Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Marcus Bontempelli
Northern Nights
DOB: 24/11/1995
Height: 192cm

"Returning to the TAC Cup after the Championships, and with a primary midfield focus, Bontempelli sizzled.

His run and carry was damaging, his inside grunt work was much improved, his raking left foot was a weapon and he hit the scoreboard too."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-07/bontempellis-extra-mile

#16 Fremantle – Marcus Bontempelli (VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 24/11/1995
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style: David Mundy
Player comparison:
Range: 5-20
Profile: Bontempelli is a very athletic tall who does a bit of everything. Best known for his 50 disposal, 10 goal game in school footy through the midfield. Bontempelli can play pretty much anywhere. Off a back flank he can really break the lines with his pace but also has a nice leap on him making him a weapon in the air when he pushes forward. He has a nice combination of athletic gifts with above average speed, agility and endurance at his height. He also has some real penetration on that left foot and has the ability to do some major damage. As a midfielder he’s still developing his inside game but it’s coming along nicely with his clean hands and his improving ability to win his own ball and distribute by hand so there’s plenty to work with. With Bontempelli I’ve really enjoyed his improvement in recent seasons and he still seems to be growing and with a late year birthday he’s a guy who over future seasons has the opportunity to really develop into a monster if things go right. Just what position that ends becoming his and exactly how far he can take his game are the unknowns at this point.

9. GWS - Marcus Bontempelli (192cm, 83kg midfielder - Northern Knights)

Possibly my favourite player in the draft, yes even ahead of the South Australians. At the start of the season I picked Marcus Bontempelli as my bolter, and I was talking him up to anyone who would listen. And I'm pleased to see more people jumping on board of the bandwagon. In previous years, Marcus has played more as a flanker/outside midfielder but this season has spent more time right in the middle as well as playing across half forward. He is a rangy type player who moves really well, with both decent speed and a strong endurance base. Really nice leap on him, and he is a very good kick - both long and strong. With reports that he is still growing, I'm becoming increasingly interested in his potential as a CHF. I do think he is best played as a midfielder, yet he could also play up forward and push into the middle. Not many defenders could go with him all game. But the reason I'm such a fan is because of the improvements I've seen in his inside game, he is starting to really use his body well and he gets himself into good positions. I'm not saying he will be as good, but he could potentially develop into a Jobe Watson type - versatile, damaging and wins his own ball.

293403-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
Marcus Bontempelli at this year NAB AFL Under-18 Championships (above).​

Think Bontempelli has the most scope to develop of any draftee.

I can't think of too many recent mids drafted at 192 cm.

I can see GWS reaching at 2 for him.

Of course you do don't know why you didn't keep it a secret so no AFL club gets him before Collingwood. What where the chances of the article linking him to Collingwood only a hour later.

I just get the feeling that this will happen. You can add that they need height in their midfield to a list of reasons why they would - that is one of their major weaknesses.

Of course you do. Don't know why you didn't keep it a secret so no AFL club gets him before Collingwood. What were the chances of the article linking him to Collingwood only an hour later?

You should find your primary school teacher and punch her in the mouth.

Please note that I included a question mark at the end also.

Bonti looking good the past two weeks, 22 possies, 1 goal and a rising star nomination last week and 24 possies and a goal again today. Still has a huge scope for improvement as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonti looking good the past two weeks, 22 possies, 1 goal and a rising star nomination last week and 24 possies and a goal again today. Still has a huge scope for improvement as well.
Hands in tight are brilliant, only behind Libba in our side at the moment. Beautiful kick, you'd like him to have a touch more acceleration to really get some space on the outside but it's my only knock on him. Will be a very good flanker/mid

Admittedly a little skeptical when he was picked up at #4 for us before the more accomplished likes of Aish and Scharenberg, but at this stage, I couldn't be happier. Calls of his potential to become the best of the Draft Class of 2013 certainly seem more feasible now having seen him play a couple of great games, very excited for him to develop in the next few years.

Imagine the s**t we'd have copped if we drafted Scharenburg.

The western bullogs facebook page crowd would have burned down whitten oval if we spent a top pick on a guy who is not going to play in 2014 because of injuries.

We may have missed out on Nat Fyfe, but we have the bont who I think will become the same type of player! Lets go dogs 2015 finals

Really? Tall, dynamic mid who has/will win at least one brownlow. Close enough to me :)

Fyfe isn't dynamic, he is rough as guts. The only similarity is that they are both tall mids. Fyfe is actually a very dominant midfielder though, whereas Bontempelli isn't - at least he isn't yet. Fyfe already has a brownlow, 2 Leigh Matthews throphies and 2 All Australians. In comparison Bontempelli hasn't achieved sh*t.

Fyfe isn't dynamic, he is rough as guts. The only similarity is that they are both tall mids. Fyfe is actually a very dominant midfielder though, whereas Bontempelli isn't - at least he isn't yet. Fyfe already has a brownlow, 2 Leigh Matthews throphies and 2 All Australians. In comparison Bontempelli hasn't achieved sh*t.
"Fyfe isn't dynamic", perhaps the most ridiculous statement ever made on BigFooty. How would you describe his ability to influence a match, ridiculous overhead marking and forward ability?

You can hardly compare a 2nd year players achievements to a 6th year player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back