Mandatory detention of refugees (Stop the boats. 5k a head. Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

You completely disregard the blatantly obvious. If you dont have detention centres then all the economic migrants will likely never be deported and as such the numbers departing for Australia will increase dramatically (see what happened after Rudd scrapped Howard's policies). I remember chuckling at someone on here quoting a Crikey article saying that it wouldnt result in more illegal immigrants attempting to come to Australia. Laughably wrong.

That is effectively open floodgates.

NB it is pathetic to call them concentration camps, the illegal immigrants are free to leave whenever they want.
Do you believe even one of those refugees is genuinely in fear of their lives? If so, the choice between indefinite imprisonment and death is no choice at all. Also, what else do we call a camp in which people are concentrated because of their socioeconomic conditions?

We still have this absurd either or debate in this country where you are either on in favour of the current policy, or you're immediately accused of supporting open borders. The saddest thing is that we're not even looking for a third way to process refugees in the area which doesn't involve open borders, and doesn't involve gross human rights violations. Like not even trying.
But thats impossible. Even if you accept that some of these people were real refugees they are right at the botton of the unhcr list of most needy and would be rejected or placed on a waiting list for years. The situation is mutually exclusive you can not have a humane third way.

But thats impossible. Even if you accept that some of these people were real refugees they are right at the botton of the unhcr list of most needy and would be rejected or placed on a waiting list for years. The situation is mutually exclusive you can not have a humane third way.
Where do you get this idea from? There is no 'queue' and many of these refugees come from places where there is not a UN centre at which to present.

Where do you get this idea from? There is no 'queue' and many of these refugees come from places where there is not a UN centre at which to present.
There is a queue intake from ME and Africa has gone down to accomodate mostly economic refugees.

Do you believe even one of those refugees is genuinely in fear of their lives? If so, the choice between indefinite imprisonment and death is no choice at all. Also, what else do we call a camp in which people are concentrated because of their socioeconomic conditions?

yeah those evil Indonesians are putting the fear of god in them so they have to flee to Australia

yeah those evil Indonesians are putting the fear of god in them so they have to flee to Australia
Indonesia is not a signatory to the Refugee Convention; there are no protections and no guarantees against extradition.

But yes, a regional solution is preferable. Instead of wasting billions on camps that look like they cost a couple hundred bucks from BCF, perhaps they could redirect that money to a UN processing centre in Indonesia. No one gets to Australian shores until they are processed and the burden is shared across the region. And to think, I'm not even getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and I was able to come up with one alternative that deserves discussion.

Do you believe even one of those refugees is genuinely in fear of their lives? If so, the choice between indefinite imprisonment and death is no choice at all.

Even one? So you would release them all because just one maybe legitimate? Wow.

We know that most of the people in those camps fly to indo and choose to get rid of their ID docs. It doesnt take a genius to join the dots from there.

FFS you would think people would learn a lesson from the utter disaster unfolding in Europe.

Also, what else do we call a camp in which people are concentrated because of their socioeconomic conditions?

Adelaide

There clearly is a queue. For all their supposed social conscience the Guardianista reading muppets want illegal economic migrants to be able to enter Australia knowing full well they will take the spot of of real refugees in UN camps.

Indonesia is not a signatory to the Refugee Convention; there are no protections and no guarantees against extradition.

But yes, a regional solution is preferable. Instead of wasting billions on camps that look like they cost a couple hundred bucks from BCF, perhaps they could redirect that money to a UN processing centre in Indonesia. No one gets to Australian shores until they are processed and the burden is shared across the region. And to think, I'm not even getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and I was able to come up with one alternative that deserves discussion.

That wouldn't have worked with Tommy Suharto and Subianto profiteering from the trade. Especially considering SBY and Subianto were in cahoots.

them bloody refugees comin ere taking our jebs n welfare ad not respecting our laws and our way of loife, *in let em rot in detention, bloody brown bastards. not racist but if you cant speak english don't come here, you know what i mean? Not racist but multicultralisms been a disater the commies n unions ruined thiz campaignerry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not much of a discussion, because Indonesia and most of the ASEAN nations do not want to take part in any regional refugee deal. They do not want to alter their current laws surrounding refugees and they don't care what happens in Aus.

Not to mention that there isn't anything about Indonesia that would stop the mooted processing centre from deteriorating to the point where it becomes Manus 2.0.

them bloody refugees comin ere taking our jebs n welfare ad not respecting our laws and our way of loife, ****in let em rot in detention, bloody brown bastards. not racist but if you cant speak english don't come here, you know what i mean? Not racist but multicultralisms been a disater the commies n unions ruined thiz campaignerry.

We carn afford ta letemin! I'm not racis it is just econ... ecomon... it just costs too much!

And then they wool want shaaareea law! But that isn't the point. We carn afford it! And look at the place. It was spot the Aussie down the Westfield today! But it's about the money.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We carn afford ta letemin! I'm not racis it is just econ... ecomon... it just costs too much!

And then they wool want shaaareea law! But that isn't the point. We carn afford it! And look at the place. It was spot the Aussie down the Westfield today! But it's about the money.

yeah right on aye bloody take care of our own first, these farkin lefties don't care about the homeless. I mean i don't either i just pretend i do to take a cheap shot at the towelheads i mean um yeah as i said take care of our own first aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi! * off we're full!

yeah right on aye bloody take care of our own first, these farkin lefties don't care about the homeless. I mean i don't either i just pretend i do to take a cheap shot at the towelheads i mean um yeah as i said take care of our own first aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi! **** off we're full!

Had a few froffies tonight have we Coolangatta ? ;)

Even one? So you would release them all because just one maybe legitimate? Wow.

We know that most of the people in those camps fly to indo and choose to get rid of their ID docs. It doesnt take a genius to join the dots from there.

FFS you would think people would learn a lesson from the utter disaster unfolding in Europe.
No, I was attempting to get you to acknowledge some basic facts about the situation but you have skated around the topic like a pro.

There clearly is a queue. For all their supposed social conscience the Guardianista reading muppets want illegal economic migrants to be able to enter Australia knowing full well they will take the spot of of real refugees in UN camps.
There is no queue. If you make it to a UN centre, you aren't assigned a number and then leave when you're number comes round. You are at the whim of which country is taking people from which regions, which religions, which sex, which age group etc. You could easily spend a decade in a UN camp with no guarantee you will get anywhere.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

lol.

and people wonder why trump won and the uk is leaving the EU.

There is no queue. If you make it to a UN centre, you aren't assigned a number and then leave when you're number comes round. You are at the whim of which country is taking people from which regions, which religions, which sex, which age group etc. You could easily spend a decade in a UN camp with no guarantee you will get anywhere.

Its a priority queue similar to a queue in the emergency department of a hospital.

Just because you came there first doesn't mean you'll be treated first.

However there is no incentive for asylum seekers (who have the means) to stay put at the closest point of sanctuary until places like Europe enforce their borders.

People like to pick on the worst aspects of Australia's policy and miss the big picture: The reason John Howard's strategy was effective was because of three prongs: boat turnbacks, offshore detention and Temporary protection visas.

There are failsafes to relieve pressure in case the s**t hits the fan ie: you can't possibly turn back every boat, keep the majority in detention forever etc.

Labor learnt this the hard way when they tried to emulate the policy without boat turnbacks and TPVs. The number of arrivals slowed considerably but not to zero leaving a couple thousand people stuck in limbo on manus and nauru.

Last edited:
No, I was attempting to get you to acknowledge some basic facts about the situation but you have skated around the topic like a pro..

What basic facts? You dont present any.

There is no queue.

You I assume are very well aware that illegal immigrants arriving by boat granted refugee status in Australia take an allocation out of the yearly intake and thus bump genuine refugees from UN camps.

So, yes there clearly is a queue in reality.

Letting them in wont create demand, i can post a Crikey article to prove my point! Can even get some egghead to do some statistical analysis to prove it. Humour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back