Society/Culture Manus Island - what is your take?

When it comes to the total number of refugees recognised and resettled by a country, Australia ranks 25th (and 32nd on a per capita basis).

recognised is very different to resettle

but feel free to deceive yourself

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
recognised is very different to resettle

but feel free to deceive yourself

An observation, atleast here in Europe, its always these low socio economic battlers who are worried about immigration.I rarely ever see a middle class German attending an AfD rally. They will take our jobs, they will rape our women blah blah blah...it's always them whinging about everything.

there is no hope for you. There are special circles of hell awaiting you.

I will go to hell for pointing out you are deceiving yourself? Or that we should be proud of having a sustainable immigration policy that delivers permanent resettlement for so many......currently ranked 3rd in the world?

Do you always get emotional and blame other when you realise the facts don’t marry your position?

An observation, atleast here in Europe, its always these low socio economic battlers who are worried about immigration.I rarely ever see a middle class German attending an AfD rally. They will take our jobs, they will rape our women blah blah blah...it's always them whinging about everything.

Sounds just like what happened here in Oz with the rise of Hanson in the 90s.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I will go to hell for pointing out you are deceiving yourself? Or that we should be proud of having a sustainable immigration policy that delivers permanent resettlement for so many......currently ranked 3rd in the world?

Do you always get emotional and blame other when you realise the facts don’t marry your position?

32 nd by per capita

Please don’t make yourself appear more stupid - I will only reply with more evidence which proves our humble intake.

PR posting bingo. Emotional, tick. Next he'll describe the PNG police beating up refugees as common sense.

I didn't like the use of batons by the PNG police. There is little doubt the refugees didn't want to leave and force was required to remove them from trespass. It is a ridiculous situation caused by law but the courts ruled the centres must be closed and as a result OH&S liability and trespass became real. For me reasonable force would simply have been PNG police using muscle and then capsicum spray as a last resort.

32 nd by per capita

Please don’t make yourself appear more stupid - I will only reply with more evidence which proves our humble intake.

US, Canada and Australia permanently resettle 90+% of refugees permanently resettled. What an amazing achievement providing certainty and sustainability!

Meanwhile, do yourself a favour and watch the film the act of killing, if you want to know a cost of the people smuggling trade and the instability it would have caused in Indonesia if not stopped.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
US, Canada and Australia permanently resettle 90+% of refugees permanently resettled. What an amazing achievement providing certainty and sustainability!

Meanwhile, do yourself a favour and watch the film the act of killing, if you want to know a cost of the people smuggling trade and the instability it would have caused in Indonesia if not stopped.
number of refugees, asylum-seekers and internally displaced people around the world has topped 65 million, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees said Monday. As of December 2015, there were 65.3 million displaced people, according to a report from the refugeeagency.Jun 20, 2016

Australia took 9000 was it?
But came 3rd?

Is that 3rd in Oceania?

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal

Agreed great job done, i wish Europe could say the same. It really sucks seeing children alone, travelling from Afghanistan and Iraq by foot. I have met a few of them here, they can't speak English but i did help them with warm clothes and food. (Yes i know what the conservatives think now). Seriously, seeing them smile for me is worth earning thousands of dollars. This is priceless though. Cannot imagine the pain they have endured to come this far. But for some people, they are brown and Muslim, so no no cookies for them.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

You seen the pictures of destruction from Afghanistan Iraq Libya Syria Yemen?

I don’t know why those people don’t just go to Monaco - do you?

number of refugees, asylum-seekers and internally displaced people around the world has topped 65 million, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees said Monday. As of December 2015, there were 65.3 million displaced people, according to a report from the refugeeagency.Jun 20, 2016

But came 3rd?

Is that 3rd in Oceania?

I think you've hit the nail on the head........65m! wow! There is no way any one country or the world can sustainably resettle 65m people.

Just by way of background, my grand parents were refugees and came here, by boat, without a shirt on their back. They arrived on the docks in Oz and placed into concentration work camps in country Victoria until they were deemed "disease free", had some english, their skills recognised and had a job offer.

One Slovak/ Hungarian grandfather (a mechanic) accepted a job at Holdens Woodville and at the end of his first day was given a wooded car crate by the company to live in. The other was an accountant for the Czech and British RAF and accepted the first job he could get, in a dye factory, just so he could start his life.

What made this great part of history possible is the expectations in life were low and Australia had a massive shortage of labour. The other message, is I'm grateful to call Australia home rather than a potato farm in the Slovak republic.

What was possible 70 years ago is not possible today. If we were to bring in 100,000 refugees, it wouldn't dent the 65m and worse...............it would cause social turmoil. Refugees or any immigrant to Australia, on average is a much harder worker than an Australian. Why? because they have get up and go and appreciate their new life and just like every major immigration wave of the past, they displace Australian workers. As an employer, I benefit from immigration, as I want hard working, self motivated people and put downward pressure on wages. I also love foreign cultures, sense of humour, their food and different outlook on life............so it's nothing but a big yes from me.

What I also care about from a social perspective though, is EVERYONE having an opportunity to work and participate. I don't want to live in a nation full of union thugs, redneck one nation fanbois and racist loonies. Have a guess what happens when white Australians are displaced from work? Google what happen to the chinese and what drove the white Australia policy, google what happened to the italians in Kalgoorlie and have a think about the birth of One Nation.

It is for that reason, despite personally benefiting from immigration two generations ago and as an employer today, I prefer to support a sustainable immigration policy. By doing a little bit each year, providing stability, certainty and every resource possible (housing, health, accommodation and employment) to ensure our new immigrants success in resettlement is the only way. This essentially means we look at the pull side (10,000 or 25,000 we resettle) not the push side (65m). One is sustainable and the other impossible.

Try and think about the issue from a management of policy perspective rather than the emotive. I don't think a single reasonable person doesn't feel for the 65m but that is a very different perspective from those tasked with managing the issue.

You seen the pictures of destruction from Afghanistan Iraq Libya Syria Yemen?

I don’t know why those people don’t just go to Monaco - do you?

FTR this "bullshit" will continue whilst we continue to tolerate bad governments. Historically nations went to war over resources and continue to do so today.

Personally I would like to see a world charter on health care, population control, social security, property rights, proper taxation systems, transparency and corruption etc etc. For those not meeting or moving toward charter, we should as a world seek government change which may include war (but preferably stipping those in power of all their wealth).

Too many nations rape their citizens, keep them in slavery, steal their opportunity and then park their wealth in Switzerland, US, UK, Oz etc etc. This is fundamentally what causes instability, terrorism and conflict. The 65m is just the symptom and addressing this alone won't solve the actual problem.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FTR this "bullshit" will continue whilst we continue to tolerate bad governments. Historically nations went to war over resources and continue to do so today.

Personally I would like to see a world charter on health care, population control, social security, property rights, proper taxation systems, transparency and corruption etc etc. For those not meeting or moving toward charter, we should as a world seek government change which may include war (but preferably stipping those in power of all their wealth).

Too many nations rape their citizens, keep them in slavery, steal their opportunity and then park their wealth in Switzerland, US, UK, Oz etc etc. This is fundamentally what causes instability, terrorism and conflict. The 65m is just the symptom and addressing this alone won't solve the actual problem.
Given the number of refugees attempting to come to this country come from countries where we have participated in destroying their homes - you don’t think we have any culpability?

We are the trusty sidekick of a cabal which ruthlessly destroys countries for economic gain by corrupt military, energy companies and corrupt politicians.

Those 65 million refugees and those on our shores are the inevitable by product of those policies.

If this were not true then your position would be just. As it is true, your position is untenable.

Given the number of refugees attempting to come to this country come from countries where we have participated in destroying their homes - you don’t think we have any culpability?

We are the trusty sidekick of a cabal which ruthlessly destroys countries for economic gain by corrupt military, energy companies and corrupt politicians.

Those 65 million refugees and those on our shores are the inevitable by product of those policies.

If this were not true then your position would be just. As it is true, your position is untenable.

Now you're being silly and waging stupid political arguments. All you do is create more arguments, you don't help anyone with this bullshit.
Look at the numbers above.
Yes we could take more, but there are too many flogs like the ones at Manus, clogging up the system.
Get rid of them and bring some of the ones who smile when we give them a blanket and food.

BUT before we get too many more people, ....
maybe we need more health, education, energy, food etc etc.
Otherwise they will come here and live in poverty as the rules of supply and demand take over.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Now you're being silly and waging stupid political arguments. All you do is create more arguments, you don't help anyone with this bullshit.
Look at the numbers above.
Yes we could take more, but there are too many flogs like the ones at Manus, clogging up the system.
Get rid of them and bring some of the ones who smile when we give them a blanket and food.

BUT before we get too many more people, ....
maybe we need more health, education, energy, food etc etc.
Otherwise they will come here and live in poverty as the rules of supply and demand take over.
Our Participation in the willful destruction of other countries is a little more than silly.
You dismiss this like one would dismiss an annoying fly.

IKE TURNER

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Sydney

But came 3rd?

Is that 3rd in Oceania?
maybe Australia should take 65 million people in.....

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just ignore these ****in' prawns, you won't convince them of anything.
It appears you are right. But this kind of blind nationalism encourages the worst kind of politics and politicians. On one hand we lie to justify these wars - radicalise populations, deliberately cause balkanisation and complete dysfunction. Then when the inevitable refugee arrives at our shores - we act all innocent and start talking about orderly immigration. And pretending we are actually generous and benevolent!

This blind jingoism cannot go unchallenged. It is an untenable proposition.

Now, it the likes of Saintsseptember and PR would advocate for us to repudiate our foreign policy and offer some sensible reparation for the damage we have caused then - I may or may not agree with this harsh refugee policy - but at least it would be defensible. As it is - its bloodyminded and contemptuous.

IKE TURNER

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Sydney
Agreed great job done, i wish Europe could say the same. It really sucks seeing children alone, travelling from Afghanistan and Iraq by foot. I have met a few of them here, they can't speak English but i did help them with warm clothes and food. (Yes i know what the conservatives think now). Seriously, seeing them smile for me is worth earning thousands of dollars. This is priceless though. Cannot imagine the pain they have endured to come this far. But for some people, they are brown and Muslim, so no no cookies for them.
you must have great eyesight to see these children travelling on their own-all we see are thousands and thousands of middle aged males,nice one to throw in the racist line right at the end what you don't understand is Australians don't care what religion or color they are as long as they fit in don't cause trouble and deserve a chance

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It appears you are right. But this kind of blind nationalism encourages the worst kind of politics and politicians. On one hand we lie to justify these wars - radicalise populations, deliberately cause balkanisation and complete dysfunction. Then when the inevitable refugee arrives at our shores - we act all innocent and start talking about orderly immigration. And pretending we are actually generous and benevolent!

This blind jingoism cannot go unchallenged. It is an untenable proposition.

Now, it the likes of Saintsseptember and PR would advocate for us to repudiate our foreign policy and offer some sensible reparation for the damage we have caused then - I may or may not agree with this harsh refugee policy - but at least it would be defensible. As it is - its bloodyminded and contemptuous.

I agree, we get what we deserve for being in Team America and killing millions of innocent people, but that isn't popular opinion and I don't see how it'll ever change, at least not for a long time. The same people arguing that refugees aren't our responsibility will continue to argue that till they're blue in the face.

Last edited:

IKE TURNER

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Sydney
There are a world of options between our 9,000 and the pool of 65 million.
If you don't want refugees don't go destroying buildings and lives in foreign countries. It really is pretty simple.
you have got to be kidding me, while our efforts overseas are not the greatest these backward countries and their backward leaders have caused their own hardships and misery for centuries

Back