, or as therapy for the crime of a rapist is different.
You’re essentially arguing that the discretion to take life is suited to some circumstances and not others, which is a contravention of the concept. If you’re going to employ a policy then you need consistency and you need uniform. It’s even more ironic, because those on death row are there for committing homicide, yet the government punished them by killing them?

That isn’t pro life. You see what Alabama is doing is introducing religion to the legislative decision making process, which is essentially imposing a set of beliefs on to those who don’t believe in it, hence creating an oppressive regime that is prepared to make decisions on behalf of people. It’s forceful, it’s dictatorial, and it’s also deprivation of choice.

What’s even more ironic is that anti Muslim types in the US bemoan sharia law for representing the same oppressive characteristics, yet fail to see that society in Alabama is controlled by a religious fanaticism as well.

It takes a certain type of person to look at it, analyse it, and see it for what it is. It also takes a certain type of individual to vote to have the life of a woman changed dramatically because of a rape. You’re punishing that woman. Just like in the Middle East in some places where woman are stoned for being raped. It’s punishment. No one cares about the woman, they just want to protect the life of something that was never meant to be, meanwhile giving someone a lethal injection in prison. Shouldn’t by your legal rationale impose the death penalty to doctors who administer illegal abortions in Alabama?

Go figure.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

And what of those who have been wrongly convicted?...
Just meh?

Far enough off topic anyway.

I'm glad we all agree that gaol is where we put people who are a danger to society, and in need of rehabilitation. And that he is a danger to society. Even if some people secretly agree with his views...

You’re essentially arguing that the discretion to take life is suited to some circumstances and not others, which is a contravention of the concept.
Actually, I'm saying that the life of the child is not compared to the life of the adult who chose their actions.

My own position is that there isn't any reason to take a life unless it's threating yours, someone else's or your property.

So I won't have my position questioned, words put in my mouth and my position reframed to suit an argument against Alabama because it's politically incorrect not to be in support of ending unborn human life.

Back