Toast Marcus Bontempelli - AFLCA Champion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a bit of trivia:

Back in 2013, when we were looking to bring in Stewart Crameri, Essendon wanted to do Crameri + their first rounder (pick 11-13?) for our first rounder (pick 4). Brendan McCartney was 100% in for that deal and pushing to get it done, but then Essendon got kicked from the finals and their picks stripped for the drug saga.

Trade ends up with us giving a second rounder for Crameri; we keep pick 4 and use it on the Bont. Talk about close calls.

Just a bit of trivia:

Back in 2013, when we were looking to bring in Stewart Crameri, Essendon wanted to do Crameri + their first rounder (pick 11-13?) for our first rounder (pick 4). Brendan McCartney was 100% in for that deal and pushing to get it done, but then Essendon got kicked from the finals and their picks stripped for the drug saga.

Trade ends up with us giving a second rounder for Crameri; we keep pick 4 and use it on the Bont. Talk about close calls.

Sliding doors moment. Gut feel is that not many Bulldogs fans would've been happy trading away that pick 4.

Hail the Bont but, terrific season that should be rewarded with AA tonight. How much longer before he takes the captaincy full time from Wood?

Sliding doors moment. Gut feel is that not many Bulldogs fans would've been happy trading away that pick 4.

Hail the Bont but, terrific season that should be rewarded with AA tonight. How much longer before he takes the captaincy full time from Wood?
Quite likely to be next year. Hunter a chance as he's considered an "on field coach" by the playing group but Bont just stands up when it counts.

He's the only coach publicly holding the AFL accountable for locking the GF into the MCG for the next 50 years which is a ridiculous move given the unfair advantage it creates towards certain teams, e.g. Hawthorn played 3 interstate teams on their homeground to win 3 flags but had no reason to deserve such a distinct advantage. There are at least 2 other ground in Aus which are suitable to hold the grand final on a rotational basis, there's simply no good reason to lock it into the G. Say what you like but if Carlton had more people with some spine like Scott they might have eventually gotten Princes Park back as their home ground like they were trying to do

Yeah so?
No one knows the top 8 until the end of the season so what's your point? We also had 4 wins against 2018 top 6 sides who didn't make the finals this year, no one can control who makes the 8.

Your argument is flawed on so many levels I haven’t got the want to start.

Because the Brisbane guy had a better season that year.

If you don't understand how the award is judged then don't comment on it

Rubbish. Taylor had higher stats with his dinky kicks and zero metres gain and revisionist super coach obsessed guys like David King backed a media campaign to give home the award. People that know footy would have always known Bont had a better year.

Well deserved, high impact player and a leader. Amazing that he is 23, feels like he's been elite for 5 years

Maybe if the judges don't understand the definition of 'star' they shouldn't be voting on it.

Why are so many of our team's great highlights ruined by boring commentators hell bent on criticizing the opposition?

Huddo's doing his best to amp the excitement and all Lynch can do is whine about Melbourne being s**t.

Because the Brisbane guy had a better season that year.

If you don't understand how the award is judged then don't comment on it
Why are so many of our team's great highlights ruined by boring commentators hell bent on criticizing the opposition?

Huddo's doing his best to amp the excitement and all Lynch can do is whine about Melbourne being s**t.

Well in fairness Melbourne were impressively s**t.

Or should that be are?

I'm confused now, but the one truth that prevails is Bont is objectively a god.

Rubbish. Taylor had higher stats with his dinky kicks and zero metres gain and revisionist super coach obsessed guys like David King backed a media campaign to give home the award. People that know footy would have always known Bont had a better year.

I was more upset he was robbed of Goal of the year than Rising Star. Let Lewis Taylor fade into obscurity with his little first year award. It’s irrelevant compared to what Bont has already collected and will in the future.

Tracking to be a great of the game. A few people judge him on last year’s performance when was only a very good player and Cripps outperformed him. Base their opinions on that without comparing them this year. Love Cripps - a superstar - but Bont has him covered this year. Nearly same possessions average, Cripps has a few more contested possessions and clearances per game but Bont shares that around with Dunks and Jack rather than having to do it alone. The quality of his clearances imho make up for the difference. Cripps has been successfully tagged into mediocrity this year - Bont hasn’t. Twice as many shots at goal ( unfortunately too many missed but he gives himself more opportunities, more goal assists, more inside 50s and rebound 50s, more overall score involvements - and I prefer his long effective kicks to more handballs.

Hasn’t got the longevity of Dangerfield or Fyfe or maybe Dusty ( although he really only absolutely dominated in his Brownlow year ) or the possession volume of Neale or Macrae but my Bulldog biased opinion is that in 2019 he’s been the best. The coaches agree. Some media awards agree, others don’t. We will see in AA selectors, players and umpires agree. They probably won’t as it’s been a great year for midfield dominance but I’m fine with that. Just glad I’ve witnessed on a weekly basis what he’s done this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well in fairness Melbourne were impressively s**t.

Or should that be are?

I'm confused now, but the one truth that prevails is Bont is objectively a god.
everything you said was totally irrelevant to my post.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back