Recommitted Marcus Bontempelli [Re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

steve_m

Draftee
Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
The biggest free agent of next year along with Patrick Cripps.

Everyone is criticizing Collingwood now for a big salary dump this year... but what if it's all part of the master plan to lure Bontempelli in the following year with the power of a 105% salary cap? Bontempelli was who Collingwood originally wanted in the 2013 draft until the Bulldogs jumped in and committed to him 2 weeks before the draft, and with Pendlebury getting older, there is no better natural replacement.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Everyone is criticizing Collingwood now for a big salary dump this year... but what if it's all part of the master plan to lure Bontempelli in the following year with the power of a 105% salary cap? Bontempelli was who Collingwood originally wanted in the 2013 draft until the Bulldogs jumped in and committed to him 2 weeks before the draft, and with Pendlebury getting older, there is no better natural replacement.

Yeah I can’t see it.

He may leave the Dogs for other clubs but I can’t see how a big name would want to go there after the dump that was 2020.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
If Bont leaves the Dogs that will be the most surprising club exit I've ever seen in my life.

Would be surprised if that "salary dump" was to gear towards free agency 2021, more to cover what the Pies already had to pay (otherwise surely DeGoey would have been contracted already).

tigerwill

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond

You’ve got Buckley’s

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If Bont leaves the Dogs that will be the most surprising club exit I've ever seen in my life.

Would be surprised if that "salary dump" was to gear towards free agency 2021, more to cover what the Pies already had to pay (otherwise surely DeGoey would have been contracted already).

Having seen the Ned Guy talk, there is no master plan here, just incompetence at managing the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Bont is already on 800k a year and his next contract will be 1mil plus, with the potential to earn double that outside the club in other roles. He’s the most marketable ‘nice guy’ in the AFL.

He had a monster deal with Mercedes this year that earned him a pretty penny, too. Lucky boi.

Jan 18, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I don't think you understand how the AFL trade system works.

A more likely 2021 trade is...

Bulldogs get Brodie Grundy
Magpies get pick 50 and have to pay 1.8m of Grundys wages for the next 6 years.

I'm sure Nathan Buckley and Eddie are already working hard to make it happen.

Mister_A

The Mayor
Jun 26, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne AFLW
I don't think you understand how the AFL trade system works.

A more likely 2021 trade is...

Bulldogs get Brodie Grundy
Magpies get pick 50 and have to pay 1.8m of Grundys wages for the next 6 years.

I'm sure Nathan Buckley and Eddie are already working hard to make it happen.
Good deal though, moves them up the draft like they wanted all along.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

They've probably cleared around 3mil this off season. I can't see them being that far over the cap. They'll bring in 5 or 6 draftees and be 2.5mil better off.

Despite all that, even a Bont or Kelly wouldn't have required a fire sale. Just float them for trade and get a bit better offer, all of Dogs/Hawks/North would have improved the look of their lists even with paying more.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This.

Who in their right minds would want to commit to the Pies after the last week?

Only thing I can see is a player has agreed to go already and was aware it needed to happen. If they are still in the middle of their pitch though, then absolutely yes I'd see a player baulk.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
They've probably cleared around 3mil this off season. I can't see them being that far over the cap. They'll bring in 5 or 6 draftees and be 2.5mil better off.

Despite all that, even a Bont or Kelly wouldn't have required a fire sale. Just float them for trade and get a bit better offer, all of Dogs/Hawks/North would have improved the look of their lists even with paying more.

3mil seems a bit rich. You've got 580k for Stephenson, say 500k for Treloar (taking into account the 300k they're still paying allegedly) and then Phillips is off their books next year anyway. Still paying Beams in their cap, bigger deals for De Goey and Grundy - can't imagine their delistings (Broomhead, Dunn, Reid and Scharenberg) were on much. I don't think they'll be over the cap at all but they won't be far under it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back