Margaret Court Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Tig017

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
So I saw this pop up in the news:

Ex-tennis star Martina Navratilova calls for Margaret Court Arena to be renamed amid homophobia anger

And it got me thinking: Am I the only one who wants these idiots to shut up?

Margaret Court is a legend no matter how much her views on same sex marriage hurt some peoples feelings. The last thing I care to hear is the complaining from some old, washed up Czech and John McEnroe, an american who made an entire career out of threatening umpires and making an idiot out of himself.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

Ex-tennis star Martina Navratilova calls for Margaret Court Arena to be renamed amid homophobia anger

Margaret Court is a legend no matter how much her views on same sex marriage hurt some peoples feelings. The last thing I care to hear is the complaining from some old, washed up Czech and John McEnroe, an american who made an entire career out of threatening umpires and making an idiot out of himself.
Margaret does bring it upon herself but yeah, I am sick of reading about it. Sick of reading people thoughts on her views and sick of this consistent call to change it. I hate politics talk so won't add any more. Tennis Australia has stated their policy and, personally, I do agree with TA. I get why people are upset and do call it court 1 for example, and I have nothing against them doing so. But it has been done, live with it. For tennis reasons she deserves it.

And John Mcenroe can shut up. pot kettle black.

seems worthy of this thread.

Must admit I like how McEnroe says you can't separate the person and their achievements.

Sure you can Mac. Otherwise you'd be remember as a campaigner who wouldn't be allowed near a tennis court instead of "ex grand slam champion."

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Having an arena named after a bigot is an embarrassment to Australia. Obviously a tennis champion, but as a person is pretty much a disgrace with her hurtful, homophobic statements. Evonne Cawley has spent much of her time after retirement helping young, indigenous Australians, many of them from remote communities. She is a real role model and a great person. Time to change the arena to her name and send a message that discrimination is unacceptable.

Tig017

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Having an arena named after a bigot is an embarrassment to Australia. Obviously a tennis champion, but as a person is pretty much a disgrace with her hurtful, homophobic statements. Evonne Cawley has spent much of her time after retirement helping young, indigenous Australians, many of them from remote communities. She is a real role model and a great person. Time to change the arena to her name and send a message that discrimination is unacceptable.
Is that you Peter Gordon?

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Must admit I like how McEnroe says you can't separate the person and their achievements.

Sure you can Mac. Otherwise you'd be remember as a campaigner who wouldn't be allowed near a tennis court instead of "ex grand slam champion."
Yes he would, because he was a loudmouth, not a bigot who hides behind a Bible and puts people down for the way they were born.

2Knights

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are no other teams

Navratilova and McEnroe just don't get it. Their opinions are worthless here. Australians will decide the names to go on Australian sports arenas. As for McEnroe, he's well past his use-by date as a commentator. If this is all he has to offer, he can stay away next year.

kenberger

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Entitlement at its absolute height this to basically:
1. protest the decision to allow Court the player to be celebrated at her home Slam
2. expect TA to ensure she shouldn’t be allowed any mic time (and demand that isn’t even enough)... and then
3. Decide the rules don’t apply to you and completely go against TA protocol to wave your own flag around and start shouting your own opinions at unsuspecting people after your nothing exhibition match today.
Court’s views are archaic... so what? You don’t get the right to decide your opinion is valid and hers isn’t. That’s up to society. Absolute hypocrites

Tiger08

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not interested in what any former tennis players think about gay marraige.. whether thats Court, Martina or Johnny Mac. They are all as irrelevant as each other.

It was a stupid stunt today that just pissed people off particularly given it's two foreigners.

Imagine John Newcomb and Rod Laver protesting for Black Lives Matter at the US Open! WTF do you think you're doing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

That would be the Evonne Goolagong who participated in the South African Open during apartheid as an "honorary white", right? And her partner in winning the doubles? Her hero, Margaret Court.

It's a special kind of arrogance that prompts visitors to this country to try to impose their biases on its citizens.

I'm not interested in what any former tennis players think about gay marraige.. whether thats Court, Martina or Johnny Mac. They are all as irrelevant as each other.

It was a stupid stunt today that just pissed people off particularly given it's two foreigners.

Imagine John Newcomb and Rod Laver protesting for Black Lives Matter at the US Open! WTF do you think you're doing?
Plus It's a conflict of interest considering the network and tennis Australia are paying them to play legend doubles. And McEnroe is commentating for ch9

2Knights

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are no other teams
That banner thing is the dopiest stunt I've seen in years.

Insult national pride? Check.
Misappropriate Aboriginal art? Check
Embarrass the very person you're trying to promote? Check

I'm surprised they weren't wearing blackface.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Whilst there is merit to the discussion, the timing does read like clickbait (hunting out people likely to voice an opinion) because there is dead time now between the singles matches and Court is present. The cynicism of organised clicks controversy.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

im not saying you’re one of these people but there is a degree of irony about the comment given that the biggest story in the news over the last few days has been a rapist basketballer having his life celebrated globally because he was so good at his sport

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So long as Court uses her Tennis achievements to amplify her transphobia and homophobia, then people are going to hit back.

how does she use it?
She’s a registered pastor of a church - it’s not like she’s handing out trophies at tennis tournaments and saying ‘stay straight.’

that’s like accusing Peter Garrett of using his platform as a celebrated musician to spew his political views when he was an active member of the senate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back