Racing MARCH DAILY PUNT: You get a group 1, you get a group 1. Everyone gets a group 1!

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Cleveland?
Will he stay for Melbourne Cup?

Dead set marathon stayer for mine - the Sydney Cup (or one of the lead ups) would be his main play - doubt he is going to be classy enough to beat the likes of Gold Trip in a Tancred.

Not sure if he is staying here after the Autumn.

Gee MOUNGA $8 in the Oz cup looks one of the easiest SP and SF bets of all time given he started sub $3 in a tougher race last week and was still the second best local home. No Dubai Honour's to flog him here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full of Sincerity a $3.90 fav in the Tulloch looks disgusting unders to my eye. Had been running unplaced in average NZ races at huge odds up until it managed to snare 3rd place at 100-1 in the Derby. Drops back in trip and should regress back to somewhere closer to its SP profile you would think

Soulcombe @ $6

Finally out to a suitable distance.

Under 2400m: Lapped in all 5 races
Over 2400m: 4 wins from 5 races

That was with his previous trainer who hadn't cooked it and the Cox Plate third placegetter - that form is irrelevant. I'm not touching a horse like that where my money is most likely already dead until it shows something (or I get treble the price). The problem is $6 represents the fact its either a $2.50 shot or a 50/1 shot and to me the latter is still more likely until it shows something.

Remember everyone waiting for Surefire to explode up in trip all last spring? And this thing looks lengths worse.

Last edited:
That was with his previous trainer who hadn't cooked it and the Cox Plate third placegetter - that form is irrelevant. I'm not touching a horse like that where my money is most likely already dead until it shows something (or I get treble the price). The problem is $6 represents the fact its either a $2.50 shot or a 50/1 shot and to me the latter is still more likely until it shows something.

Remember everyone waiting for Surefire to explode up in trip all last spring? And this thing looks lengths worse.

Surefire did improve lengths when it got to a suitable trip? 2nd to the MC runner up in the Geelong Cup then won a similarly weak Flemington race at his two goes beyond 2000m. Not that its one for one anyway.

Horse was never going to get near them over the trips he has run at this prep no matter who was training. This is the first race where you can actually get an accurate idea of how he is going and at $6 is an easy bet

Surefire did improve lengths when it got to a suitable trip? 2nd to the MC runner up in the Geelong Cup then won a similarly weak Flemington race at his two goes beyond 2000m. Not that its one for one anyway.

Horse was never going to get near them over the trips he has run at this prep no matter who was training. This is the first race where you can actually get an accurate idea of how he is going and at $6 is an easy bet

Surefire was electric over 1400 first up and then couldn’t get out of his own way up in trip until finally getting a win at Flemington.

It’s throwing money down the drain on a horse that is cooked like basically every import that landed in Australia last spring and has gone to a local trainer.

It is pretty obvious Waller has nfi what to do with these horses (see El bogedon) so for me it’s pointless Even looking at the foreign form).

Using this logic magical lagoon is the bet of the millenium at 30:1

Surefire was electric over 1400 first up and then couldn’t get out of his own way up in trip until finally getting a win at Flemington.

It’s throwing money down the drain on a horse that is cooked like basically every import that landed in Australia last spring and has gone to a local trainer.

It is pretty obvious Waller has nfi what to do with these horses (see El bogedon) so for me it’s pointless Even looking at the foreign form).

Using this logic magical lagoon is the bet of the millenium at 30:1

Surefire had mile and 2000m form before coming here but they are different horses so pointless comparison really.

Soulcombe would have run exactly the same over a mile and 2000m even under his old trainer. He is a 2400m+ stayer and that's it. Until we see him have a go at the trip he actually needs you couldnt say if he is cooked or not. Pretty sure you didnt bin Sir Dragonet when he was getting no where near them over a mile

Surefire had mile and 2000m form before coming here but they are different horses so pointless comparison really.

Soulcombe would have run exactly the same over a mile and 2000m even under his old trainer. He is a 2400m+ stayer and that's it. Until we see him have a go at the trip he actually needs you couldnt say if he is cooked or not. Pretty sure you didnt bin Sir Dragonet when he was getting no where near them over a mile

And I hadn’t binned Soulcombe off his first up run. His second over 2000 showed me he is cooked. Just like boggy boy and Oberon.

Waller is not a European trainer who is going to get it to jump out of the ground over an extra 600m.

Day 1 of Albury Carnival. The King Of Albury (Ron Stubbs) with the fave in both race 3 and 6.

Mail from camp is Tap N Run should piss in. Prophets Daughters goes close, but last 50-100m the query

Day 1 of Albury Carnival. The King Of Albury (Ron Stubbs) with the fave in both race 3 and 6.

Mail from camp is Tap N Run should piss in. Prophets Daughters goes close, but last 50-100m the query

Mitch Beer dislikes this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back