Marc Murphy vs Trent Cotchin, are they currently at the same level?

Would you be happy with either at your club (are they similar in ability)?

• Yes (Carlton supporter)

• Yes (neutral)

• Yes (Richmond supporter)

• No (Richmond supporter)

• No (neutral)

• No (Carlton supporter)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You should try watching some football you may enjoy it.

Cotchin was 12th for contested ball last year, Murphy 32nd:$

LOL. "I suggest you watch football; now here is some random meaningless stat" o_O

Holy duds, the difference between 12th and 32nd could be all of one for all we know. So here, let's have a look.

Cotchin averaged 12.3 contested possessions from 85% TOG

Murphy averaged 11.5 contested possessions from 81% TOG

Pfft! You are aware people call Murphy soft all the time and their contested numbers aren't dissimilar at all.

FWIW I think the soft tag pertains to mentally. And it's something he's going to have to overcome at finals time. Personally, I love Cotch and think he can do it, but he's just gonna have to wear the jibes until then.

LOL. "I suggest you watch football; now here is some random meaningless stat" o_O

Holy duds, the difference between 12th and 32nd could be all of one for all we know. So here, let's have a look.

Cotchin averaged 12.3 contested possessions from 85% TOG

Murphy averaged 11.5 contested possessions from 81% TOG

Pfft! You are aware people call Murphy soft all the time and their contested numbers aren't dissimilar at all.

FWIW I think the soft tag pertains to mentally. And it's something he's going to have to overcome at finals time. Personally, I love Cotch and think he can do it, but he's just gonna have to wear the jibes until then.
Ive never heard anyone knowledgeable in regards football calling Cotchin soft, yes he failed the team in the EF and kicked the wrong way the year before but soft, you must be kidding?

Ive never heard anyone knowledgeable in regards football calling Cotchin soft, yes he failed the team in the EF and kicked the wrong way the year before but soft, you must be kidding?

I was drawn first to your flawed presentation of stats. Only as a by-thought, I took it upon my self to explain why Cotchin may get called names like that. He's far from a hard man of the AFL and having been a flop of a captain/player in finals, it will inevitably draw tags like soft or weak; much how it rolls the other way for Hodge as a player. Of course, it gets overplayed both ways, but all I'm saying is it's now up to Cotch to serve it up to his naysayers. Words aren't enough.

Maybe I might be a bit biased towards *my club* but who cops the most s**t on here?

For obvious reasons Essendon and it isn't even close.

Anyway I don't need to explain myself any further as it's an obvious delight to troll the biggest team in the southern hemisphere.

This doesn't involve Collingwood.

Damn good effort from Murphy considering how terrible Carlton were. Not sure Cotchin would poll that well if roles were reversed.

Murph has a good season, no doubt but Cotch arguably* should have won a Brownlow for a team that finished 12th back in 2012 which to me suggests he can perform when the rest of the team isn't.

By comparison, Murphy's best season to date was probably his 2011 (AA, B&F and AFLCA) and they finished 5th that year.

Cotchin is 19th for clangers last year, Murphy 80th:$
Yes that's a difference of 3.3 to Cotchin and 2.8 to Murphy per game, so half a clanger more to Cotch but he is in and under getting out the hard ball, you'll note many players at the top of the hard ball gets, are high on the clanger list(Nat Fyfe is 6th at 3.75), while much of Murph's possessions are uncontested, so maybe save your little embarrassed emoticon for something worthwhile;)

Yes that's a difference of 3.3 to Cotchin and 2.8 to Murphy per game, so half a clanger more to Cotch but he is in and under getting out the hard ball, you'll note many players at the top of the hard ball gets, are high on the clanger list(Nat Fyfe is 6th at 3.75), while much of Murph's possessions are uncontested, so maybe save your little embarrassed emoticon for something worthwhile;)
And if you take out Frees Against, Cotchin actually averages less disposal clangers than Murphy...

The players have Cotchin last year as #22 in the best 50, Murphy didn't make the list, I think that says a lot, even after Cotchin's poor finals game he still makes it in the leagues best 22 add to that a runner up in the Brownlow in 2012(which may end up as a shared Brownlow with Mitch) and it's easy to see there is no real comparison
Cotchin who turns 26 next month is only just reaching his prime years as well, where Murph is 29 in July and unlikely to improve further.

I think they are around the same level to be honest, just depends what a team needs more to determine who they would pick. If you need an inside extractor with decent evasiveness you'd probably pick Cotchin. But if you want a classy player running more so on the outside then you would pick Murphy. Still prefer watching Murph when he's on though.

The players have Cotchin last year as #22 in the best 50, Murphy didn't make the list, I think that says a lot, even after Cotchin's poor finals game he still makes it in the leagues best 22 add to that a runner up in the Brownlow in 2012(which may end up as a shared Brownlow with Mitch) and it's easy to see there is no real comparison
Cotchin who turns 26 next month is only just reaching his prime years as well, where Murph is 29 in July and unlikely to improve further.

Wait... Murphy is that old??

Wowee I never realised, I still see him as 23-24.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like taking the piss out of Murphy as much as anyone but I'm leaning towards giving him the vote here.

Both have only had one or two truly elite seasons, and Murphy has produced similar output to Cotchin in a team that has really struggled. The soft tag probably has more to do with his lack of presence as a leader than his football.

Hard to believe he's 29 soon though, feels like he was supposed to go to another level.

Neither are in the elite group IMO,
but I'd choose Murphy over Cotchin if I could have one for my team

Murphy hasn't been tagged his entire career like Cotchin and plays more outside. Don't get me wrong he's still gun but the knocks on Cotchin are a bit inflated and exaggerated.

Back