Manchester United Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
We're just an awfully run football club. There's a complete ambivalence towards footballing success from the owners and years of poor investment, high salaries, and an inability to move players on has bred as culture of complacency.

Half the players just aren't good enough for this level and most of the ones who are need a massive reality check.

We've turned over managers a few times now and rebuilt the squad but we're still seeing the same basic errors and insipid efforts. We have the resources to keep doing it but I just have no faith that anything will ever change under this ownership.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Yeah, look I seriously don’t know where we go from here, we’ve just fallen so far from what SAF built us into, and seeing the blue shite of Manchester year after year now smashing it just rubs it in.

I want to be a fly on the wall in our post match dressing room talks, the training ground drills, the set piece coach and what he actually ******* does, the defensive coach, pre match talk about the oppo, all of that because every single game I watch is and think “what the * are we doing out there”.

How many PL games this season have we actually looked good in? I’d seriously say the first game against Leeds and that’s it.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I think there’s definitely issues within the dressing room, and then also the players aren’t carrying out Raif’s instructions on game day, what hope has he got?

Shaw’s post match comments were telling, then Ralf was asked why we haven’t seen more of the press, he said we saw it for 30 mins against palace, and that they’re ‘trying’ to do it? Players just don’t give a s**t, honestly they’re just going out there all as individuals and playing however they want.

Realistically nothing was really going to change in the interim, Rangnick is getting a good look at the squad and the next two years he'll hopefully have a role in shaping the team and the football department.

Not much he can do but give youth more chances and start a proper rebuild. I do think we'll have Poch or ten Hag to take the reigns.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Boston Celtics, Patriots
I think both players and Rangnick need to take the blame either it's poor tactics on Ralfs part I don't get this 4-2-2-2 formation no one else uses it in the PL because it's so narrow. The players too need to take responsibility they look so deflated, not motivated to play and don't give a s**t when they lose.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

This photo alone tells me everything!

Other than Phil Jones because he hasn't played in like 2 years, everyone elses body language is so poor no passion to play for united only passion to play to get paid.

I look at this and think what chance do we have when your team looks like this.

Shaw comes out with all that smoke and yet he's part of the ******* problem like wake up.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
They’re all talk, no action. I’ve lost count the amount of times they’ve hit social media with the ‘not good enough’ crap. They’re all defeated, miserable, whatever it is, it’s a problem. OT just has such a negative and miserable feel around it at the moment, I don’t even look forward to watching us, has been that way for ages, just makes me angry and pissed off every time I do.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
They’re all talk, no action. I’ve lost count the amount of times they’ve hit social media with the ‘not good enough’ crap. They’re all defeated, miserable, whatever it is, it’s a problem. OT just has such a negative and miserable feel around it at the moment, I don’t even look forward to watching us, has been that way for ages, just makes me angry and pissed off every time I do.
Over this apology crap too apologise to us by lifting the performance and getting results actions speak louder than words.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Over this apology crap too apologise to us by lifting the performance and getting results actions speak louder than words.

Actions always speak louder. They say they need to be better, yet roll out the same poor performance with the same mistakes and same poor attitude with no passion or desire etc, so clearly they don’t care.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's a whole bunch of over paid, over priced deadwood that needs to be phased out and replaced with young, hungry professional footballers with the attitude required to work hard on their craft. The club is in a similar position to when SAF took over, with Ron Atkinson's team filled with excellent footballers who simply didn't have the right attitude to win. Back then it was old school pro's who played for themselves and for the after training pints and today it is over paid incumbents who don't on the whole have the necessary talent or drive to push the club forward.

A massive clean out is required which will take a few years to implement. The signing of Ragnick points to a growing understanding from inside that the club is well off the pace in terms of its recruitment and tactical approach, but the question is whether this recognition is 10 years too late. I worry that whilst Ragnick is undoubtedly a top operator that he may be a bit of yesterdays man when it comes to game day management and is better suited to a director of football role, with someone like ten Hag pushing the nuances of the overall on-field approach.

I think both players and Rangnick need to take the blame either it's poor tactics on Ralfs part I don't get this 4-2-2-2 formation no one else uses it in the PL because it's so narrow. The players too need to take responsibility they look so deflated, not motivated to play and don't give a sh*t when they lose.

The covid cases early on really halted Rangnick getting some decent training sessions in and really analyzing what he has, but I agree he should have a decent idea already.

There's a whole bunch of over paid, over priced deadwood that needs to be phased out and replaced with young, hungry professional footballers with the attitude required to work hard on their craft. The club is in a similar position to when SAF took over, with Ron Atkinson's team filled with excellent footballers who simply didn't have the right attitude to win. Back then it was old school pro's who played for themselves and for the after training pints and today it is over paid incumbents who don't on the whole have the necessary talent or drive to push the club forward.

A massive clean out is required which will take a few years to implement. The signing of Ragnick points to a growing understanding from inside that the club is well off the pace in terms of its recruitment and tactical approach, but the question is whether this recognition is 10 years too late. I worry that whilst Ragnick is undoubtedly a top operator that he may be a bit of yesterdays man when it comes to game day management and is better suited to a director of football role, with someone like ten Hag pushing the nuances of the overall on-field approach.

Spot on.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The covid cases early on really halted Rangnick getting some decent training sessions in and really analyzing what he has, but I agree he should have a decent idea already.
This gegenpressing that he spoke about and "rockstar football" style I still haven't seen.

Now as Swallow_Wood stated maybe he's better suited as a directors role, but we still should've had got someone at least with a better resume as a manager. Guus Hiddink idc someone that has a big club on their resume as a manager. I for one still think it is coming from the top these poors decisions that are being made.

LVG was right there is people at United that don't know a thing about football.

We are 10/15 points, changes in midfield are needed, no more games on reputation. Really Jones and Varane should be starting the next game, Dalot over AWB, toss up Shaw and Telles.

No more Matic as it makes us so damn slow.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This gegenpressing that he spoke about and "rockstar football" style I still haven't seen.

Now as Swallow_Wood stated maybe he's better suited as a directors role, but we still should've had got someone at least with a better resume as a manager. Guus Hiddink idc someone that has a big club on their resume as a manager. I for one still think it is coming from the top these poors decisions that are being made.

LVG was right there is people at United that don't know a thing about football.
It was there for 45 minutes in his first game and he is undoubtedly trying to implement it but for numerous reasons the players have not been able to get it going. This means that either the players can't do it because they physically aren't capable or mentally don't understand how to do it, or they don't want to do it. If its a question of understanding then I would imaging that the covid outbreak has really impacted training and a packed schedule has further exacerbated this. If its a question of players not wanting to, which I feel is a real issue, then there is real trouble.

I think the appointment of Ragnick as interim is positive, as it allows the club to take a breath whilst bringing in someone who will work longer term on resetting the direction of the club. I am not so comfortable with him continuing as manager for next season and would like ten Hag to be signed with Ralf driving club wide football operations from on high.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We are 10/15 points, changes in midfield are needed, no more games on reputation. Really Jones and Varane should be starting the next game, Dalot over AWB, toss up Shaw and Telles.

No more Matic as it makes us so damn slow.
We need 2 new central mids asap. Matic to go and McFred to be back ups. Our inability to play out through the middle absolutely kills us.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It was there for 45 minutes in his first game and he is undoubtedly trying to implement it but for numerous reasons the players have not been able to get it going. This means that either the players can't do it because they physically aren't capable or mentally don't understand how to do it, or they don't want to do it. If its a question of understanding then I would imaging that the covid outbreak has really impacted training and a packed schedule has further exacerbated this. If its a question of players not wanting to, which I feel is a real issue, then there is real trouble.

I think the appointment of Ragnick as interim is positive, as it allows the club to take a breath whilst bringing in someone who will work longer term on resetting the direction of the club. I am not so comfortable with him continuing as manager for next season and would like ten Hag to be signed with Ralf driving club wide football operations from on high.
Are we talking about the wolves game? Because I didn't see it at all Wolves had all the time in the world to make chances didn't they have like 9 shots in the first 25 minutes? I believe it's both tbh but yes more so the players because Ole was the scapegoat for them now they don't have anyone else to hide behind.

Need either Poch or Ten Haag whoever is available.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
We need 2 new central mids asap. Matic to go and McFred to be back ups. Our inability to play out through the middle absolutely kills us.
This is another ongoing problem we have and we are going in circles with it.

When it comes to transfers we are hopeless.

Under LVG first season we stacked our attack with falcao, di maria etc then our midfield and defence deteriorated, his second season we stacked the midfield then the attack deteriorated.

Under Mou we stacked stacked the defence then the midfield and attack deteriorated.

Under Ole everything has deteriorated only thing under Ole is that we signed one player in each of the main 3 parts but still way off.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are we talking about the wolves game? Because I didn't see it at all Wolves had all the time in the world to make chances didn't they have like 9 shots in the first 25 minutes? I believe it's both tbh but yes more so the players because Ole was the scapegoat for them now they don't have anyone else to hide behind.

Need either Poch or Ten Haag whoever is available.
It was his first game in charge, against Palace. It's as if the players knew what he excepted them to do and did it for 45 mins. Very little pressing since. Its as if its all too hard, what with covid and negative press etc.

Its mostly on the players IMO but they are also products of their environment. A big arsed broom is needed throughout the club and hopefully Ragnick can wield it along with a new coach come June.

Last edited:
I think our recent signings and expected targets are the right ideas, smarter buying of players and not focusing on those that will bring in commercial deals.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is another ongoing problem we have and we are going in circles with it.

When it comes to transfers we are hopeless.

Under LVG first season we stacked our attack with falcao, di maria etc then our midfield and defence deteriorated, his second season we stacked the midfield then the attack deteriorated.

Under Mou we stacked stacked the defence then the midfield and attack deteriorated.

Under Ole everything has deteriorated only thing under Ole is that we signed one player in each of the main 3 parts but still way off.
130million pounds in total on two sub-par defenders in Maguire and Wan-Bissaka. Central and defensive midfield is a joke and has been since SAF. Towards the end of his reign we were crying out for investment in the centre of the field and he kept saying that there was no value in the market. Well, that was a failure in recruitment in not being able to identify talent at a suitable price (which there always is) and a toeing of the Glazer line that has helped us get to the position we are in now.

Talent exists in the squad though. Forgetting Ronaldo and Cavani due to age, Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho are talents although form has been scratchy as hell. Bruno is a great player, Varane is a gun and Dave is back to his best. Shaw has been elite at times and Dalot and Telles show some signs too. Some of the youngsters show potential, with Teden Mengi a possibility along with Hannibal, Elanga and Amad. I reckon it will take two to three good transfer windows to bring the squad together and another 12-24 months for it to gel. It is a long term project and much must go right. Ragnick has trodden this path before with great success so we are in pretty good hands, but i'd prefer that he migrate upstairs and let ten Hag manage the team.

Last edited:
I'd do away with Maguire and get Kounde, is worth the money, would love him and Varane as the back pairing.
Bring in a striker like Haaland (dream although no UCL will kill that) or Vlahovic.
A top line DM (Rice the dream but there is options for cheaper).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back