Managers, Clubs etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

James2

Senior List
Jun 6, 2000
Canberra (Essendon)
I know it might be difficult to answer this question objectivly, but who (should Hamill & Co leave), is to blame for the fiasco at Carlton.

Is it the club, because they blew a large section of the salary cap on one player. And also failing to secure other players on long term contracts earlier ie. last year???

Or

Is it the fault of the greedy manager, who, after signing one client to a squillion dollar deal, liked the thought of two new Mercs in the driveway and sought similar deals for other players at the same club??

P.S SHOULD Hamill and Co leave, what happens if Kouta wrecks his knee in pre-season and can't play for the rest of the year???

What say you???

All deals in footy go both ways...

Obviously, Carlton do not want to reach the demands - possibly due to salary cap restrictions.

The demands may be too high (which I suspect)...

I think you may find that they all end up staying with Carlton anyway...
I would imagine...

Matt

The managers job is to get the most he can for all clients. Once Kouta got his solid gold house and rocket car, then why shouldnt he try and get just as much as he can for the rest of the blokes on his books? If some other club can then afford to pay what the players require and carlton cant match it then the players choice is to either take the money and run or stay for what they may find less money but more loyalty.

When the other players see Kouta get what is reported to be 20% of Carlscums salary cap why shouldn't the rest be pissed off. Kouta is very good player who has had an outstanding year BUT that is one year and the previous ones have not been as productive. Carlscums own fault.

Again, the absolutely unbelievable arrogance of this club beggars belief.

After blowing 20 % of their salary cap on Koutafifis they expect the rest of them to stay and play for peanuts

I guess they figure playing for the Navy Blues is reward enough ?

Unbelievable - seriously.

Just so you all know, Anthony Koutoufides' money for playing is only $500,000 a year, The rest comes from endorsements.
As for the others Aaron Hamill is asking for $500,000, Matty Allan is asking for $600,000 and McKay $450,000. So all these players are good but not one of them is a matchwinner or superstar like Kouta. I mean, Macca is old, he's not getting any better. Matty Allan is a bit injury prone and nowhere near worth what he wants, and as for Aaron Hamill, I love the guy, he's a great player, important to the side, he's a real nice person and a major spunk but $500,000 for him is absolutely RIDICULOUS. He's yet to prove himself and if we are honest he's just another player.
As Big John said at the Best and Fairest, these players must decide whether they want to be loyal to a club that has looked after them well or go out and play for market value prices. None of those players are worth the asking price to Carlton But with Murphy gone, they will be able to afford it and these players will get what they want. They just better play like they've never played before, or they will be sorry.

As per usual Julia your head gets in the way of the truth. Have a look at the AFL news site and you will find that Kouta got a 4.5 - 6 mill for a five year deal. This puts him close to or way over 1 mill a year. That makes roughly 20% of Carlscums salary cap. And endorsements aern't counted in the salary cap. Carlscum falling apart like your love life. New boyfriend this week??

It doesn't matter if they do keep all their players. They are just playing for 2nd-16th anyway.

We Bombers are in a class of their own. I hope Carlton wastes some great teams in an era where they can't win a premiership, due to the dominace of Essendon. That would be soooo frustrating for them.

Imagine it. Carlton, have the backbone of a premiership calibre team for 2000-2001-2002, but due to Essendon, the Blues can't crack it for a flag.

Then, in 2003, the competition evens up, but Carlton goes downhill. If Carltons 2000-2001-2002 teams existed in 2003 they'd win the flag easily, but the club would have gone downhill by then.

Carlton have got a great team at the moment. They have just chosen the wrong era to have a strong team.

Ha ha ha. Bring on flag number 17 for the mighty Bombers. I can't wait already.

Settle down Dan.

Season 2001 is still 6 months away, a lot can happen in that time. You as an Essendon supporter, above all should know that.

The fact is that Kouta is not worth 20% of the entire Carlton salary cap. He might be one of the best in the league, but no player is worth that.

It's no good for Carlton, if Kouta gets all the money and he is the only one actually playing. Even he isn't that good.

Carlton splurged on Kouta and forgot about the other 41 players. Now they are paying the price, so to speak!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back