MRP / Trib. Mansell Suspended 3 Weeks - Suspension Upheld

Remove this Banner Ad

can't wait for the commentary on 7 to mention how fvcking greeaaaat the game is rn

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

I need to vent some anger. The AFL can go and get ****ed, the length of penalty is absolute bullshite. Wasn’t contesting the ball my ass, he was until the last second where he decided to brace himself. I feel like they’ve twisted his words in the report to justify their actions. Yes I obviously wasn’t there but he hardly would have said yeh I just went to take him out. Ducking bullshite.

And agree in a competitive environment it might just ruin his career. I been on the fence re Manselll but he sure puts in and he’s won my respect.

Little wonder Aish has a history of concussion and players who can read the play don't. How can players who go head first into contests like Cotchin get to 300 without an issue. Leon Baker is as tough as they come, and the right height to get concussed but doesn't.

Any footballer worth is salt when running onto an open football has to glance up to see what is coming the other way. You can bet Mansell knew Aish was there but backed himself to get to the football first, and very nearly did as nobody took control of the ball, hence he braced for the contact at the last moment. Matthew Knights would have taken the ball and given it off to somebody by the time Mansell got there, Shedda the same.

The game is a joke at the moment in regard to tackling. I am all for looking after the player going for the ball, but you can't treat the concussion issue with such a broad brush. It's a lottery at the moment.
Spot on , zero awareness , same with bloke de goey got

I need to vent some anger. The AFL can go and get ****ed, the length of penalty is absolute bullshite. Wasn’t contesting the ball my ass, he was until the last second where he decided to brace himself. I feel like they’ve twisted his words in the report to justify their actions. Yes I obviously wasn’t there but he hardly would have said yeh I just went to take him out. Ducking bullshite.

And agree in a competitive environment it might just ruin his career. I been on the fence re Manselll but he sure puts in and he’s won my respect.
Spot on

Its pretty clear there has been a crackdown on head knocks since last year, yes.

It doesn't make it ok for the AFL to find guilt where they previously found innocence, without telling the players exactly what has changed in terms of actions that are and not allowable. That is a bullshit way to introduce change.

To be honest, apart from slightly stiffer penalties for some dangerous tackles, I have not noticed any difference at all in the way they are adjudicating bumps this year to last year...until Mansell's case. Have you?

It doesn't make it ok for the AFL to find guilt where they previously found innocence, without telling the players exactly what has changed in terms of actions that are and not allowable. That is a bullshit way to introduce change.

To be honest, apart from slightly stiffer penalties for some dangerous tackles, I have not noticed any difference at all in the way they are adjudicating bumps this year to last year...until Mansell's case. Have you?
You haven't noticed we've had 20 something dangerous tackle citings this season already? :think:

AFL 360 host Gerard Whateley said he’s “never seen a crackdown like this”, describing it as “hardcore”.

You haven't noticed we've had 20 something dangerous tackle citings this season already? :think:

AFL 360 host Gerard Whateley said he’s “never seen a crackdown like this”, describing it as “hardcore”.

Once lawyers weasel their way into running sporting comps they * it every time. The AFL is no exception.

Stewart didn't do it in 1973. He did it about 20 games ago.

Stewart takes 4 steps after Prestia had tapped the ball away from the area and elects to bump Prestia, and with a horrendous shoulder first action. Impacts nothing but head. 4 weeks.

24 weeks of football later...

Mansell is following the line of the ball, and goes with a hip first brace into an unavoidable collision. Impacts mainly body with incidental head contact. 3 weeks.

It. Doesn't. Add. Up.

What Stewart did was demonstrably orders of magnitude worse than what Mansell did.

Late v in contest.

Nowhere near ball v totally in line with ball.

Opponent no reason to expect contact v opponent every reason to expect contact.

Horrendously dangerous shoulder first bumping action v safer hip first bumping action.

Nothing but head contacted v mainly body with incidental head contact.

Action outside the laws of the game v inside the laws of the game.

Victim known to be going to miss almost 2 whole games min v unkown but 1 game min.

Geelong player v Richmond player.

4 weeks suspension v 3 weeks suspension.

There is no way anyone can say those are in line. And less way anyone can rightly argue the passing of 20 weeks of football justifies that lack of parity. The laws of the sport have not changed.
Thanks for saving me the time.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even compared to K. Pickett and Degoey which happened this year he is stiff.. Thoes two chose to bump off the ball and get the same/less suspension?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pickett didn't concuss Smith. Don't recall the De Goey one
Pickett's was an off the ball bump and still had potential to cause injury... Martin has been rubbed out for that... And he didn't even do any damage.

De goey cleaned up the young Eagles player 2 weeks ago with an Off the ball bump to the head and concussed the guy, on that one alone mansell should have got a week tops and De goey got 3 weeks.

As long as the oven is turned on though...

More needs to be said of this. Totally unprofessional. If this happened at a suburban footy tribunal it would be an embarrassment, let alone for a supposed professional sporting organisation.

I mentioned the dangerous tackles.

But can you find me one single bump in a contest like Mansell's that has been suspended, ever?

Stewart didn't do it in 1973. He did it about 20 games ago.

Stewart takes 4 steps after Prestia had tapped the ball away from the area and elects to bump Prestia, and with a horrendous shoulder first action. Impacts nothing but head. 4 weeks.

24 weeks of football later...

Mansell is following the line of the ball, and goes with a hip first brace into an unavoidable collision. Impacts mainly body with incidental head contact. 3 weeks.

It. Doesn't. Add. Up.

What Stewart did was demonstrably orders of magnitude worse than what Mansell did.

Late v in contest.

Nowhere near ball v totally in line with ball.

Opponent no reason to expect contact v opponent every reason to expect contact.

Horrendously dangerous shoulder first bumping action v safer hip first bumping action.

Nothing but head contacted v mainly body with incidental head contact.

Action outside the laws of the game v inside the laws of the game.

Victim known to be going to miss almost 2 whole games min v unkown but 1 game min.

Geelong player v Richmond player.

4 weeks suspension v 3 weeks suspension.

There is no way anyone can say those are in line. And less way anyone can rightly argue the passing of 20 weeks of football justifies that lack of parity. The laws of the sport have not changed.
To me the Big distinction is that T.S. actions were a deliberate and malicious act to take a player out of the game...
Not an accidental outcome from playing footy!
Fecker ought to have got 8 weeks...
And as for Dangerflop!!!
Same!!!

There haven't been any like his this year. Can you find me a single bump Iike Picketts that got 2 weeks ever?

As I keep saying things are changing. Get the tinfoil hat off.

I am not alleging conspiracy so no idea why you made the tinfoil helmet remark.

Bumps after players have disposed of the ball have been getting penalised for ages, not always depending just on outcome.

Marlion Pickett for example got 1 week last year for a shepherd bump(so in play) for potential to cause that was nowhere near as bad as K Pickett's, which did not form part of the contest as Smith had disposed of the ball.

These late ones I have no problem with. If Mansell's was not in the contest, then it is worth 3 weeks, like Degoey's.

The problem with the Mansell one is that it does not follow logically from the rules of the game, nor from common sense. Players are allowed to charge at a loose ball as both Aish and Mansell did. If Aish had possession of the ball earlier and say had handballed it or was in the act of handballing it and Mansell cleaned him out, I have no issue with a suspension, because that scenario would involve Mansell having other viable options. As it unfolded though, Mansell simply did not have time between realising he couldn't get to the ball first and the inevitable impact to do anything sensible other than brace himself. I mean what are you saying he should have done in the alternative?

I am not alleging conspiracy so no idea why you made the tinfoil helmet remark.

Bumps after players have disposed of the ball have been getting penalised for ages, not always depending just on outcome.

Marlion Pickett for example got 1 week last year for a shepherd bump(so in play) for potential to cause that was nowhere near as bad as K Pickett's, which did not form part of the contest as Smith had disposed of the ball.

These late ones I have no problem with. If Mansell's was not in the contest, then it is worth 3 weeks, like Degoey's.

The problem with the Mansell one is that it does not follow logically from the rules of the game, nor from common sense. Players are allowed to charge at a loose ball as both Aish and Mansell did. If Aish had possession of the ball earlier and say had handballed it or was in the act of handballing it and Mansell cleaned him out, I have no issue with a suspension, because that scenario would involve Mansell having other viable options. As it unfolded though, Mansell simply did not have time between realising he couldn't get to the ball first and the inevitable impact to do anything sensible other than brace himself. I mean what are you saying he should have done in the alternative?
The tribunal said he should've tackled. Pretty hard to do that when Aish hadn't yet taken possession of the ball.

Did you see the Sam Wicks incident las night? Jumped, extended forearm, and hit a Brisbane player in the head after he disposed the ball. Has to be at least 3 weeks if not 4 based on precedent. Let's see.

These pricks at the AFL are shitting their dacks that they get their asses sued for brain trauma. That bump was a 1 week penalty at most and geez it wasn't that long ago it would have been play on.

I have zero respect for those running the game. Truth be told the game's been s**t for about 15 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back