Marc Murphy AFLCA Player of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Marc Murphy, who's been voted by the coaches as the 2011 Champion Player of the Year, finishing 4 votes ahead of Chris Judd. :thumbsu:

AFLCA Champion Player of the Year final tally

Marc Murphy (Carlton) - 94
Chris Judd (Carlton) - 90
Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs) - 87
Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn) - 87
Gary Ablett (Gold Coast) - 80
Dane Swan (Collingwood) - 80
Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) - 79
Scott Thompson (Adelaide) - 74
Daniel Wells (North Melbourne) - 73
Trent Cotchin (Richmond) - 71

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124256/default.aspx

I am surprised he beat Judd, but great effort in what is, IMO, the most important award for a player:thumbsu:

Definitely rate it above the MVP. While the concept of players voting for their peers sounds good in theory, it's far too compromised a count to have much credibility. At least equal with the Brownlow for mine.

He joins a prestigious groups of past winners:
2003 - Nathan Buckley (Collingwood)
2004 - Warren Tredrea (Port Adelaide)
2005 - Barry Hall (Sydney)
2006 - Simon Goodwin (Adelaide) & Adam Goodes (Sydney)
2007 - Gary Ablett (Geelong)
2008 - Gary Ablett (Geelong)
2009 - Gary Ablett (Geelong)
2010 - Dane Swan (Collingwood)

Clearly a very consistent year and in all awards got votes in a lot of games. Quality player from a quality draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not buying into this Ratten bias BS. Murphy deserves it.

However, would the award be better if we saw how the coaches actually vote? Rather than combining the two when they list the votes each Monday. Show the 5-4-3-2-1 for both coaches?

"I didn't go so well last night but the AFL Coaches' Association seem to know what they're talking about," - Dane Swan after the brownlow last year.

Congrats to Murphy! Had a stella season.

Such an underrated award.

Well done. Had a very good year. :thumbsu:

I get the feeling that one reason we talk up all these peripheral awards is because the Brownlow is so deeply flawed. Yet all of these systems have their own flaws also. I don't think awards from such subjective viewpoints can be called definitive, but they are still worth having as it's still interesting and relevant to see who the players and the coaches rate.

In any case, well done Marc Murphy on winning this award. The lad's got skills.

Wait wait, a midfielder has won the AFLCA five years in a row? I thought only the Brownlow was a midfielders award.

Deserving win anyhow. Glad he got it over Judd. Not that I am against judd per say, but I thought Murphy had a better and more consistent year.

Good on Murph, I've always thought he was more important to Carlton this year than Judd.

Glad to see the coaches agree with me, thoroughly deserved. I'm probably gonna back him early for next year's Brownlow, I think.

Great year and well deserved. Rate Murphy very highly. His lateral movement in congestion is out of this world good. Only Ablett jnr rivals him in this area. Add that to his ball winning ability (inside and outside), clearance ability, speed, footy smarts, quality footskills and goal kicking ability and you have clse to the complete package as a modern day midfielder. :thumbsu:

Deserving win anyhow. Glad he got it over Judd. Not that I am against judd per say, but I thought Murphy had a better and more consistent year.

Have to agree with this. I thought Murphy's season was better than Judd's season, based on consistency.

Judd played some brilliant football at times, which was as good as anyone this season, but Murphy stepped up at times when Judd was tagged out of games (the benefit of being ranked behind Judd in importance by opposition coaches, although I suspect that will change in the very near future), while also dominating games in which Judd also played well.

I would be very surprised if Murphy doesn't win our B&F next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back