Covid-19 Welcome to Freedom

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Most hospitals are smoke free, which raises some issues when patients aren’t there by choice (mental health assessment orders) and they want to engage in activity which is still legal and used as a stress coping mechanism.
dont have a smokers room?

smoking is legal today but it wont be for much longer except for people currently already addicted.

So, just to re-track, vaccine mandates do not make sense from an infection prevention point of view. Have you accepted that the data from Sweden and the UK shows that the vaccinated are getting infected at a higher rate than the non-vaccinated? It makes a nonsense of mandatory vaccines on the basis that the vaccinated are at risk from the non-vaccinated.
I care for hospitalisation rates, now that we have better vaccination coverage infection rates are not a big concern. Of course the view is different in covid zero states/ China (also pursuing covid zero)
Of course nuance is not your strong suit. Data cherry-picking you are expert in

dont have a smokers room?

smoking is legal today but it wont be for much longer except for people currently already addicted.
No. We provide nicotine replacement but no smoking room. Psych inpatients would smoke in courtyard (on ward) although am hearing they are trying to end this. At any rate nothing in ED setting, and if they abscond while outside psych and sometimes police complain because then they have to re locate and bring back involuntary patients, yet they wait close to 24 hours routinely for a bed
(Off topic though)

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
So, just to re-track, vaccine mandates do not make sense from an infection prevention point of view. Have you accepted that the data from Sweden and the UK shows that the vaccinated are getting infected at a higher rate than the non-vaccinated? It makes a nonsense of mandatory vaccines on the basis that the vaccinated are at risk from the non-vaccinated.

Sorted, isn't that because most of the eligible populations of those countries are now vaxxed? For example, a population of 80% vaxxed and 20% unvaxed would mean a higher percentage of the 20% unvaxxed are at critical risk, but because the 80% of population is a far higher number then of course the infection rates are going to skew that way.

Ultimate example - in a 100% vaxxed poplation 100% of breakthrough infections will be from vaxxed people!

Can you see this?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorted, isn't that because most of the eligible populations of those countries are now vaxxed? For example, a population of 80% vaxxed and 20% unvaxed would mean a higher percentage of the 20% unvaxxed are at critical risk, but because the 80% of population is a far higher number then of course the infection rates are going to skew that way.

Ultimate example - in a 100% vaxxed poplation 100% of breakthrough infections will be from vaxxed people!

Can you see this?
how do you tell who will be an anti vaxer?

the kids who were s**t at maths in class.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The opposite would be true for the 12-16yo boys being encouraged to get the Pfizer.
well err not true for starters.

but even if it was (its not) do you account for the fact that people may not want to be carriers of a disease they then pass on to older relatives/friends or siblings who may have compromised immune systems? Those factors also weigh on the mathematical decision to vaccinate or not.

Last edited:
So with the virus now ripping across europe again as they approach winter can we finally agree that climate is a major factor in virus spread and this virus is more dangerous during winters most of the time
I noticed that over a year ago, but well done for finally catching on :thumbsu:

So with the virus now ripping across europe again as they approach winter can we finally agree that climate is a major factor in virus spread and this virus is more dangerous during winters most of the time
Yeah sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This article is about influenza but applies to other viral respiratory illnesses.

1) During the winter, people spend more time indoors with the windows sealed, so they are more likely to breathe the same air as someone who has the flu and thus contract the virus.​
2) Days are shorter during the winter, and lack of sunlight leads to low levels of vitamin D and melatonin, both of which require sunlight for their generation. This compromises our immune systems, which in turn decreases ability to fight the virus.​
3) The influenza virus may survive better in colder, drier climates, and therefore be able to infect more people.​

Probably hanging on longer in Victoria than it did in NSW for the same reason.

I noticed it april 2020. Well before you it seems.
It would've been around then for me actually. I remember telling a (former) friend in May 2020 that the Covid situation would improve in the summer (she disagreed). So everyone should've noticed the seasonal trends by now.

It would've been around then for me actually. I remember telling a (former) friend in May 2020 that the Covid situation would improve in the summer (she disagreed). So everyone should've noticed the seasonal trends by now.
most places have but there have been a couple where summer didn't show improvement (UK, Israel); wonder if there is a confounder of how long since mass primary course of vaccination

It doesn't matter. There seems to be general agreement on it now.

But as the article I quoted states, vitamin D deficiency is a major factor in compromising people's immune systems. It's particularly a problem for darker skinned people in winter. Supplements to address this are very cheap and very safe. But strangely there's never been any emphasis on it by health providers, the media or government.

If you have a doctor check up including blood tests, its one of the things they often screen for.
I wasn't surprised i had it, i hibernated in winter and you produce less D as you get older.
I was surprised my son had it, video game lifestyle i guess.

It doesn't take a lot of sunshine to top your Vit D level up. But supplements are very cheap and effective.

Maybe we should have a Vitamin D mandate?

If you already have enough its unnecessary but harmless.
Put it in the water supply with the flouride :D

With all the kids playing video games now, and apartment life being all the rage, its probably a good idea.
I guess some people are giving their kids a "vita gummy " each day.

It doesn't take a lot of sunshine to top your Vit D level up. But supplements are very cheap and effective.

Maybe we should have a Vitamin D mandate?
There pretty much is in aged care. And the definition of vit D deficiency was revised upward from 25 to 50 (I forget the units).
Sunshine works but there’s tension between endocrine people and the plastics/ dermatology people (skin cancer risks)

If you already have enough its unnecessary but harmless.
Put it in the water supply with the flouride :D

With all the kids playing video games now, and apartment life being all the rage, its probably a good idea.
I guess some people are giving their kids a "vita gummy " each day.
Not entirely harmless

Part of the winter thing as well is in Europe ‘20 summer everyone went apeshit partying wise and no one was vaccinated …so of course from leading into winter infections were already skyrocketing. Probably same thing this year …summer and more people mixing ..some countries vax rates not high enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back