Society/Culture Margaret Court won't fly QANTAS because they support gay-marriage

Remove this Banner Ad

Religious fundamentalist ideas are never harmless.

I certainly oppose religious fundamentalism, but I can't say whether the ideas are harmful or not. Margaret thinks transgender kids are the work of the devil. Do you have any evidence that they are not?

I certainly oppose religious fundamentalism, but I can't say whether the ideas are harmful or not. Margaret thinks transgender kids are the work of the devil. Do you have any evidence that they are not?
If anyone believes anything is the work of the devil or against a mythical good fairy's wishes then it increases the risk that such views spread and that will only lead to harm at some point.

If anyone believes anything is the work of the devil or against a mythical good fairy's wishes then it increases the risk that such views spread and that will only lead to harm at some point.

God isn't a mythical good fairy, he's the supreme creator of the Universe.

So all this effort is done towards a greater good that exists in the glorification of God. Can you prove that Margaret Court isn't right about transgender children, and just doing what God wants by speaking out against the Devil's work?

So all this effort is done towards a greater good that exists in the glorification of God. Can you prove that Margaret Court isn't right about transgender children, and just doing what God wants by speaking out against the Devil's work?
Can you prove Margaret Court isn't Satan in a floral dress?

Can you see the inherent illogic in asking others to prove negatives?

Can you prove Margaret Court isn't Satan in a floral dress?

Can you see the inherent illogic in asking others to prove negatives?

I'm not saying she's not.

It's not about logic or illogic, it's about faith. Her faith in God, her belief in his teachings about homosexuality, are valid. You don't have to believe, but it's important that we respect the beliefs of others.

Unless they're right, and all their effort is done towards a greater good that exists in the glorification of God. Can you prove that Margaret Court isn't right about transgender children, and just doing what God wants by speaking out against the Devil's work?

Do you seriously want to go down this rabbit hole? The burden of proof is not on everyone else. The burden of proof is on Margaret Court to firstly prove the existence of god and the devil and then to prove that the devil in any way has something to do with transgender children.

When she does both of these things then she can be taken seriously. Until then we can focus on her words and the practical effect they may or may not have.

I'm not saying she's not.

It's not about logic or illogic, it's about faith. Her faith in God, her belief in his teachings about homosexuality, are valid. You don't have to believe, but it's important that we respect the beliefs of others.

Absolutely ridiculous. She is allowed to have those ridiculous beliefs sure, but they do not under any circumstances, need to be respected.

The burden of proof is on Margaret Court to firstly prove the existence of god and the devil and then to prove that the devil in any way has something to do with transgender children.

No it's not. Religious people don't have to prove the existence of God to believe. In fact that actually invalidates belief itself!

Absolutely ridiculous. She is allowed to have those ridiculous beliefs sure, but they do not under any circumstances, need to be respected.

Why not? I don't want to disrespect anyone, including people I disagree with. Sometimes especially people I disagree with, because it's so easy to fall into that trap of simply treating different beliefs like trash. My respect of people is unconditional on what religion they belong to.

Here's some writings from the Gospel Coalition which refers to Scripture to confirm belief in transgenderism being wrong.

In short, the Bible teaches that God made us male or female, and no matter our own feelings or confusion, we should act in accordance with the biological reality of God’s good design. Transgenderism falls short of the glory of God and is not the way to walk in obedience to Christ.

The Bible knows no other gender categories besides male and female. While men and women in Scripture may express their masculinity and femininity in a wonderful diversity of ways, Scripture still operates with the binary categories of men and women. You are one or the other. The anomaly of intersex individuals does not undermine the creational design, but rather gives another example of creational “groaning” and the “not the way they are supposed to be” realities of a fallen world. Likewise, the eunuchs in Matthew 19 do not refer to sexless persons, but to men who were born without the ability to procreate or who were castrated.

In short, the Bible teaches that God made us male or female, and no matter our own feelings or confusion, we should act in accordance with the biological reality of God’s good design. Transgenderism falls short of the glory of God and is not the way to walk in obedience to Christ.

The Bible knows no other gender categories besides male and female. While men and women in Scripture may express their masculinity and femininity in a wonderful diversity of ways, Scripture still operates with the binary categories of men and women. You are one or the other. The anomaly of intersex individuals does not undermine the creational design, but rather gives another example of creational “groaning” and the “not the way they are supposed to be” realities of a fallen world. Likewise, the eunuchs in Matthew 19 do not refer to sexless persons, but to men who were born without the ability to procreate or who were castrated.

So your true motivations show through.

We've been through all this s**t with other religious zealots like Bennett. Can't be farked doing it all again. Impossible to argue with bible literalists and fundamentalists like you. Short of disproving the existence of God, the debate is unwinnable on either side (and even if someone did actually prove the non-existence of God, Christian zealots would still just brush it off with "it's the devil's work").

So your true motivations show through.

We've been through all this s**t with other religious zealots like Bennett. Can't be farked doing it all again. Impossible to argue with bible literalists and fundamentalists like you. Short of disproving the existence of God, the debate is unwinnable on either side (and even if someone did actually prove the non-existence of God, Christian zealots would still just brush it off with "it's the devil's work").

I'm an atheist. I'm simply quoting from a Christian website, as I mentioned.

These are the beliefs of many Christians. You don't have to agree with them, but that doesn't make them wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who says, if there is a 'God', Margie's is the dinky-die, real deal one? There are umpteen Gods in African religions alone. Let alone the major ones.

If having a faith in a God gets you through the day, that's fine. The problem is when people like Court, who has pseudo theological qualifications, attempt to use them in a misguided way and in so doing try to force them down others throats.

If having a faith in a God gets you through the day, that's fine. The problem is when people like Court, who has pseudo theological qualifications, attempt to use them in a misguided way and in so doing try to force them down others throats.

A nice way of saying that she's a Pentecostal nut-job.;)

Who says, if there is a 'God', Margie's is the dinky-die, real deal one? There are umpteen Gods in African religions alone. Let alone the major ones.

True, part of the reason I find these beliefs easy to reject.

Again, I would have to object to this being portrayed as a problem. Maybe it's a problem from our individual standpoint, as atheists, but it's not a problem.

Again, I would have to object to this being portrayed as a problem. Maybe it's a problem from our individual standpoint, as atheists, but it's not a problem.
I see it as a problem when someone uses pseudo qualifications as a means of giving weight to a flawed message. It's not merely Margie the former tennis great that gives her blatherings prominence, it's that she does so under the guise of being a qualified theologian who has founded a church of sorts.

I see it as a problem when someone uses pseudo qualifications as a means of giving weight to a flawed message. It's not merely Margie the former tennis great that gives her blatherings prominence, it's that she does so under the guise of being a qualified theologian who has founded a church of sorts.

I always thought she was speaking as a Christian, her tennis career probably doesn't inform her opinions, except on lesbians in the game I suppose.

Logic dude. Use logic. These arguments have been put forward thousands of times proving that a human God does not exist. They are as real as the logic of 1 plus 1 equals 2.

Air Asia,get her on Air Asia,unless of course she doesn't like Asians.
We know her stance on Apartheid!

Logic dude. Use logic. These arguments have been put forward thousands of times proving that a human God does not exist. They are as real as the logic of 1 plus 1 equals 2.

Whose logic? Logic dictates that if one believes in a personal God, then they are interested in whether or not homosexuals exist, and there are good arguments towards homosexuals being evidence of a fallen creation. Do you have any evidence that this God doesn't exist?

Whose logic? Logic dictates that if one believes in a personal God, then they are interested in whether or not homosexuals exist, and there are good arguments towards homosexuals being evidence of a fallen creation. Do you have any evidence that this God doesn't exist?

Eh?.....Aren't all humans evidence of a fallen creation via the concept of Original Sin?

The message at the heart of the Garden of Eden surely.

Why segregate homosexuals from the human psycho/biological condition?

Eh?.....Aren't all humans evidence of a fallen creation via the concept of Original Sin?

The message at the heart of the Garden of Eden surely.

Why segregate homosexuals from the human psycho/biological condition?

Yeah, homosexuality would only be one symptom of the fallen creation, along with all the other evil.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back