Strategy Managing the next period(Rnds 8,9,10,11)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Question for all y'all is how are we going to manage the next few rounds.

Because we have
Gold coast in Metricon(Sat arvo)
West coast in Perth ( Friday evening)
GWS At the MCG(Sunday early arvo)
Adelaide in TIO/Darwin( Saturday night)

It seems like a tricky prospect. Id say for the next two we just stay interstate or go to Optus a earlier than intended.

What do you all think?

Because we have

It seems like a tricky prospect. Id say for the next two we just stay interstate or go to Optus a earlier than intended.

What do you all think?
Horrible ideal. You're saving a total of about 1 hour of flight time (5.5hrs GC to Perth v 2.5hrs GC to Melb + 4hrs Melb to Perth), just to completely remove the players from their routine, beds, recovery facilities, families etc.

They're likely coming home on the 9.30 flight from the GC, so will be home late Saturday night, giving them 4 days at home before presumably flying out on Thursday

Horrible ideal. You're saving a total of about 1 hour of flight time (5.5hrs GC to Perth v 2.5hrs GC to Melb + 4hrs Melb to Perth), just to completely remove the players from their routine, beds, recovery facilities, families etc.

They're likely coming home on the 9.30 flight from the GC, so will be home late Saturday night, giving them 4 days at home before presumably flying out on Thursday

Just spit-balling ideas is all.
Yeah I figured that it would be like this: red-eye back to Melb then departing to Perth on a Thursday. Hopefully we get to go out on to Optus at least just to have a feel.

The issue will be managing personnel to keep them fresh. Both those that are injured (Viney) and the ones who may tire out over the month (Lockhart, Hore, Preuss that I can think of).

Viney needs to stay the hell out until he is certified 100% fit. Him yo-yo-ing in and out disrupts team balance and his form will reflect it too.

I would consider bringing in Preuss this week but honestly also not fazed if we give Keilty another run too. It's always good to get a few games under the belt and build up instead of one and done.

Lewis might be due for a 'rest' in there somewhere too.

It’s a make or break month.

We need 2 wins an a absolute minimum or our season is cooked.

If we can somehow jag 3 wins I will be surprised, but we will be back in contention for 8th spot.

I wouldn’t be suggesting anything too cute here - just best available team each week and suck up the travel.

It's an important period of our season coming up. If we win at least three out of our next four games then we're back in finals contention I'd say. Not ideal travelling interstate three times in our next four weeks, but our performances in that period will tell us a fair bit.

Our club should look at how soccer clubs rotate players during a season (EPL etc) . It's maybe why players are dropped or promoted when it makes no sense to us .I get the vibe that Goodwin has his best 22 no matter what, and the players coming in and out of the team are on the fringe and maybe not dropped or promoted because of form or rather for where they sit in his best 22 . Our list of injuries has forced his hand so far this season , and may of well hampered our shot at making the 8 this year , but so far we have had a look at a few of our "kids" and "B" team players ,and while they may not of looked like stars, we at least know where we are in so far as where our list is. For me personally i don't think we are close to a flag list , but who knows these days. And please MODS can we not get rid of the side bars of Hogan FFS

It’s a make or break month.

We need 2 wins an a absolute minimum or our season is cooked.

2 wins isn't nearly enough.

We have 15 games left. The remaining 15 games includes playing Collingwood twice, West Coast twice, GWS, and Richmond again. Assuming that 12 wins gets us into finals, we would need to go 10-5 in our remaining games.

Our percentage is woeful, and I don't see us belting teams to bring it back. This means we need even MORE wins required to ensure we have separation from 9th.

It's also worth noting that four teams missed the finals on 12 wins last year, further suggestings we'd need more than 12 wins to get in.

Tough ask... we'd probably need to go 4-1 before the bye for any chance.

Because we have

What do you all think?
Might make sense to stay interstate if it was GC/Darwin back to back, but not GC/Perth

I'd be all for sending a second string team to WCE. Even at full strength we're not going to get near them. Rest some players and have a crack at the GWS and Adel games which will clearly again be must win. Actually, if we lose this weekend, it doesn't matter how we approach the next month really does it. Could start to see some new faces get selected I suppose.

Precisely why I think we need a firing Viney to come in and have a big month and give the side momentum leading into 2nd half of year. If we get beaten then we just get him right for 2020.

Viney needs to stay the hell out until he is certified 100% fit. Him yo-yo-ing in and out disrupts team balance and his form will reflect it too.

What's the point of getting him 100% fit if the season is over though? If he can play at 90-95% fitness, i'd take him over every other vfl player and back him to push himself for a big month and help us win some games. Worry about niggles later.

The guy is a burst player, In for a month, out for a month. We get through with 3-4 wins and i think he then probably tweaks something and goes out again. He can reset for the difficult rounds 18-22

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be all for sending a second string team to WCE. Even at full strength we're not going to get near them. Rest some players and have a crack at the GWS and Adel games which will clearly again be must win. Actually, if we lose this weekend, it doesn't matter how we approach the next month really does it. Could start to see some new faces get selected I suppose.
Have you watched the Eagles last 3 weeks? They’ve been very ordinary. That’s one we would’ve pencilled in for a loss I think we can steal.

2 wins isn't nearly enough.

We have 15 games left. The remaining 15 games includes playing Collingwood twice, West Coast twice, GWS, and Richmond again. Assuming that 12 wins gets us into finals, we would need to go 10-5 in our remaining games.

Our percentage is woeful, and I don't see us belting teams to bring it back. This means we need even MORE wins required to ensure we have separation from 9th.

It's also worth noting that four teams missed the finals on 12 wins last year, further suggestings we'd need more than 12 wins to get in.

The side in 5th place only has 2 more wins than us.

If we go 2-2 this month it’s not ideal, but we won’t be dead.

If we hit round 12 5-7 we can still make finals. We need 13 wins because our percentage is so bad.

I posted this on the good bad ugly thread

I’m getting miles ahead of myself here, but we’ve got a tough run ahead the next 5 weeks. After GC we have eagles crows giants and pies. If we somehow managed to be 5-7 going into the bye we then have freo bris Carlton doggies
Get on a good run 9-7
Following that we have eagles saints tigers pies, split those we 2-2 leaving us 11-9. Finish off with swans at home and north. 13-9.

Am I just rediculous my optimistic

Either way the next 5 weeks will determine how much we get out of this season.

What

If we hit round 12 5-7 we can still make finals. We need 13 wins because our percentage is so bad.

I posted this on the good bad ugly thread

I’m getting miles ahead of myself here, but we’ve got a tough run ahead the next 5 weeks. After GC we have eagles crows giants and pies. If we somehow managed to be 5-7 going into the bye we then have freo bris Carlton doggies
Get on a good run 9-7
Following that we have eagles saints tigers pies, split those we 2-2 leaving us 11-9. Finish off with swans at home and north. 13-9.

Am I just rediculous my optimistic

Either way the next 5 weeks will determine how much we get out of this season.

Problem is you’re assuming we have a massive form turnaround which I still don’t see coming.

Problem is you’re assuming we have a massive form turnaround which I still don’t see coming.

No doubt my post was highly optimistic, to high for a Melbourne supporter. But we can dream. We are just likely to lose to GC, but knock off the eagles away.

* loads of booze a few bags of coke massive kick ons or hangovers never really know how the body respondes these days or if ill be getting blind out of joy or depression. Ill try T up work before every game so im not pacing and stressing like *. So yeah wont manage the next month well if we beat goldcoast then head off to the eagles game. Would rather lose this week so got excuse not to go

West Coast in Perth is next which is going to be a difficult task. We'll have to play better than any games we've played so far this year to win this one. Can't see us winning if we don't connect well going I50 which is still an issue for us atm. I'll be pleased if we do manage to get the win.

We won’t be getting a forward half dominance like we did tonight, maybe by default we will be more efficient with less entires 🤔

We won’t be getting a forward half dominance like we did tonight, maybe by default we will be more efficient with less entires 🤔

This exact scenario has happened a bit over the past couple of years. I remember a couple of years back we played Geelong at Etihad and dominated for 3 quarters. The ball wasn't leaving our forward half but we couldn't kick a goal. Too much flooding and dumb long kicks to packs in our forward 50.

I don't have a stat to back it up but I'd say the highest rate of goal scoring to forward 50 entries would be from transition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back