Delisted Marco Paparone (2012-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Drafted to Brisbane with pick #23 in the 2012 National Draft

221112sptpaparone3_18atdmp-18atdms.jpg

Just going off his highlights: looks an interesting player and seeing a big guy crumb some goals is always good to see. His marking looks fairly solid too. Looking forward to seeing how he'll develop.

Sleeping giant
13 Nov, 2012
Jason Phelan

MARCO PAPARONE
DOB:
03/09/1994
Height: 194cm
Weight: 84kg
Club: East Fremantle/Western Australia

Bio:
Tall forward with elite endurance (15+ beep test result) which allows him to keep presenting up forward or to play midfield which he did in the final game of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Dangerous around goal and creative player who averaged 16 disposals, four marks and 1.5 goals a game for WA this year.

"I think Marco is a sleeping giant - he's capable of a lot more than we've seen so far. I think it's a bit about self-belief with Marco. Endurance-wise he's elite, but he's also quite agile for a guy of 194cm - he could potentially play on a wing at the next level. At the championships he was often able to out-run his opponents, so he really can be damaging toward the end of quarters. I think he can develop into a really dangerous player." - WA talent manager Raff Guadagnino.

Footy a healing balm for Paparone
November 17, 2012
Craig O'Donoghue

Paparone is from a close-knit family. He is the youngest of four children and his brothers, Jack and Cabe, also work with their dad building the house.

Paparone didn't consider himself a draft prospect when he learnt of his father's cancer.But football became a sanctuary where his private worries disappeared.

Paparone ran and ran and ran some more. He'd shown an appetite for running at Palmyra during junior footy, but since breaking level 15 during East Fremantle's colts beep test and earning selection in the State's under-18 team, he hasn't looked back.

Paparone's work rate is his biggest strength. Just like his idol Nick Riewoldt, Paparone leads long and hard. Give the youngster space and he'll run to provide an option.

Centre half-backs must hate playing on the 194cm runner because when they're gasping for air, he's just kicking into gear.

"It's good fun to make the defenders struggle and it gives me more confidence towards the end of games," Paparone said.

Lions add three at draft

Lions National Talent Manager, Rob Kerr, said that the trio would be valuable additions to the Lions list.

“We’ve recruited with a view that we need to develop our next generation forward line - that’s where the overriding philosophy came from,” Kerr said. “Paprone will be a really good connector for us into the back line or the forward line…"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome to the Lions Marco - love the name! Commentators are gonna love it when he takes a screamer inside 50!

#64 Sydney (Via Hawthorn Compensation Pick) - Marco Paparone (WA– KPF/Mid)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 03/09/1994
Recruited from: East Fremantle
Style:
Player comparison: Jarrad Grant
Range: 30-70
Profile: Paparone is a tall utility who mostly plays on a wing or a leading key forward. Paparone’s numbers have been exceptional and he is a very high level endurance athlete and goes all day and has a serious work rate. Has really elevated his game from last year and has been one of the big improvers this year. Paparone won’t ever be your contested marking threat inside 50 but is a strong mark on the lead. Has some smarts for a tall. Work at ground level excellent, is clean below the knees and quick to recover. Has great agility and is very lively for a tall, quick on his feet and quick to get back up. Finishing ability around goal good but I have some concerns about his set shot goal kicking which needs work along with his field kicking which lacks consistency at this stage.

48. North Melbourne - Marco Paparone (193cm forward - East Fremantle)

Paparone was the flavour of the month there for a bit, with some having in the top 10 after the Championships. But the talk has died off and he has since dropped back down the order, to a more realistic spot in my opinion. After being steady as a 17 year old, he stepped up this year at Colts level to really start impacting games. And it saw him become a regular in the WA team during the U18 Championships. And he was one of their more consistent performers across half forward and up on a wing as he consistently got 20+ possessions. At AFL level, I think Paparone will be developed into that modern running CHF role, and full credit to him his engine is as good as anyone's. I'm sure he'll get compared to Riewoldt due to the similar positions they play, but he is obviously nowhere near that level. He is a good mark on the lead, but not as strong in terms of contested marking. While his kicking style is ungainly and can lead to missed kicks. He also isn't really going to crash many packs as a CHF. I think he'll be a good player, but not one you could build a forward line around. And I can't shake that thought that he is more a midfielder stuck in a forward's body. AFL Comparison: Justin Westhoff.
Marco Paparone
DOB: 3/9/94 Ht: 194 Wt: 84

If not for his kicking I would have Paparone very high in this draft. Often referred to as a CHF I see him really as a tall winger or flanker. He is a running machine who just seems to really enjoy getting out there and outrunning his opposition. Since I have been reviewing I don't think I have ever rated a guy higher because he seems to enjoy playing so much. Usually it’s just a given but with Paparone he just seems to enjoy playing more than others and not just the game but also the hard work that is associated with the modern game. I think that will help him a lot at the next level.

On the wing he is a very mobile marking target who covers a lot of ground and is very hard to contain for anyone close to his height. He creates a lot of easy marking opportunities and he has pretty good hands in those situations. He managed to average about 7.5 marks per game in the Colts. In contested marking situations he is not quite as good mainly because his has a fairly light frame and gets buffeted around a bit. He does not have the body control in the air that you see from some of the elite contested markers. Still when he gets both hands on the ball he sticks them pretty well.

He played a lot as a running CHF for his club and managed to be a pretty effective goal kicker. He finished the year with 45 goals from 17 games and with only 22 points he showed pretty good accuracy. With his style and from what I have seen I thought his goal kicking needed some work but the proof is in the pudding and over the season that is a pretty good return. Up forward he never going to be a power forward but he could work very effectively off a big target and would be dangerous enough to drag defenders away. He works very hard when up forward and again uses his running power to get opportunities. His endurance combined with some good pace allows him to get separation if he has the time and space to work his defender over.

The big problem I have with his game is his ugly kicking style. He has a high two handed release which looks awkward and often produces poor kicks. When he gets it right his kicks can be very effective but the clanger rate is too high at the moment. Some of that is decision making but mostly it is kick execution. Changing a kicking style to the extent necessary here is difficult and often not successful even with patience and dedication. It is possible though and there is a lot of other things to like about his game.

For a big guy who is nominally a key position he has really good hands in the ruck contest. He is cleaner on the ground than virtually any other key position that I watched this year and when he gets the ball he has quick hands and good decision making in tight situations. His hands would do an inside mid credit.

If Paparone can improve his kicking a bit I think he could have a long AFL career. His height and endurance perfectly suit the modern game and would allow him to play in a variety of positions and this seems to be something favoured by many coaches. I don't see him as being a true key position but as a tall utility he has definite value.

Marco Paparone 193/85 East Fremantle

STYLE LIKE: Keplar Bradley

*TRADEMARK: Lead and Lead again

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

*DISPOSAL, DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:

- Very accurate field kick, perhaps the by product of such a poor set shot routine. Has developed an excellent sense of where his teammates are in the forward 50 and has no trouble weighting the ball to advantage

- Kicks with penetration and solid technique on his right side when spot up his targets, has a tendency to swing and kick around corners rather than pushing back hard off the mark to get himself set. Left foot is acceptable if a little slow.

- Set shot is poor. Ball drop and momentum are the keys for Paparone, once the ball drop goes so too does the momentum. Seems to freeze up occasionally in front of goal, when he gets the yips he is gone for the day and prefers to look for targets in the forward 50. Will need to be pulled aside and given an approach technique to follow come what may.

- Is very solid by hand, has no doubt been the lead up target at training for many years and has a firm grasp of what is necessary for a teammate running past at full tilt, does not fire bullet handballs, nurses the ball onto a runners chest. Has good vision in congestion and likes to handball.

*HANDS: Clean, particularly below his knees. Does not break stride picking up the half volley and powering through with momentum.

*OVERHEAD MARKING: Paparone is excellent on the lead, his hands are always extended to which allows him to take alot of marks in front or receive and arm chop. Where he falls down is when the ball comes in from distance and he is forced to fight for the drop zone. Often lead under the ball and snatches at the ball directly above his head. Needs to read the ball better in flight and arrive at the contest with momentum.

*ATHLETICISM, INTENSITY, ETHIC, CONSISTENCY:

- Acceleration is very good, allows separation on the lead.

-Very good closing speed , capable of running down much smaller sized opponents, rarely does this though.

- Without doubt the fittest of all the boys over 192cm mark coming into this draft. Absolute destroys his opponents at Colts level. Runs one opponent into the ground, smiles as the next comes at him. Massive engine and perhaps capable of pushing into the middle somewhere down the line.

- Big leap, would like him to show it off more by reading the ball better in flight. Excellent cruising speed Paparone’s jog is most other players 80% sprint.

- Good work ethic, especially as a lead up target. May not get into the game early in the piece but is very hard to keep down simply due to the strength of his running game. Perhaps can do more from a defensive perspective, very capable of hunting down opposition runners, doesn’t do it enough.

Very consistent footballer effort wise, will run himself into the ground as a lead up option, will never have to ask him to give more as a leading forward. May need to refine his running patterns to cut down on unnecessary leads.

Improvement Scope

Large – Still believe MP is very raw as a footballer, set shot technique is simply not up to scratch. Also believe he has lost the ability to time his leads as he simply looks to burn his opponents into the ground. It’s a positive at underage football, will need to be more efficient once he progresses up the grades.

*AFL VERSATILITY: - High – I see Paparone being capable of playing multiple positions, his natural position presently is forward, he could be a very strong defender. Has excellent agility, long limbs and a tank to stick with the elite running forwards. A move back would mitigate his set shot kicking and potentially improve his reading of the ball in flight.

*QUERY: - Set shot kicking – ball in flight.

Very interesting highlights video. Comes across more like a tall midfielder than a marking forward. His strength seems to be his ability to take the ball cleanly below his knees. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something a bit strange about his kicking style.

I wonder what role we have in mind for him.

How the Lions fared
22 November 2012
Michael Whiting

Pick 23: Marco Paparone, East Fremantle
Kerr says: "He's a non-stop runner, he's got super endurance. Another area Michael (Voss) wanted to address was he thought we lacked that player to connect that defence with our forward half and we think Marco's got the ability to do that. (National recruiting manager) Graham Hadley has seen him since he was 15 and really brought him to our attention around about April-May in terms of the players we really hone in on."

Very interesting highlights video. Comes across more like a tall midfielder than a marking forward. His strength seems to be his ability to take the ball cleanly below his knees. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something a bit strange about his kicking style.

I wonder what role we have in mind for him.

Drops the ball with two hands.

He is doing very well for himself in the facial hair department for an 18 year old.

With regards to style he sounds a lot like Wayde Mills, who was taken with pick 25 in 2005.

Our recent record with suspect goal kicking techniques has been excellent, and I'm keen to see how this develops with Marco. In fact I even wonder whether our drafting marks this down less, because of feedback from the coaches that they back themselves to remedy flaws, even if they are fairly significant.

He's an interesting prospect.

an interesting draft selection imo. he has plenty of up-side for sure.

after reading the article though on him & his family one has to wonder whether there will be a 'go-home' issue with him

it would seem we may potentially have another bryce retzlaff on our hands, in that there will be no problems getting the ball the problem will be in being able to convert his opportunites.

let's hope the coaches can rectify this issue quite quickly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back