Mandatory Vaccinations And Medical Exemptions

Are you for or against Mandatory Vaccinations

• For

Votes: 292 57.4%
  • Against

Votes: 221 43.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So many things are already mandated in society to keep people safe. Speed limits and seat belts are a great example. Now, you don't have to wear a seat belt or do the speed limit, but, eventually, you'll lose the "right" to drive as a result as your actions would be putting other people at risk. Similarly, no one will have to get a vaccine, but where that decision puts other people at risk expect to lose "rights".
False equivalency.
You will likely still "catch" the virus when double vacc (which I am), and will still infect others.
If you want a corollary to driving, it would be that you are a safe driver, but every so often you can speeds up to 100kph and your seatbelt disengages randomly. And you are in a safe car, are aware of it and drive accordingly without risking others rather than be ignorant of it.
From everything I see, vaccinations (which aren't 99% + effective) are predominately to protect the individual, and keep the peak community case load at a level that the health system can cope with. Thinking it's gonna stop everyone from getting sick is not realistic.
Be great if as many as possible did, if only to protect them rather than protect me.

Got a link to this mandate that says everyone has to be vaccinated? Love to see it

Ok, the vic gov brought in the legislation to di it last year where proportionate but has so far not used it. Construction workers were mandated under the Chief health orders capacity same as everything else and covered by the state of emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Given vaccine hesitancy continues to drop, I don't think mandatory vaccinations are worth pursuing. Anti-vaxxers are very much a minority. When we open up, the virus is likely to burn through the un-vaccinated. So be it.

Mandates are for for the last 10%. Personally prefer social pressure such as they did in sydney with the construction workers whereby they said it’s either 1 dose, PCR every 3 days or a rat test everyday and until fully vaxed it’s 50% capacity. Worked a treat as most just found vax the easiest option.

1000 dollar fines. For repeated offences and complete disregard for the laws home isolation with monitoring device sounds reasonable.

ofcourse they could just avoid the latter by just agreeing to get a vaccine like everyone else.

during the world wars we forced 18 year olds to go face a wall of bullets. It was mandatory. Not a choice.

cry me a river if you think during a highly infectious and deadly pandemic that forcing people to get a vaccine is a massive vioolation of rights.

what would your great grand parents think if you chose not to get a vaccine. Utter free riding losers is what they would think of you. Some may even consider you traitors to your country.

Do you many any unvaccinated people? I don’t really. My daughter had Az in Syd and she was the last person I know of. But I dread coming across friends of friends who I suspect are ivermectin supporting naturopaths unvaccinated.

Are people against vaccinations deep down just giant man babys who dont like needles?

No they’re people who don’t like being told and truly believe they see the world as it is but who in fact have a skew-whiff perspective.

Singapore has 80 percent of its population double dosed. Not 80 percent of over 16s but 80 percent of total population. Over 90 percent of adults.

and it is going back into a one month lockdown.

The only way out of this is mandatory vaccines. It is happening. Its just a matter of how long we all come to this realisation.

Singapore is another victim of Pfizer. Luckily just a tick under half the eligible population is Az. Pfizer efficacy longevity is really biting. Watch out New Zealand you gits.

They have peaked at 2 deaths so for a country the size of Melbourne. While they may be going into lockdown that’s on Singapore I dare say no other western country would do the same

More likely to explode given density.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you many any unvaccinated people? I don’t really. My daughter had Az in Syd and she was the last person I know of. But I dread coming across friends of friends who I suspect are ivermectin supporting naturopaths unvaccinated.

My wife has got a friend that was already on the alternative medicine bandwagon. The irony is her family always seem to be sick whereas we always seem to be fine. She always notes "Now I know you don't believe in homeopathy, reiki, numerology, etc" which is spot on. I don't. She also seems to be forking over a huge amount of cash to these practitioners.

The other person is my mother-in-law (and all Vegas jokes aside) we've been trying to get her to see the light to no avail. She's nuts anyways - she believes the government flies helicopters to her house to watch her (and that's just the tip of the iceberg) but she won't budge. She's happy for us to get vaccinated and thinks that will protect her - we've noted that it may to a certain extent but we can still get it and pass it on. And once we open up, the virus will circulate pretty hard through the community. And with her current state of health, I reckon even a mild case would probably do her in. Her solution is we stay in lockdown for all perpetuity.

Ah well, it's their choices, they'll have to live by them.

Not doubting the general science, but an interesting article providing a death toll since Feb last year it seems, against vaccinated deaths since, what, 3-4 months?

Good call. So here's a piece from the Conversation pulling together various sources

False equivalency.
You will likely still "catch" the virus when double vacc (which I am), and will still infect others.
If you want a corollary to driving, it would be that you are a safe driver, but every so often you can speeds up to 100kph and your seatbelt disengages randomly. And you are in a safe car, are aware of it and drive accordingly without risking others rather than be ignorant of it.
From everything I see, vaccinations (which aren't 99% + effective) are predominately to protect the individual, and keep the peak community case load at a level that the health system can cope with. Thinking it's gonna stop everyone from getting sick is not realistic.
Be great if as many as possible did, if only to protect them rather than protect me.
People wearing seat belts still die in car crashes.

People wearing safety gear and following OH&S procedures still suffer workplace accidents.

Just because something doesn't prevent 100% doesn't mean that it can't (a) reduce risk of an incident, and (b) reduce the consequences if the incident does happen.

This "If a vaccine's not 100% effective then it's useless" line that anti-vaxxers keep regurgitating is illogical.

Why would the AFL risk vaxed players health against players with a selfish fringe view?
To suggest that it’s selfish (and I am very much jabbed up) is probably to misrepresent motive. I suspect it is more so that people who consciously choose not to get vaccinated do so out of fear and a mistaken belief that it will lead to worse health outcomes.

More broadly, I am in favour of vaccine passports and the like for high-risk activities. Things like being in a hospital (except as a patient), going to a rock concert, going to a nightclub, indoor dining, catching urban public transport etc. IMO going to a stadium with 90k people or being part of a large, elite sports team qualifies.

I don’t like it, but the risk someone introduces to others through being unvaccinated in a given scenario needs to be weighed against their right not to be coerced into a particular medical treatment. Giving up going to the footy is not a high price to pay relative to the risk you would otherwise introduce.

I know a few who refuse. All of my close friends got vaccinated as quickly as possible. I dont actually understand the mindset of those who dont. Apparently its a mix of poorly educated and highly educated PhD types who think they are smart but have PhDs in the non-sciences.

I dont know of any STEM types who are opposed to getting vaccinated.

I know a few who refuse. All of my close friends got vaccinated as quickly as possible. I dont actually understand the mindset of those who dont. Apparently its a mix of poorly educated and highly educated PhD types who think they are smart but have PhDs in the non-sciences.

I dont know of any STEM types who are opposed to getting vaccinated.
My cousin is an osteo (ie the ones who think they’re doctors, without doing an MD) and is strongly opposed. Worse, because he has a qualification with the word “health” in it, he is not exactly going to listen to anyone.

To suggest that it’s selfish (and I am very much jabbed up) is probably to misrepresent motive. I suspect it is more so that people who consciously choose not to get vaccinated do so out of fear and a mistaken belief that it will lead to worse health outcomes.
So complete an utter idiocy is what you are saying.

i would have more respect for them if they were doing it for selfish reasons.

Does the rights of the individual overwrites the responsibility of the individual?
Does the rights of the fringe idot causing harm out rank the rights of the majority doing the right thing for both themselves and humanity?

no one ever complains about the rights of a thief when we lock him up for robbing someone.

this is no different. The anti vax during a pandemic are crooks who dont deserve the same rights as the rest of us because their freedom takes away from our right to live in a safe environment. And this is by their choice.

Back