Toast Marcus Bontempelli - 200 games well worth celebrating

Remove this Banner Ad

Always held Grant up as the best I've seen in my three decades or so following the club (as long as I can remember anyway), but Bont is about to go past him and I never imagined any player would do that.

The man is a champion. Brilliant, classy, spectacular, he has taken it to another level again this year. So many highlights, but this is my all time favourite.

There have been many many times where my sole reason for going to the game has been to watch Bont.

Say no more. Hope we win another flag and with Bont lifting the club because he deserves it.

For the club, $50 for a t-shirt? Really? Don't tell me that shirt cost more than $5-$10 to manufacture.

Attachments

• BCA4226B-E2DE-4375-B73B-3FF7888E5384.png
    BCA4226B-E2DE-4375-B73B-3FF7888E5384.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 33
Been following for 40 odd years. Templeton from 1978-1981 was the best bulldogs player I have seen until Sir Bont arrived. injuries ruined Templeton.
Chris Grant was so talented and a great player but did not often play his best in finals and his lack of confidence in his goal kicking hurt. if he played CHB for most of his career i believed he would have been rated higher by the AFL community. He was an amazing CHB.

Bont has it all. Especially in big games. He leads by the front, and like other have wrote his 2021 first 3 quarters was amazing. He was on the bench when the Dees comeback started and by the time he came back on the momentum had shifted. Huge big game player and that what make him a great. Had a great 2016 GF also.

No other player in the last 30 years has had the influence he has had on big game for us.

i just hope he gets another flag and a Charlie.

Nah it's technically correct, the table is for Footscray/Western Bulldog player durability minimum 200 games in the AFL era, NOT at club game 200.
You're comparing completed careers, where players typically miss more with injury as they age, with a 27yo, who has probably 4-5 years left, if not more. Brad Johnson is the perfect example - in the AFL era.

Am I the only one thinking he could play 400? Or is that more wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not impossible, Pendlebury a pretty good comparison with Bont on that scale.

These sort of players were never that quick to begin with, so they don’t really lose a yard in their 30’s and footy smarts compensate for any slight drop off elsewhere, which they can take to another position if need be. They don’t rely on any one skill.

These dudes can play well into their late 30’s if they choose, whereas say a Treloar could lose a yard next year and be completely gone, or that happens in 2-3 years. They’re more the ticking time bomb types imo.

Macrae & Bont could easily be playing at 34-35.

Last edited:
I agree. He's not old and he is durable and flying. Barring a knee injury etc... he will canter past 400.
His hip problem was never fully resolved AFAIK. Could come back to plague him post 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back