Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
On holidays and bored and bought a deal to go next week. Stupidly I did that without reading up on manila first and now I'm going to be jumping at shadows. Is it really that unsafe. I assumed it would be similar to Bangkok. Any tips hints etc for those that have been. Not going for the sex trade. Probably going to book a tour for my first full day, good way to meet people. Unfortunately traveling solo this time, wish my friends could come, or I knew someone there.

Im currently living here for 6 months working on a project near the airport. I am staying in Makati City which feels really safe. Lots of shopping, resturants and a few bars in this area. I have been working so much that I haven't gone exploring outside but I know there are some nice beaches down south a bit and there is a volcano about 2 hours drive which is a decade volcano called Taal volcano which has a lake in it.

Been to Manila a number of times for work and footy tournaments. I've not encountered anything unsafe, as with all developing countries, if you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. It's certainly not like Bangkok, far less developed, but that's not to say it isn't a good place to visit.

If you're there for a little while, there are a heap of really nice beaches and islands, particularly around Cebu or Boracay (Cebu City itself is a shithole though), both popular diving locations.

Completely different to Bangkok. Way more poverty in Manila and it's a jungle of tin shacks. I found the vibe pretty nasty to be honest - everyone will stare at you.

I never felt safe in Manila but most people tell me it's OK if you're careful. Taxi driver's are absolute campaigners and will never take you directly to where you want to go. I've had a couple drive me around in circles for hours and try to put me on the phone to prostitutes. I met some French backpackers at a bar and they told me they were drugged and robbed in a taxi. So if possible use your hotel pick up/drop off service.

If you're out walking don't carry your wallet or too much cash as there are pickpockets and thieves. And you will stand out big time (assuming you are tall and white?)

That said, It's a pretty cool city. Go to a bar in Malate called the Hobbit House it's staff are all short people and it's absolutely bizarre. There are a number of midget boxing bars around that will encourage foreigners to referee.

Luckily I have some friends there so I got a good tour. One of my friends took me to a house party in Tondo - it's the worst ghetto in the whole of Manila. I would have got shot or robbed if I went there alone but if you know somebody their hospitality is second-to-none. Had a great time drinking red horse all night and they even handed me my money (10,000 Peso) when it fell out of my pocket.

Cebu is a much nicer city. It does have it's run-down areas like the previous poster said but there are some great spots too. IT Park, Ayala Mall, Movenpick Resort etc. are world class.

Honestly though, if you go to the Philippines you should search out Palawan (diving, scenery) or Boracay.

Completely different to Bangkok. Way more poverty in Manila and it's a jungle of tin shacks. I found the vibe pretty nasty to be honest - everyone will stare at you.

I never felt safe in Manila but most people tell me it's OK if you're careful. Taxi driver's are absolute campaigners and will never take you directly to where you want to go. I've had a couple drive me around in circles for hours and try to put me on the phone to prostitutes. I met some French backpackers at a bar and they told me they were drugged and robbed in a taxi. So if possible use your hotel pick up/drop off service.

Yes, forgot about that. I stayed on from a work trip, and was changing hotels. Asked the concierge to get me a taxi, and they forced the driver to put on the meter. He pulled out, then down the road a little way he told me that the 'meter was broken' and tried to get me to agree to some outrageous amount (luckily I had been to Manila before, and understood relative prices etc.) I told him to keep the meter running, which he did, but kept saying it was broken. Anyway, just before arriving at the new hotel, he pulled over again and said that I had to pay more than what was shown on the meter. I said, we'll sort it out at the hotel, where I got the concierge involved again, and ended up only paying the meter fare. Funnily enough, had the bloke not tried to scam me, I would have tipped him not much less than what he was trying to scam me for, but he was a campaigner, so he got squat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back