Mandatory detention of refugees (Stop the boats. 5k a head. Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

http://mailchi.mp/61d681673cd8/media-release

Climbers unfurl Manus solidarity banner over Melbourne Cup celebrations

Two women have abseiled off a crane at Flemington Racecourse with a banner that reads “SOS: Evacuate Manus Now!”. As over 600 asylum seekers and refugees remain stranded on Manus Island,

Also parked a car on tracks blocking trains.

*en GOOD , may make and extra 1 or 2 people stop and think about what's happening there.

I think the majority of people do think about what has happened there and are sick of them. the country shoppers who sued us for millions and millions burnt detention centres to the ground the ones that have turned out to be terrorists/criminals have spoilt it for the deserving refugees

lol. The numbers are from his dept. Crikey admits they dont know the actual numbers (and Crikey have great form on this topic)

Nonetheless they had to admit

In 2011-2012, 87% (1673 people) of those that flew in to Indonesia arrived in Australia undocumented. Between June 30, 2012 and October 31, 2012 (the most recent time period available), 78% (1551 people) were undocumented.

The department says the average number of IMAs arriving without official documentation between 2008-2011 was 81.21%.
Would the department make such a nonsensical statement?
The average number would be a number...not a percentage. 81.21 percent of what?
The average number of Liberal Party members without a brain is 81.21 percent?
Maybe you meant to say was that the percentage of arrivals without official documentation is 81.21 percent.

What is the normal percentage of people who flee persecution or death who arrive without "official" documents? What percentage have their documents lost, stolen or destroyed purposefully by their persecutors, traffickers or those who prey on them?

Link to this alleged statement.

Last edited:
how come the 700 squatters on manus are men? have the women and children been relocated or did the men leave their wives/children to fend for themselves in the life threatening country they left?

Would the department make such a nonsensical statement?
The average number would be a number...not a percentage. 81.21 percent of what?
The average number of Liberal Party members without a brain is 81.21 percent?
Maybe you meant to say was that the percentage of arrivals without official documentation is 81.21 percent.

What is the normal percentage of people who flee persecution or death who arrive without "official" documents? What percentage have their documents lost, stolen or destroyed purposefully by their persecutors, traffickers or those who prey on them?

Link to this alleged statement.

To arrive in Indonesia by aircraft, they would have to have a passport on departure and then entry into Jakarta. Yet somehow, 81% lose their documentation. Lost by accident or destroyed under instruction? This destruction of documentation is not a recent phenomena (http://www.unhcr.org/4d9352319.pdf)

and for the record you would use the word "average" when describing the 2008-2011 period, otherwise it suggests 81% destroyed their documentation every year rather than average over the period. In the case covered by this article the 90% is well exceeded http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...s/news-story/7763efcc30d7368386ef6aa034662f04 and crickey refers to 78% for a period in 2012 https://www.crikey.com.au/2013/07/11/get-fact-how-many-asylum-seekers-turn-up-without-id/. 81% would seem within reasonable tolerance, especially for an article being negative on the matter.

There is no doubt this issue is a political and all sides participating misleading and deceptive conduct. The Senator Carr thing was amusing as there is NO island called Sabo Island in our region (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...k-a-head-part-2.1148210/page-20#post-53329871).

Turns out Sabo Island actually Saibai Island. This is hardly the east coast of Australia as described, rather it is 4km off PNG.

Last edited:
What would be your solution?

Don't speak for NSWCROW or anyone else, but the conditions in detention need to be improved and ensure the care and protection of all asylum seekers. How you go about achieving this, I don't know, but there should be 100% transparency, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it illegal to go and visit these regional processing centres and investigate them?

Missing in big ocean.
Your favourite topic, weren't they just quoting him?
Have a great life, don't give any coins to the homeless, bad for your image.

I suspect the liberals may have considered making refugees go missing in the big ocean. From a pure economic rationalist approach it makes sense.

'Sometimes when a boat arrives, it actually doesn't'.

That's double plus good evidence.

Evidence???

Who can forget the absurdity of Rudd govt policy changes and the claim (loudly repeated by the clueless like Fairfax and Crikey) that such changes wouldn't result in more arrivals?

I'm sure we've been over this before with regards to the percentages deemed to be genuine refugees and how pathetic the background checks into their claims are. iirc, I even posted comments by someone who used to work in this area who clearly stated that it's not possible to do anything other than a rudimentary check into the stories / background when they arrive with no identity.

She wont listen to reason. They throw away their documentation for a reason. Not hard to grasp why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can someone answer me this: the country shoppers who came here illegally lived on our expense then sued Australia sucking out 70 million from the tax payer- where are they now? did they go back to their 'horrible life threatening' own country and are living it up like kings on the thousands of dollars each of them pocketed?

FFS. They FLY to Indo.

Try getting on a plane without ID.

Passport please....

"I'm an asylum seeker and I don't wish to be identified as I fear persecution"

Oh OK, please sit with the other 81% at the back please

Two women have abseiled off a crane at Flemington Racecourse with a banner that reads “SOS: Evacuate Manus Now!”. As over 600 asylum seekers and refugees remain stranded on Manus Island,

****en GOOD , may make and extra 1 or 2 people stop and think about what's happening there.

I fully support the sentiment but parking a car on the rail tracks was very stupid, and probably makes Manus Island protesters look like a bunch of crazies willing to jeopardise peoples safety.

Doubt it will happen in my lifetime but I would love some posters on here experiencing the life of some of the refugees fleeing their home country.
Huge decision - stay there and the likely hood of being killed or take a boat trip and likely drown or not.

****en GOOD , may make and extra 1 or 2 people stop and think about what's happening there.

what's going on there? yes, we should all know what's going on there and hold the lawyers of the asylum seekers to account.

The lawyers wanted the facility closed and took the issue to the supreme court in PNG, that the facilities were unconstitutional. The courts agree and ordered the facilities closure.

The lawyers of the asylum seekers got their wish and somehow, it's someone else's fault?

Doubt it will happen in my lifetime but I would love some posters on here experiencing the life of some of the refugees fleeing their home country.
Huge decision - stay there and the likely hood of being killed or take a boat trip and likely drown or not.

That's just it, isn't it? Why risk your life to come here if it's safer to stay home?

yep

Australia can't control what goes on around the world but we can have one of the largest most sustainable immigration policies to support people starting a new life in Australia. We can continue to achieve this and manage the process to ensure our social services such as health, education, employment, welfare, housing etc aren't swamped. This ensures those that we can help, have the very best chance of a better life for the refugees and their future generations.

Alternatively we can sabotage a sustainable system and spread the pain and suffering.

help 15,000-25,000 per annum or support a people smuggling trade, destablise Indonesia and f up a sustainable resettlement system? geez......lets have a think about it.

yep

Australia can't control what goes on around the world but we can have one of the largest most sustainable immigration policies to support people starting a new life in Australia. We can continue to achieve this and manage the process to ensure our social services such as health, education, employment, welfare, housing etc aren't swamped. This ensures those that we can help, have the very best chance of a better life for the refugees and their future generations.

Alternatively we can sabotage a sustainable system and spread the pain and suffering.

help 15,000-25,000 per annum or support a people smuggling trade, destablise Indonesia and f up a sustainable resettlement system? geez......lets have a think about it.

we cant sustain it,if we take 25,000 or 250,000 there are still millions around the world that need help, how ever many come here the majority go onto social security for a long time not counting all the ther services they need we cant afford it and its costing us millions and millions to look after people that arnt even here and are living on some island by all means take 10,000 or so of the most deserving and the most likely that will assimilate but lets be realistic.

we cant sustain it,if we take 25,000 or 250,000 there are still millions around the world that need help, how ever many come here the majority go onto social security for a long time not counting all the ther services they need we cant afford it and its costing us millions and millions to look after people that arnt even here and are living on some island by all means take 10,000 or so of the most deserving and the most likely that will assimilate but lets be realistic.

regardless of the actual suitable number the debate must have a concept of sustainable within it

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parlia...bs/rp/rp1617/Quick_Guides/MigrationStatistics

I'd suggest we should be proud of our achievements and not s**t can it to be "cool" and have illogical left nutbag agendas

can someone answer me this: the country shoppers who came here illegally lived on our expense then sued Australia sucking out 70 million from the tax payer- where are they now? did they go back to their 'horrible life threatening' own country and are living it up like kings on the thousands of dollars each of them pocketed?
It's only by a fluke of birth that someone like you can look down your nose at these people.

Personally, I'd bet that they are far superior human beings to you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back