Mandatory detention of refugees (Stop the boats. 5k a head. Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay so the deterrent worked. Why? because we have ships patrolling. That can still continue.

I am so over posters making that comment, bullshit comment! The point is what to do with those genuine refugees in detention.

Garbage! Response is beneath you.

Good question. Their answer? because more will come. Can you not see the ridiculousness of that response?

Have they stopped the boats or not? Actually they haven't stopped the boats, they are still coming but are being turned back, the rest is just spin.
When you are desperate, you will do anything to get away.

How many of the people smugglers have been convicted? What deterrent has been made so that they don't pay people smugglers?

I don't think you've read and retained one single thing that anyone with an opposing view to you has said in this thread. All you ever come back with is your emotive clap trap.

140 pages or whatever in and you still post the same rubbish on the topic. Try Ctrl C and then Ctrl V, it would save you a lot of typing. Just copy your contribution and paste it ever few pages.

I don't think you've read and retained one single thing that anyone with an opposing view to you has said in this thread. All you ever come back with is your emotive clap trap.

140 pages or whatever in and you still post the same rubbish on the topic. Try Ctrl C and then Ctrl V, it would save you a lot of typing. Just copy your contribution and paste it ever few pages.
Yawn...your first three words are right. You don't 'think', so I ignore.

Last edited:
Yawn...your first three words are right. You don't 'think', so I ignore.

yet on one hand you are pro "save people from war torn countries" yet completely ignore the risk of destabilising nations like Indonesia

perhaps you're the one not thinking

Really, I cant imagine.. if you would please give us the circumstances?

Like Maggie, my family came here after the war. They were placed in work camps in country Victoria until they were security checked, determined disease free, skills assessed, language tested and accepted a job.

MSF ordered by Nauruan government to seize providing health services to refugees

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/06/nauru-orders-msf-to-stop-mental-health-work-on-island

Yep, Nauru are losing it.
Just for a bit of context:

1. Historically, IHMS have been contracted to provide health services on Nauru and Manus, similarly to how they provide health services on Christmas Island and on-shore detention centres as well.

2. There are strict contractual requirements between IHMS and Home Affairs, including on the nature of medical reports.

3. There have been a number of former IHMS staff condemn the contractual relationship with Home Affairs, explaining that it puts the people they are responsible for at risk of harm, which goes against the hippocratic oath.

4. The severe impact of held detention on mental health (particularly on children) is well documented.

5. So when MSF were granted access to Nauru, the assessments they made took into account that severe impact and their reports weren't bound by contractual requirements with Home Affairs, so we're much more frank and compelling than the reports from IHMS.

6. A court case was heard in Australia that used the MSF reports to support the argument that Australia had a duty of care for the people on Nauru, which was affirmed by the court and the people represented in that case were transferred to Australia for treatment.

7. A number of subsequent cases have been heard and Home Affairs has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars unsuccessfully fighting each case.

8. Rather than chartering a flight to bring all the people subject to these cases to Australia, Home Affairs has been putting them on commercial flights one family by one family, so as to avoid the media reporting too much on what is happening.

9. Home Affairs has put pressure on Host International, who provide casework support on Nauru to those found to be refugees. Host has then instructed staff that they are not to refer any clients to MSF and to report to their manager if they know of a colleague making a referral to MSF.

10. Nauru is of course a small island and word has spread not only about the service MSF offers, but that getting a report of the psychological impact of their detention vastly increases their chance of their case being heard in an Australian court and possibly leading to being brought to Australia for treatment.

So now we are at the point where Nauru has stopped flights from taking refugees to Australia for medical or psychiatric treatment (meaning Home Affairs can't comply with Australian court orders) and has essentially expelled MSF from the island (the irony of the organisation's name in times like these doesn't escape me), despite them also providing medical care and support to the Nauruan people.

Whether or not these decisions have been made in cahoots with the Australian government or it is simply the Nauruan government trying to hold onto their only source of income is irrelevant. What all this simply proves is that the whole thing is a complete and utter farce and should be ended immediately.

8. Rather than chartering a flight to bring all the people subject to these cases to Australia, Home Affairs has been putting them on commercial flights one family by one family, so as to avoid the media reporting too much on what is happening.

Supposedly on commercial flights on a state-owned airline as well.

any explanation why Nauru invited MSF to leave?

unfortunately they lost credibility when they focused on Australia's policy as they showed themselves as a political organisation rather than a health organisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MSF press conference today addressing and revealing the confronting realities of the Nauru operation

They actually said a lot more than I expected they would.

All this is similar to when Dutton expelled the Save the Children organisation accusing them of influencing only to be successfully sued by them.

any explanation why Nauru invited MSF to leave?

unfortunately they lost credibility when they focused on Australia's policy as they showed themselves as a political organisation rather than a health organisation.
I'd hardly consider revoking someone's visa to be an invitation to leave though

I'd hardly consider revoking someone's visa to be an invitation to leave though

You’re invited in and invited out under international law.

Was it explained why they were united to leave? Interesting that MSF didn’t say

You’re invited in and invited out under international law.

Was it explained why they were united to leave? Interesting that MSF didn’t say

Actually to be technical, under a visa system you aren't invited in. You are accepted in. As was the case for all MSF personnel who had to make visa applications.

IHMS may have been "invited" in as contractors for medical services, but certainly not MSF.

Not sure what the official reasons were for why MSF were evicted

Last edited:
What would Scott Morrison god and saviour say about this? I'm pretty sure leaving kids to top themselves on a sand bar in the Pacific isn't something encouraged in the bible. If only he could find a way to monetise these kids, then the scum at Hillsong would be all over them.
Surely Morrison could have found a way to use them to promote the Everest.

Actually to be technical, under a visa system you aren't invited in. You are accepted in. As was the case for all MSF personnel who had to make visa applications.

IHMS may have been "invited" in as contractors for medical services, but certainly not MSF.

Not sure what the official reasons were for why MSF were evicted

I think the answer is in the video.

Foreigners engaging in political activity is frowned upon in most nations.

Coming in as a medical organisation and actually engaging in political activism is not in good faith. Same said for the many other charities that are simply fronts for military intelligence.

The disgraced Save the Children.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...e-children-cut-off-from-uk-government-funding

Save the Children is to suspend bidding for UK government funding in the wake of the scandal over alleged sexual abuse and inappropriate behaviour by staff in the charity sector.
You could have just linked about the sexual assaults against refugees in Nauru and PNG by security staff unless of course you are more concerned about the organisations and not the assaults.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back