• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Two of my favourite opposition players. Neither seems to put a foot wrong, on or off the field.

Leaders of their respective football clubs, and great role models for young kids watching the game.

Bont is the Bulldogs' skipper and I'd say Trac will be Melbourne's next skipper when Gawn relinquishes the captaincy.

Very similar accolades. Premiership players, multiple AA. Christian has a NS to his name. Both will come close to Charlie (again) in 2023.

I can't split them.

Who would you pick?

Last edited:
This is genuinely one of the toughest polls we've ever had.

I just can't vote on this one because I don't know who to pick.

Good poll and both great players.

Petracca did get the better of Bont in the 2021 GF, but up to now, over their career i would go for Bont.

He has had more elite seasons than Trac.He is also a more rounded midfielder. It's also worth remebering than trac missed his entire first season through injury.

Ultimately when their career ends, it will be up to factors such as longevity, Finals Performance, Individual accolades, leadership ect which will decide their ranking.

Last edited:

Good question.

I'd say Bont has the edge in terms of skills by foot and is a bit more engaged defensively, as evidenced by his tackling numbers. Better leader, too.

Trac has the upper hand when it comes to strength/explosiveness and his work forward of centre, including scoring/score involvements.

Bont is probably just in front overall. He's an out and out star who has carried the Bulldogs on his back for a long time, whereas Trac, despite being a top 3-5 player in the league, isn't the best player on his own team...realistically, that shouldn't count for much, but IMO, it can still skew perception a bit.

They're basically identical for this season. Comparisons link

78-12 one percenters.
144-86 tackles
All others stats relatively close.

How much weight should be given to tackles, smothers, shepherds, spoils, knock ons? To me they're all the important things a captain & leader should be doing. But the main difference between these 2 is attributes. One is more powerful & explosive, and perhaps a tiny bit more consistent, the other is a better kick & a bit more class. I think Bont is better.

Whenever I hear this comparison, I think about the 2021 Grand Final. Before the Dogs shat themselves and completely carked it, Bont was putting together one of the great Grand Final games of all time. Was taking contested marks up forward, had kicked 3 goals halfway through the third quarter and was definitely the best player on the field by a stretch up to that point. Then Melbourne and Petracca took over, and the rest was history. Petracca finished with the most disposals in a Grand Final ever and was truly immense. Had a lot of respect for him after that performance.

I still think Bont is clear of Petracca, but my opinion probably counts for zilch because of my obvious bias. His class, field kicking, defensive acumen and contested marking just makes him more appealing for me. But Petracca's sheer speed and power is a pleasure to watch. If he was just a bit more accurate for goal (same could be said for Bont, to be fair), then who knows what the answer would be.

Both deserve a Brownlow this year. But it would be a travesty if Bont went his entire career without one.

Tough one but Bontempelli has been brilliant from the very beginning and he is steadily elevating his overall game as we speak. Probably wins the MVP and Brownlow medal.
Petracca's peaking too. Both these guys are going to have brilliant finals campaigns.

Whenever I hear this comparison, I think about the 2021 Grand Final. Before the Dogs shat themselves and completely carked it, Bont was putting together one of the great Grand Final games of all time. Was taking contested marks up forward, had kicked 3 goals halfway through the third quarter and was definitely the best player on the field by a stretch up to that point. Then Melbourne and Petracca took over, and the rest was history. Petracca finished with the most disposals in a Grand Final ever and was truly immense. Had a lot of respect for him after that performance.

I still think Bont is clear of Petracca, but my opinion probably counts for zilch because of my obvious bias. His class, field kicking, defensive acumen and contested marking just makes him more appealing for me. But Petracca's sheer speed and power is a pleasure to watch. If he was just a bit more accurate for goal (same could be said for Bont, to be fair), then who knows what the answer would be.

Both deserve a Brownlow this year. But it would be a travesty if Bont went his entire career without one.
How good would it be to have them tie the medal

Share a nice big sloppy
kiss while they’re celebrating on the stage together, best players in the AFL, would be wonderful see!!!!!

Yep, wouldn't have a complaint.

As for the thread title its a good comparison. Bont is probably a more rounded player and has had a better career, whereas Trac I think at his very best is better but I'm willing to admit bias. Both clubs wouldn't trade theirs for the other, and IMO they're clearly the two best players in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont is better than Petracca. but Oliver is also better than Petracca. And its not really close.
Silly comment.

Petracca is a gun and I'd have him over Oliver, as undoubtedly good as Oliver is. Bont is having an incredible season with Petracca's season not too far behind.

As far as careers go, they're also pretty close. If Bont wins Charlie this year, I do expect him to leap ahead of Trac in people's estimations.

However, that GF performance by Petracca was something else, and that has to count for a lot. When you can turn the biggest game og the year on its head like that, it takes a lot to top that.

Silly comment.

Petracca is a gun and I'd have him over Oliver, as undoubtedly good as Oliver is. Bont is having an incredible season with Petracca's season not too far behind.

As far as careers go, they're also pretty close. If Bont wins Charlie this year, I do expect him to leap ahead of Trac in people's estimations.

However, that GF performance by Petracca was something else, and that has to count for a lot. When you can turn the biggest game og the year on its head like that, it takes a lot to top that.
most neutrals do. but there's a reason Oliver is rated higher internally. he's soooo much cleaner and is soo much better with his vision and clearance.

most neutrals do. but there's a reason Oliver is rated higher internally. he's soooo much cleaner and is soo much better with his vision and clearance.
You're so obsessed with Oliver over Petracca it's unhealthy.

And talk about repetitive. You never stop.

They've very different players and there are valid arguments for either.

As for Bontempelli v Petracca ? I'm biased but prefer Petracca.

Bontempelli is the better clearance player, tackler and contested mark, but Petracca averages more disposals, more goals, more goal assists and more score involvements and they're metrics I value highly.

Bontempelli is smoother and Petracca more explosive. Head to head Petracca has a better record also.

Bontempelli would be my favourite non Demon, so I get why neutrals rate him so highly.

You're so obsessed with Oliver over Petracca it's unhealthy.

And talk about repetitive. You never stop.

They've very different players and there are valid arguments for either.

As for Bontempelli v Petracca ? I'm biased but prefer Petracca.

Bontempelli is the better clearance player, tackler and contested mark, but Petracca averages more disposals, more goals, more goal assists and more score involvements and they're metrics I value highly.

Bontempelli is smoother and Petracca more explosive. Head to head Petracca has a better record also.

Bontempelli would be my favourite non Demon, so I get why neutrals rate him so highly.
yeah I think its perplexing that people never stop saying petracca is our best player. The coaching staff at the dees have spoken too.

Pretty close.

Battle of the 30 & 3. Bonty may end up with more of those games over his career.

Petracca is the better cook though.

Tough to call

Back