Margaret Court Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Tig017

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
So your rebuttal is “poor old people!”

Dealing with a real bright spark here clearly.

What’s the matter? Part of the nutter Pentecostal church too?
Once again, you expose your complete lack of self-awareness. It's quite funny :$

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
FWIW I don't agree that the court should be renamed. I wouldn't care if it was or not tbh.

However she is an ignorant bigot who claims lesbians have taken over the sport and the young ones are being corrupted. Absolute lol. She is a God-loving crazy person who shouldn't be spruiking such hate. I can tell just by some replies on here that some people may share her views. If that's how you operate and it really affects you that 2 people of the same gender love each other and wsnt to celebrate it than that is extremely sad. Marriage is so sacred after all....FFS half of marriages collapse. So sacred.

I hope for anyone who has such outdated and judgemental views that you never have a brother, sister, son or daughter who is homosexual/lesbian.

Leave the court as is. Her tennis career deserves it. Let's just hopefully not hear from her again. Thankfully she has been quiet this year.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

This actually was an issue in Women's football for quite a while. Not saying this is the case for tennis, but it has happened in other sports. WNBA was once called out by a former player for saying as much as well.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Yet again someones opinion doesn't fit in with the rainbow paddlepop sucking, tree hugging , Captain Cook haters union, so we protest, complain, make a scene and just be a general pain in the arse to everyone else.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion . We don't ram ours down their throats so why should others take it up the arse when they voice theirs.

Let's face it, we've created a society where people aren't happy unless they are offended. The truly annoying part is, they're not really offended, they just think that they should be. We've reached the stage where people are hesitant to offer an honest opinion for fear it may offend somebody.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Djokovic said it right. I see no reason for Court’s name to go. She is, like it or not, a legend of the game. She has an alternative opinion and so what. You are not bound to agree. Juvenile screeching like bigot just makes the commentator look like a pilot brat. Name calling because she said something I don’t agree with. She has a right to her opinions/beliefs just as she has the right to be remembered as a a legend of the game, worldwide, as she is.
"LGBT young people are the work of the devil."
"I feel sorry for children who are brought up by homosexual parents. They don't get the same love."
"School children who strugggle with their sexual identity must be raised by parents who don't care."

It is alright to have an alternative opinion , but when that opinion is based on hate and discrimination, people get offended by it. She is a legend of the game, but to have a stadium named after you, being a person who shows values of compassion and acceptance is important as well.

Last edited:

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
"LGBT young people are the work of the devil."
"I feel sorry for children who are brought up by homosexual parents. They don't get the same love."
"School children who strugggle with their sexual identity must be raised by parents who don't care."

It is alright to have an alternative opinion , but when that opinion is based on hate and discrimination, people get offended by it. She is a legend of the game, but to have a stadium named after you, being a person who shows values of compassion and acceptance is important as well.
As I said they’re words and you don’t have to agree. Move on, she said something you don’t like. The more you cry foul the more exposure her comments get. The less you give a hoot the more happy you will be.
on a side note you construe her views as hate and discriminatory when they are actually just beliefs, views or opinions. Move on mate you are getting upset with someone who believes in sky wizards, spare me the rhetoric.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Id leave the court name as is. Its been named based on her tennis exploits, not her political views.

How many people genuinely care enough to request to play elsewhere or to not attend? If that's you then good on those people they are entitled to that but I imagine the majority just feel like they should be outraged without losing any sleep over it at all.

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Peter Norman says hello. Yes not tennis but on an international stage and protested a matter that did not directly affect him as an Australian.

If you have a strong enough opinion about a matter then why should you not be able to voice your opinion. Are we so self conscious that we can’t accept criticism from non Australians. No problem whatsoever with their actions.
Norman wore a badge on the podium in support of the Olympic Project for Human Rights (OPHR). After the final, Carlos and Smith had told Norman what they were planning to do during the ceremony. As journalist Martin Flanagan wrote: "They asked Norman if he believed in human rights. He said he did. Human Rights covers ALL humans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Peter Norman says hello. Yes not tennis but on an international stage and protested a matter that did not directly affect him as an Australian.

His discreet gesture isn't even acknowledged by this statue.

tommie-smith-john-carlos-san-jos-state-university-statue2a-thumb.jpg

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
His discreet gesture isn't even acknowledged by this statue.

tommie-smith-john-carlos-san-jos-state-university-statue2a-thumb.jpg

Can't have white man on a statue representing black protest.
Yet the two great men above classed Peter Norman as a 'TRUE BROTHER'.
Maybe you two should educate yourselves as to why Peter Norman is absent from the statue.

Interview with John Carlos

Peter Norman and the San Jose statue is dealt with about a third to half way down the transcript beneath.

I suspect Ron knows but is being deliberately misleading.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe you two should educate yourselves as to why Peter Norman is absent from the statue.

Interview with John Carlos

Peter Norman and the San Jose statue is dealt with about a third to half way down the transcript beneath.

I suspect Ron knows but is being deliberately misleading.

So he wasn't going to be included and he agreed that he shouldn't be included.

Easy to look back after 50 years and lose the context of the black clenched fist, associated as it was with the extremist Black Panther Party at a very volatile time in US politics. Norman was drawn into something he didn't understand. There is some sort of claim that Norman wanted to show his opposition to treatment of Aboriginals by White Australia Policy, which concerned immigration and was no longer extant. It's one of those things that has been made warm and fuzzy in retrospect, like the Winmar shirtlift.

Smith also claims Australia punished Norman by breaking up his marriage and driving him to a nervous breakdown... he in fact received a very mild verbal rebuke from an official and years later conducted an affair behind his pregnant wife's back while pursuing a penchant for fast cars and beer. Peter Norman didn't lead a very happy life post-athletics, but it's a giant stretch to pin it on his "treatment" by athletics officials.

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
So he wasn't going to be included and he agreed that he shouldn't be included.

Easy to look back after 50 years and lose the context of the black clenched fist, associated as it was with the extremist Black Panther Party at a very volatile time in US politics. Norman was drawn into something he didn't understand. There is some sort of claim that Norman wanted to show his opposition to treatment of Aboriginals by White Australia Policy, which concerned immigration and was no longer extant. It's one of those things that has been made warm and fuzzy in retrospect, like the Winmar shirtlift.

Smith also claims Australia punished Norman by breaking up his marriage and driving him to a nervous breakdown... he in fact received a very mild verbal rebuke from an official and years later conducted an affair behind his pregnant wife's back while pursuing a penchant for fast cars and beer. Peter Norman didn't lead a very happy life post-athletics, but it's a giant stretch to pin it on his "treatment" by athletics officials.
It was a Human Rights Protest that includes all humans black and white and he supported that by wearing a badge. He did not wear a glove or give a Black Panther Salute. End of story. Norman knew exactly what he was doing and not doing for that matter. The rest you have pretty well made up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back