Delisted Marco Paparone (2012-2018)

Horrible news during a positive two days for the club. Marco is a great guy and my thoughts are with him and his family. No doubt the love and support of the club is behind him and will do all they can to help him through this hard time.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Have the official Lions twitter account made a statement sending their condolences yet? I thinks it's a bit of poor form there isn't anything on the website.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Possibly, though it wouldn't surprise me if he was a private sort of kid who'd rather it not be in the news. I'm confident they'd be privately getting in touch.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't actually know him but know people who do. He's been back in Freo for a while, hanging out, and I'm sure he was by when his dad went. He's apparently a kind, decent, gentle kind of fella, very sad to hear him lose his dad. I genuinely feel pretty bad for the young man.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Have the official Lions twitter account made a statement sending their condolences yet? I thinks it's a bit of poor form there isn't anything on the website.

Not sure that is the best way to handle it. If my employer tweeted condolences at me it would seem... tacky. Rallying around him internally is probably better.

Simbatheking21

All Australian
Sep 11, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Terrible news for him and his family.
I lost my dad a few years ago and it's something i never stop think about.

Condolences to him and his family, hopefully the boys get around him

Actually it is poor that you seem to expect the club to be racing to put something on the website. Would you like a Press Conference as well. You are *en ridiculous.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Actually it is poor that you seem to expect the club to be racing to put something on the website. Would you like a Press Conference as well. You are ****en ridiculous.

Yeah it'd be disgusting for them to tweet 'our condolences go to the Paparone family'. Just as it's disgusting that people have made similar comments on this forum and Papas instagram account.

What if Marco had asked them not to?

If he did and I knew about it, then it would change my opinion but just as they publish articles about former board members passing I thought it would be a nice gesture to publicly announce their support for Marcos family.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If he did and I knew about it, then it would change my opinion but just as they publish articles about former board members passing I thought it would be a nice gesture to publicly announce their support for Marcos family.
I reckon that if they do end up doing something, it will be after a little while, to give Marco some space on the issue. You would suspect that with our bolstered welfare department the club would be right on top of this one.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Poor kid. I'm the same age and I couldn't imagine losing my father. Condolences to the paparone family.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah it'd be disgusting for them to tweet 'our condolences go to the Paparone family'. Just as it's disgusting that people have made similar comments on this forum and Papas instagram account.

I agree with jackess.....its a small gesture, but big in moral support.

When my father passed away last year, my workplace sent both mum (who they don't know from a bar of soap) and I a large bouquet of flowers. It meant a lot to us at the time.

..and IIRC, when JB's grandfather died, the Lions put a notice in the paper.

Back