Retired Marcus Adams (2018-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

The first time Marcus met Hodgey (Josie Fielding)
http://www.lions.com.au/news/author/josie-fielding
In 2007 at the AFL Grand Final a shy 14-year-old kid from Perth, who’d travelled to the MCG with his family for the Big Dance, can remember spotting Luke Hodge in the crowd, watching the game with some of his Hawthorn teammates. His mum encouraged him to go up and ask for a photograph. Pretty nervous, he went up and approached him. ‘Hodgey’ was more than happy to oblige. Fast forward 12 years later and the kid with a broad goofy smile can now call Hodgey ‘his teammate’.

The kid was Marcus Adams, who joined the Lions via the Western Bulldogs in the 2018 trade period. “I remember being pretty nervous to go up and get it and Mum sort of told me to do it,” Adams told lions.com.au. “I can remember it, he can’t remember it. “It’s funny to think 10 years ago he was someone that he idolized so much I got a photo with him. “11 or 12 years later I’m potentially going to be running around with him.”

‘Hodgey’, on the other hand, doesn’t have as clear a recollection of the photo being taken. “When he got traded I sent him a message saying ‘Congratulations, welcome to the Club,’ and something like ‘Looking forward to meeting you,’” he said. “And he replied with ‘We already have, about ten years ago.’ With that picture. “I think we’ve both changed a little bit. “I’ve gotten a bit older and he’s turned into a machine. It was good to see.”

Since arriving at the Gabba and seeing ‘Hodgey’ almost on a daily basis, not much has changed since that day in 2007. “I’m still a little bit like in awe of him, to be honest,” he said. “But, I don’t want to be like that little school kid pestering him.”

Now in his third month with the Lions, Adams has started to find his feet. At training sessions, he’s often seen talking with the high-performance team about the programs they run. “The training has been really good,” he said. “Dirk [Spits] and Selwyn [Griffith] and Dimma [Damien Austin], the program that they run and their involvement and their ability to be flexible. “You see a lot of guys running PBs and lifting weekly so they’re doing something right. “I’ve found it’s been a privilege working with them.”

web%20instert%20marcuasalksjdfh.jpg

The 25-year-old has always been inquisitive about the human body and is studying nutrition online with the University of South Australia. He has also become friends with the King of the Gym, Stefan Martin, and Tom Cutler, who are interested in the same things. They share a love of the gym and reading books. He’s currently reading Sapians by Yuval Noah Harari and has just finished Pyschobabble by Dr Stephen Briers. “I think it’s a unique sort of thing to find in other football players," Adams said. “As unique as it is, no one begrudges it. “Everyone accepts and embraces everyone for what they are out here."
http://www.lions.com.au/news/author/josie-fielding

I too can attest to Sapians being a very interesting read, so were Homo Deus and 21 Lessons for the 21st Century also by Yuval Noah Harari.

Brisbane Lions recruit Marcus Adams to miss start of 2019 season after knee surgery
Former Western Bulldog Marcus Adams will miss the start of the season with the defender’s injury curse following him to Brisbane. It can be revealed Adams, 25, was whisked in for secret knee surgery last month and is still struggling with soreness. While a return date remains unclear, the prized recruit is unlikely to be fit by the end of March and would then be expected to slowly make a return through the NEAFL.

Adams suffered injuries to both feet and a shoulder at the Bulldogs but was never troubled by knee problems. At his best Adams is a brilliant intercept mark and capable forward target who burst onto the scene after he was drafted out of the WAFL in 2015.

848df5dd18199a057b396df2481e1fd1

But the luckless swingman missed 40 out of his final 56 games at the Dogs, including the club’s 2016 premiership. The West Australian sought a fresh start and was traded to the Lions for pick 32 in last year’s draft and Hawthorn’s third-round pick in this year’s draft. The loss of Adams would stretch Brisbane’s backline in the early rounds should coach Chris Fagan persist with playing Harris Andrews forward.

BRISBANE CEO PROVIDES UPDATE ON INJURED RECRUIT ADAMS
Brisbane CEO Greg Swann says defensive recruit Marcus Adams is still "two or three weeks" away from a return. Adams, 25, is recovering from knee surgery and will have to wait to make his debut for the Lions after crossing over from the Western Bulldogs during the off-season.

“He’s had a bit of a knee problem,” Swann told SEN’s KB and The Doc. “He had an operation and then he had to have a second one because it got infected, so he’s probably still two or three weeks away from playing, but he’s back training now. “I think they’re on top of that now, so they’ve rid got of the infection. He just needs to do a block of training and hopefully he plays.”

The return of Adams will give coach Chris Fagan greater flexibility due to his versatility to play at both ends of the ground, according to Swann. “He can do either, so that flexibility that is going to be an advantage for us,” he added. “Hopefully he gets fit and gives the selectors a bit of a headache.”
1553667118602.png

AFL Casualty Ward
Brisbane recruit Marcus Adams will be out for up to eight weeks following arthroscopic surgery on his knee on Monday.

Adams arrived from the Western Bulldogs in the AFL off-season but has failed to add to his 27 AFL games thanks to an inability to fully recover from the lingering injury.

Lions football manager David Noble said the key defender had been close to a return but an impingement in his knee was restricting him getting back to 100 per cent. “He has completed 90 per cent of his rehab program, predominantly straight-line work and the issue is when we have increased his agility work,” Noble said. “This operation should alleviate that.”

1556605042318.png

Great to hear on many levels. You could understand if he was bitter after all his injuries.

Could be a great servant down back for many many years! Adams, Andrews and Gardiner is a formidable threesome!! We need to target more players like Neale and Adams who would love the Brisbane lifestyle! Being part of a team that could potentially play finals would also be a big incentive. Hopefully we have a few more of these trades in the pipeline!

Unsung Heroes - Round 21

Brisbane: Marcus Adams

After struggling with injury since crossing over from the Western Bulldogs in last year’s trade period, Marcus Adams is finally settling into the Lions’ best-22. Against the Suns on Saturday afternoon, Adams was a key cog in Brisbane’s defence taking a game-high 12 marks. In his first QClash, Adams collected 14 disposals and nine intercept possessions, showing why Brisbane were keen to lure the 26-year-old.

How's the mark over Rance. Then cool as you like bending it through. Adams has shown he can do sensational things on the field. He's say's he's really enjoying his footy at the Lions & life in Brisbane; ripper. This guy can seriously play. Our recruiter's showed outstanding judgement & skill in getting him for the team. If Adams has the tank for it, I reckon he could even play a big bodied role in the middle, acting as a chop out for our small on baller's. He could be another option to Berry & Robinson; who seem to be our main "go to" players in the middle if we're being out muscled/out sized. I'd love to see Adams take on Cripps or Fyfe. If we're against a small forward line, he & Dizzy can cover it & give Andrews a run up forward. What's the use of having these weapon's if we don't test their capacity?
Footage of Adams WAFL Highlights is on the web. It's pretty impressive too. This bloke kicks goals on the run, takes solid grabs in the last line of defence, transitions smart, accurately & fast out of defence by foot. Can take a grab anywhere on the ground.
Adams, McCarthy, Neale & J Lyons, all with star qualities. This may go down in history as the greatest single season recruiting coup.
What a great feeling it is to be a Member of The Brisbane Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's the mark over Rance. Then cool as you like bending it through. Adams has shown he can do sensational things on the field. He's say's he's really enjoying his footy at the Lions & life in Brisbane; ripper. This guy can seriously play. Our recruiter's showed outstanding judgement & skill in getting him for the team. If Adams has the tank for it, I reckon he could even play a big bodied role in the middle, acting as a chop out for our small on baller's. He could be another option to Berry & Robinson; who seem to be our main "go to" players in the middle if we're being out muscled/out sized. I'd love to see Adams take on Cripps or Fyfe. If we're against a small forward line, he & Dizzy can cover it & give Andrews a run up forward. What's the use of having these weapon's if we don't test their capacity?
Footage of Adams WAFL Highlights is on the web. It's pretty impressive too. This bloke kicks goals on the run, takes solid grabs in the last line of defence, transitions smart, accurately & fast out of defence by foot. Can take a grab anywhere on the ground.
Adams, McCarthy, Neale & J Lyons, all with star qualities. This may go down in history as the greatest single season recruiting coup.
What a great feeling it is to be a Member of The Brisbane Lions.
And only 1 of them did we pay anything decent for

Will Adams be back in time for round 2? Could open the door for Skinner I reckon.
Unlikely, article says:
The latest setback, which comes after a history of foot problems, is set to sideline Adams for a minimum of 4-6 weeks.

Will be interesting whether we just go with Andrews and Gardiner as the keys or whether someone like Skinner or Payne comes in. I think Lester could be an option as a third tall type.

Would've rathered Walker to be honest.

Luckless Lion suffers setback, young gun tears ACL
IT'S A triple blow for Brisbane on the injury front with Marcus Adams, Cam Ellis-Yolmen and Connor McFadyen set to spend time on the sidelines.

Luckless defender Adams had a foot operation after round one, but scans showed this week that he's suffered a stress reaction and could be out for a further two months.

"We did a bit of investigation and that's going to take a little bit longer than we thought, so he might be another six to eight weeks just to let that settle," Brisbane's high performance manager Damien Austin said of Adams.
1594092733983.png

Smith a standout in VFL practice match

Marcus Adams, Connor Ballenden and Jaxon Prior were other standouts in the 9.12 (66) to 10.5 (65) victory which also saw a return to action for defender Noah Answerth after battling with a groin injury since last season.

Hahn said Adams had also given the match committee plenty to think about with his performance.

“He played very well Marcus, he defended strongly was very physical and he also showed great leadership which is what we want from players with senior experience,’’ he said.

If Marcus plays against North it’ll be his 11th game of the season which will be an equal best for games played in a season for him.

The following week against Geelong will be his 50th in his 6th season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back