Society/Culture Manus Island - what is your take?

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Surprised and disappointed that there isn't already a thread on this, now that it is in the news again.

What is your take on Manus Island?

On the one hand I feel that we do need a solution to stop the people smuggling market, and Manus at least has stopped numerous drownings at sea. We should remember the drownings when considering the current plight of these illegal immigrants. Over 1200 died during Labor's dismantling of off-shore processing.

However I'm also not happy with the conditions and also the seemingly open-ended nature of the incarcerations. The government could easily invest more money into the facility so the accommodation is better, and perhaps to speed up the process as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...lock-train-lines-at-melbourne-cup_a_23268809/

Refugee advocates have hijacked Melbourne Cup day, scaling a crane at Flemington and driving a car onto train tracks leading to the race course in high-profile protests over the treatment of asylum seekers on Manus Island.

Two women, said to be "a qualified rope access technician and a qualified arborist", climbed a large crane at the race course and unfurled large banners reading 'EVACUATE MANUS NOW'.

In pictures shared with HuffPost Australia by the Whistleblowers, Activists and Citizens Alliance, the protesters are shown on the crane over the main concourse at Flemington.

rhinowce

Premiership Player
Jun 21, 2008
wagga wagga
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South freo
The Australian government(tax payer) has built a new centre near the navy base, they just refuse to leave, makes a mockery of the 70 Mil pay out they received
*edit moving out of the navy base into general public housing.

Even the locals don't want them

But Knight added that Manusians were “adamant” they didn’t want the refugees living in their community, citing criminal allegations ranging from minor offences to sexual assault, and sexual relationships with local women resulting in pregnancies

Last edited:
Mock_Up_shutdownmanus-320x213.jpg

when we said shut it down, we didn't actually mean do it

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...o-keep-manus-centre-open-20171107-gzgbe3.html

I agree with Adam Bandt, Dutton is f***ing with people's lives to achieve a political end, the pretence of protection has long since disappeared. The crowd that he's pandering too isn’t going to win him the election either making the really tragic thing about this is that it will all be for nowt.

I've lived and worked in places with worse / less facilities.

Sooks.

reminds me of the Yugoslav refugees complaining about the accommodation at a army and navy bases in Freo

King Brown

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I've lived and worked in places with worse / less facilities.

Sooks.
I don't know what Manus is like, but I was on Christmas Island when they were putting the boat arrivals there. A lot of resentment towards them from the islanders due to the fact they whinged all the time about their conditions while getting fresh meat, fruit and veggies air freighted in while locals had to wait weeks for shipments that were often partially rotten.

It goes undiscussed, but a lot of the boat arrivals expect to come to Australia and receive everything on a whim. There's a massive sense of entitlement. There's a reason why many come by boat instead of proper channels available to them

I agree with Adam Bandt, Dutton is f***ing with people's lives to achieve a political end, the pretence of protection has long since disappeared. The crowd that he's pandering too isn’t going to win him the election either making the really tragic thing about this is that it will all be for nowt.

having one of the largest permanent resettlement programs in the world is a negative thing?

I don't know what Manus is like, but I was on Christmas Island when they were putting the boat arrivals there. A lot of resentment towards them from the islanders due to the fact they whinged all the time about their conditions while getting fresh meat, fruit and veggies air freighted in while locals had to wait weeks for shipments that were often partially rotten.

It goes undiscussed, but a lot of the boat arrivals expect to come to Australia and receive everything on a whim. There's a massive sense of entitlement. There's a reason why many come by boat instead of proper channels available to them

Blame the salesman.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

What are you basing this claim on? Where is your evidence to support this? I'd like to read about it. If you don't have any, then why are you saying this?

I hate to think of the cost just of processing those 3000 odd people.

To me the pub test is ....
where are they coming from? Why do they find themselves floating in a boat off the coast of Australia?
Yes it made sense when it was Vietnam.

Why aren't they at Malaysia or Singapore ?
Ohhhhh. But its Australia who are bad.

Its obvious that if you flee Afghanistan, you don't Automatically find yourself floating on a boat near Australia, so its quite clear that Australia is a target.
Why?
Because contrary to all the publicity, that we are bastards, we are a soft touch, and its like winning the lottery if they get in.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parlia...s/rp/rp1617/RefugeeResettlement#_Toc461022106
The numbers stack up quite well here.

First it's all Labor's fault, now it's the lawyers. The blokes that have been in government and overseeing this monstrosity for the last four years get a leave pass though.

actually if you go back to the outburst of what's happening at Manus Island. the only thing is the facility is being closed.

Closing the facility is not a big deal but it was brought on by the lawyers of the asylum seekers. If the asylum seekers didn't want the facilities closed, they should be demanding answers from their lawyers.

actually if you go back to the outburst of what's happening at Manus Island. the only thing is the facility is being closed.

Closing the facility is not a big deal but it was brought on by the lawyers of the asylum seekers. If the asylum seekers didn't want the facilities closed, they should be demanding answers from their lawyers.

NOW those Lawyers LOVE refugees.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
First it's all Labor's fault, now it's the lawyers. The blokes that have been in government and overseeing this monstrosity for the last four years get a leave pass though.

People stopped drowning and no kids are in detention.

2 things Labor and the Greens failed utterly.

They can leave any time they want. How that is a detention centre is beyond me.

Back