Marco Bello - appointed Head of Development

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of new football department appointments. Great to see.

Who is calling the shots behind the scenes, driving the change, coming up with the names of people to approach?

It felt like Ricciuto had done this in the past but had exhausted his rolodex. Is it Kelly? Is it Nicks? Is it Jackson?

I know Kelly is Head of Football so it's "on" him but is he the one who knows Marco Bello is good at his role for instance, would be a good fit, is better for us than options x, y and z that he also knows intimately?

Lots of new football department appointments. Great to see.

Who is calling the shots behind the scenes, driving the change, coming up with the names of people to approach?

It felt like Ricciuto had done this in the past but had exhausted his rolodex. Is it Kelly? Is it Nicks? Is it Jackson?

I know Kelly is Head of Football so it's "on" him but is he the one who knows Marco Bello is good at his role for instance, would be a good fit, is better for us than options x, y and z that he also knows intimately?
Wouldn't be Roo, none of them are his mates.

Bello was done pretty quickly too, though I do recall him saying in an interview that Kelly contacted him. Where that decision came from though..... Who knows.

He wasn't thuggy like some others but he was a super player.

His former teammates hold him in very high regard.
He had physical tenacity not thuggy at all. I feel dirty saying I loved the way he played.

Taken by Neddy and Will Hamill obviously..

It feels like Nicks is making the calls, as the new coaches are coming from across the AFL systrem and he seems like the only guy with wide enough relationships.

He probably deserves the chance to do that too, after what he put up with last year.

Yeah that seems bizarre, he was gone and we brought him back. He’s doing more than SANFL too, he’s involved in our midfield which he f’ed up last year.
We've had a seperate SANFL coach before when Ryan O'Keefe was doing the job while Younie was managing. At the end of the day Godden has been a successful SANFL coach before and at the level he's in it will be more about implementing the strategy and tactics that Nicks, Bello and the assistants want, rather than doing his own thing.

Our players in the SANFL impress me with their teamtalk and sense of camaraderie. This has been missing for years. I think the coach has been doing a reasonable job. He has moved players during the game and finally got Davis
Into the back half. To see them now compared with season start is quite significant. They now play for each other and the team

Massively this.
The question is why did he leave? If rumours are to be believed it was due to a clash with Reid and Roo. I don't know if that is true or even if the timeline fits.
Whatever the cause, we definitely missed him.
The rumour was he wanted to trade Jenkins instead of giving him a 5 year contract, was overruled and shunned as a result

Massively this.
The question is why did he leave? If rumours are to be believed it was due to a clash with Reid and Roo. I don't know if that is true or even if the timeline fits.
Nope, one of my close friends from years ago a well known Adelaide sports writer/journalist is a close friend of Stewie and has maintained a close relationship with him to this day and he told me the reason for him stepping away was purely health related at the time and have been ongoing I believe.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rumour was he wanted to trade Jenkins instead of giving him a 5 year contract, was overruled and shunned as a result
More than a rumour and i'm not saying health didn't play a significant part. if health is failing and nobody is listening then easy to see why one wouldnt be prepared to continue

Massively this.
I'm not sure he left at that point. Just scaled back his involvement. Just worked with the new draftees, no wider focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back