Covid-19 Mandatory vaccines

Remove this Banner Ad

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Gates' Payroll
AFL Club
Carlton
https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infec...d-19-vaccination-case-surveillance-051121.pdf

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference.
The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:

Pessimistic

Make me an Admin!
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Agreed, curfew was overkill. Am ok with mandating no jab no job.

I’m more annoyed at his reported attempt to “govern from the grave”; but that’s an issue for next election.
Suffice to say I appreciated your concerns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
‘all the same I’m shunning these various apps wherever I can. I don’t like the consequences, even the unintended data security issues becaus they have been thrown together quickly.

Victoria’s data protection mandates that data collection can only be used for the original case. It cannot be re-used for other cases. But govts ate riding roughshod over these protections and even more alarmingly a huge mount of people are cheering them on

witch hunt sprung to mind. I’m in the UK where they are discussing whether witches killed by the state in Scotland should get a pardon and a better memorial.
On the radio more than a Couple of people rung in and said it was a good thing or dangerous witchcraft would be more prevalent today.

that is UTTER UTTER nonsense

Opine

Premium Gold
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
‘all the same I’m shunning these various apps wherever I can. I don’t like the consequences, even the unintended data security issues becaus they have been thrown together quickly.

Victoria’s data protection mandates that data collection can only be used for the original case. It cannot be re-used for other cases. But govts ate riding roughshod over these protections and even more alarmingly a huge mount of people are cheering them on

witch hunt sprung to mind. I’m in the UK where they are discussing whether witches killed by the state in Scotland should get a pardon and a better memorial.
On the radio more than a Couple of people rung in and said it was a good thing or dangerous witchcraft would be more prevalent today.

that is UTTER UTTER nonsense
caller/s might have been referring to trial by ordeal; it was a range of cruel ways of trying people for crimes in UK many years ago. Those who failed the tests of innocence were often branded as witches. Governments have done some crazy stuff through out history.

Last edited:

Pessimistic

Make me an Admin!
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
caller/s might have been referring to trial by ordeal; it was a range of cruel ways of trying people for crimes in UK many years ago. Those who failed the tests of innocence were often branded as witches. Governments have done some crazy stuff through out history.
cheered on by James I and there was plenty of sexually deviant shitgoing on by the torturers apparently.

Opine

Premium Gold
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I wonder if you are missing the point? Sweden has had much less impositions on freedoms but they have arrived in a better place than Australia, Victoria in particular.

I have addressed this previously.

I am in favour of vaccination for the usual range of childhood diseases. I have previously highlighted beneficial side effects where vaccination for one disease can give protection against another.

With Covid-19 I think it's sensible to strongly recommend the vaccine for the elderly, with mandatory for aged care and health workers. Make it available for all others who want to get it - but I don't see the rationale to have it mandatory for everyone.

It's clear that the vaccines don't prevent infections and often don't prevent serious illness. There needs to be good quality evaluations of treatments, but the research is biased against cheap and proven safe existing drugs by the huge financials involved.
You still haven’t answered my questions :)

owen87

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
How many dead?
He neglects that Sweden amended their laws at the end of 2020 to allow them to enact actual restrictions instead of the previous limitation to only have recommendations.

Also that for much of Australia, they've had more freedoms through this period than Sweden.

bzparkes

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
You know, people can quote numerous statistics, research, concerns and whatever.

What it really boils down to is one thing and one thing only: We, as a society, don't like being told what to do by our government. Most people (around 95% of them) reconcile this fact with their belief that they're doing it for the greater good.

5% think that they're the 'silent majority' and paste rubbish all over social media to dissuade others when in reality, they're like a kid who refuses to brush their teeth. They know it's in their best health interest, they simply don't want to do it because it's being imposed on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorted

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham
How many dead?
Vaccine mandates are about current policy in an environment where Sweden and Australia have similar vaccination rates.

Sweden has very minimal restrictions compared to Victoria. No vaccine passports, and no one losing their job because they chose not to vax. There's also no mandatory mask wearing. No limits on gathering in homes, bars or restaurants. No curfews. No movement limits. Schools are open. Soccer stadiums are full.

But despite the minimal restrictions Sweden has a lower number of current cases and fatalities than Victoria. Sweden currently has about 1 Covid-19 death per day. Victoria with a smaller population has about 12 Covid-19 deaths per day.

How does this support mandatory vaccination policies?

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
You know, people can quote numerous statistics, research, concerns and whatever.

What it really boils down to is one thing and one thing only: We, as a society, don't like being told what to do by our government. Most people (around 95% of them) reconcile this fact with their belief that they're doing it for the greater good.

5% think that they're the 'silent majority' and paste rubbish all over social media to dissuade others when in reality, they're like a kid who refuses to brush their teeth. They know it's in their best health interest, they simply don't want to do it because it's being imposed on them.
I tend to agree and I'm a little uneasy with the mandate, whether it be direct or indirect. Though I was happy to get the vaccine so it didn't really worry me in the end.

I do feel bad for the "silent majority" though, most people think they're dumb and look like dick heads.

bzparkes

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I tend to agree and I'm a little uneasy with the mandate, whether it be direct or indirect. Though I was happy to get the vaccine so it didn't really worry me in the end.

I do feel bad for the "silent majority" though, most people think they're dumb and look like dick heads.
The funniest thing about 'Silent majorities' is that they almost always lose in everything to the actual majority and there's nothing 'silent' about them.

Bradesmaen

Hall of Famer
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets

sorted

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham
Was it that Sweden have a covid pass despite him saying it doesn't?

Half arsed as usual Brades. Sweden has opted to participate in the EU Digital COVID Certificate that will make travel within Europe easier during the coronavirus pandemic.

With the EU Digital COVID Certificate, you will be able to show that you have:​
been vaccinated against Covid-19​
been tested with a negative result, or​
recovered from Covid-19.​

Sweden has never used Covid passes domestically for entry to events or restaurants. It would be unthinkable there to exclude people from employment.

Compare this to Victoria which is barring people from earning a living, entry to events and restaurants. Victoria also has no recognition of recovery from Covid-19 or a recent negative test.

Bradesmaen

Hall of Famer
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Half arsed as usual Brades. Sweden has opted to participate in the EU Digital COVID Certificate that will make travel within Europe easier during the coronavirus pandemic.
With the EU Digital COVID Certificate, you will be able to show that you have:​
been vaccinated against Covid-19​
been tested with a negative result, or​
recovered from Covid-19.​

Sweden has never used Covid passes domestically for entry to events or restaurants. It would be unthinkable there to exclude people from employment.

Compare this to Victoria which is barring people from earning a living, entry to events and restaurants. Victoria also has no recognition of recovery from Covid-19 or a recent negative test.
Still using a covid pass aren't they?

sorted

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham
No you can stay in your home. We just dont want you to come outside if you are too selfish to not get the jab to protect society.
You need to be aware of relative risk reduction (RRR) vs absolute risk reduction (ARR).

Relative risk ie, the ratio of infection rates with and without a vaccine gives risk reductions of 95% for the Pfizer–BioNTech, 94% for the Moderna–NIH, 67% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford vaccines. However, RRR should be seen against the background risk of being infected and becoming ill with COVID-19, which varies between populations and over time.

The absolute risk reduction (ARR) is the difference between attack rates with and without a vaccine, but also considers the whole population and the likelihood you might be infected. ARRs tend to be ignored because they give a much less impressive effect size than RRRs: 1·3% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford, 1·2% for the Moderna–NIH, and 0·84% for the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccines.

Policies for mandatory vaccines need to factor for these very low absolute risk reduction numbers.

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
It really should be up to the individual,

Why should some government bureaucrat decide what's best for everyone's individual circumstances ?
Because it’s a highly transmissible virus that’s killed millions worldwide and is a danger to public health. So they’re not physically forcing you to take it but understand you will need to take extra precautions/abide by public health restrictions so you will not be a danger to others

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad