Mandatory Vaccinations And Medical Exemptions

Are you for or against Mandatory Vaccinations

• For

Votes: 292 57.4%
  • Against

Votes: 221 43.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The bolded isn't as good as it sounds, as 75% of south Africans are unvaxed.

Hospitalization stats aren't necessarily reflective of severity, as the way hospitals are used around the world varies considerably. Eg in some countries, Emergency departments are used like GPs and short stays can occur for very minor illnesses. I'm not sure what the situation is like in South Africa in terms of hospital use.

Even though there's usually a fair lag between cases and deaths - 2 week median from positive test to death - it's still looking good that deaths haven't spiked yet. I've still got my fingers crossed that this is going to be a milder strain.
It depends on if an ED visit is deemed an admission or a presentation and if admissions are recorded as different data rather than as presentations.
I am not sure on that in SA, but will check :)

you don't think its worrisome that covid has progressed from under 5s not even getting any symptoms to getting symptoms requiring at least a visit to the doctor? in essence that the symptoms of covid are getting worse and more widespread?

plus thats all based on the assumption that SA uses hospitals like a GP clinic. Given they probably dont have a greatly resourced hospital system (or at least unevenly resourced) that seems a stretch.
Worrisome is the wrong word. It looks like kids are getting sicker so that is worrisome. But until deaths start accruing, we can't assume that it's bad news.

Maybe it's evolution has put it in line with the other respiratory diseases that continually circulate, where under 5s and elderly get the sickest, but it doesn't cause more death than we can deal with. Yes, wishful thinking, but until deaths accrue, it's not without hope.

It tends to be poor areas of the world where emergency departments are used as GP, as there often isn't enough resources for a good network of GP on top of the hospitals I'm not assuming this is the case with South Africa, just pointing out that hospitalisation alone isn't the full measure and more info is needed. It's one of the many reasons why DYOR is so flawed. All numbers need to drilled down on by experts with way more knowledge of circumstances.

Last edited:
Worrisome is the wrong word. It looks like kids are getting sicker so that is worrisome. But until deaths start accruing, we can't assume that it's bad news.

Maybe it's evolution has put it in line with the other respiratory diseases that continually circulate, where under 5s and elderly get the sickest, but it doesn't cause more death than we can deal with. Yes, wishful thinking, but until deaths accrue, it's not without hope.

It tends to be poor areas of the world where emergency departments are used as GP, as there often isn't enough resources for a good network of GP on top of the hospitals
hopefully thats the case. i'm concerned that things are generally getting worse not better. sure this mutation might not be too bad, but the next one might be now that its starting to effect kids too. Sure either viruses like the cold and flu mutate yearly, but they seem to stay roughly equivalent each year. So far the trend is only upward, and covid seems to mutate so quickly and is only getting more infectious and symptomatic that who knows what could happen.

plus the antivaxxers have used our children as a tool for their conspiracies so much, im weary of downplaying the risks to them and putting them in any risk danger than they already are.

Without any scientific knowledge on the subject I wonder whether Omnicron is simply more likely to infect under fives and while the symptoms are less severe the threshold for taking your child to hospital is much lower than how sick you'd need to be to take yourself. I know the level of illness required for me to get help for my child (thankfully haven't had the need to ever do it) would be drastically less than what I would need to be myself before reaching out to doctors.

hopefully thats the case. i'm concerned that things are generally getting worse not better.

Could still go in either direction.

Covid mutations have been worse so far, but theories on the Spanish flu have the early mutations making it worse before it later mutated to be milder - ending the pandemic.

Crazy idea…
Take some vit D and Zinc supplements AND get the vaccine
Healthy immune system, assist in calcium absorption and extra protection from covid

that is ******* crazy

Could still go in either direction.

Covid mutations have been worse so far, but theories on the Spanish flu have the early mutations making it worse before it later mutated to be milder - ending the pandemic.
Isn't there some indication that the latest variant is a little milder across most age groups?
Early days yet obviously.

Isn't there some indication that the latest variant is a little milder across most age groups?
Early days yet obviously.

Yes.

Of course, we won't know until the fullness of time just how severe/mild it is, its ability to evade current vaccines etc, but early indications are promising. I think it's safe to say we are all hoping it's milder, and that our vaccines are still largely effective.

I don't like that slur of 'anti-vaxxer' that people throw around to discredit someone that has reservations about the leaky first generation COVID vaccines developed via 'Operation Warp Speed'. When you're getting a medical treatment for what looks to be the rest of your life, you want that medical treatment to be developed via a programme named 'Operation Warp Speed' don't you?

* off troll.

I don't like that slur of 'anti-vaxxer' that people throw around to discredit someone that has reservations about the leaky first generation COVID vaccines developed via 'Operation Warp Speed'. When you're getting a medical treatment for what looks to be the rest of your life, you want that medical treatment to be developed via a programme named 'Operation Warp Speed' don't you?
If you’re not vaccinated for those reservations you’re an anti-vaxxer
I’d say you fit the bill

New account... Only 2 posts... Only in the coronavirus area... Questionable user name...

Hmmm... Could this be a troll account? Nah... Surely not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no misinformation.

Operation Warp Speed ✔
Vaccines are 'leaky' ✔
Medical treatment for life (certainly looks as though we're headed that way requiring boosters indefinitely to be able to participate in society) ✔

Nothing wrong with being cautious about these things.
You initially mentioned first generation vaccines, what are the second ones??

Please explain.

Most of the posters here are pretty boring just main stream science and medical consensus I wish I could belong to a special secret society to make me feel special
I guess I swallowed the wrong pill
For those who want to feel validated in uncertainty and paranoia listen to the dark horse podcast or Joe “I’m a complete idiot don’t listen to me” podcast
Poor me I’ll just have to watch sympathetically as the hydra of conspiracy theorist are cut down
Just kidding this thread gives me hope for humanity sometimes the vocal minority can slide not here

Most of the posters here are pretty boring just main stream science and medical consensus I wish I could belong to a special secret society to make me feel special
I guess I swallowed the wrong pill
For those who want to feel validated in uncertainty and paranoia listen to the dark horse podcast or Joe “I’m a complete idiot don’t listen to me” podcast
Poor me I’ll just have to watch sympathetically as the hydra of conspiracy theorist are cut down
Just kidding this thread gives me hope for humanity sometimes the vocal minority can slide not here
Not serious about the boring bit I respect the posters here to use as one level of information as whether to vaccinate my 9 year old still waiting on results from USA
But no heart problems so far looks promising have a 4 year old as well so all legitimate research is much appreciated

Back