Society/Culture Margaret Court won't fly QANTAS because they support gay-marriage

Remove this Banner Ad

She's entitled to hold it, just like a racist is entitled to think one race is sub-human. But if they find themselves out of touch with the majority of society, they can't bitch and moan that people won't validate their opinions.

I have not seen at all her asking for people to validate her opinion. The majority don't agree with her and she has to wear it.

One example out of literally countless lack of examples. In any case, the media shut up about it pretty quickly. I'm sure one or two people may have got infracted for it here though due to it being 'racist' or whatever. The irony being that Islam is in no way a race, it is a faith position so really the only thing people CAN be guilty of is religious vilification, however due to the huge amount of religious vilification toward Christians on this site, any attempt to ban critics of Islam could rightly be seen as hypocritical at the very least. Point is, nobody has the balls to speak up against Islam because of the backlash from brainless leftist idiots who have no idea about the reality of life anyway, save what they have learnt in their university textbooks.

Please, continue with the generalising, I like being told I am brainless and fresh out of uni and that I am one of those who religiously vilify Christians.

Joyce is a hypocritical pos who will exploit his position to support his liberal views which personally affect him but will act like a good conservative when it comes to the industrial relations matters at Qantas.

You do realise you can have different views on different issues right? It's not all about being part of team conservative or team liberal. You can be a conservative on every other issue but still support gay marriage (and subsequently not be a hypocrite).

You are confusing correlation with causation. I'd say scientific progress came about in spite of Christianity rather than because of it as you are alluding.

There wouldn't have been anything like the amount of scientific progress without the knowledge retained by the Christian church during the dark ages, nor the education they provided, or universities they founded after it. For a long period the Catholic church was the world's biggest sponsor of scientific research. Sounds like causation to me! That one is a pretty long debate to get into though.

One of the strengths of modern Christianity as a religion is the extent to which it permits believers to embrace reason and science. Hence the contribution to scientific progress and arguably a key reason why the Christian world developed so rapidly post Renaissance.

Please, continue with the generalising, I like being told I am brainless and fresh out of uni and that I am one of those who religiously vilify Christians.

You're the exception to the rule right

Haha.. and this is the depth of historical knowledge of your garden variety Australian athiest.

PS. I said before that it was more disqualifying to be an Athiest than a Muslim for US President.. its actually about even.

You have no idea whether I'm atheist, agnostic, calathumpian......... Perhaps I should have finished the sentence after the fifth word to be entirely accurate.

I see why you would entirely evade my question but doing it in such an immature fashion merely highlights those attempts to circumvent it.

So I ask you again, do you believe the Bible is historically accurate as you claim Christianity has been the ".....repository of history....." for last 1000 years. Not difficult even for you. A simple yes or no will suffice.

There wouldn't have been anything like the amount of scientific progress without the knowledge retained by the Christian church during the dark ages, nor the education they provided, or universities they founded after it. For a long period the Catholic church was the world's biggest sponsor of scientific research. Sounds like causation to me! That one is a pretty long debate to get into though.

The problem is you are equating the significant power and monopolization of knowledge that the church wielded as a cause of scientific progress rather than a hindrance to it. Yes maybe the church did found some universities and sponsor some scientific research. But if that power and knowledge was not monopolised, scientific progress would arguably have been expedited.

One of the strengths of modern Christianity as a religion is the extent to which it permits believers to embrace reason and science. Hence the contribution to scientific progress and arguably a key reason why the Christian world developed so rapidly post Renaissance.

Again that is not causation. The fact that Christianity is possibly more accepting of science and reason than other religions is not a cause of said scientific development and reason. If anything it shows my point that science and reason develop in spite of religion than because of it.

Not to mention the first major production from the printing press was the Bible.

Whilst the first or second text off the press after the Bible was a commentary on papal liturgy...

The myth of a 'secular Renaissance' is Dan Brown history. The idea was concocted in the mid-19th.

Last edited:
You do realise you can have different views on different issues right? It's not all about being part of team conservative or team liberal. You can be a conservative on every other issue but still support gay marriage (and subsequently not be a hypocrite).
Have a look at the key term he uses being equality and how Qantas/him want gays to be treated fairly and respectfully in this country and under the law.

These same principals of fairness and equality however didn't apply to workers at Qantas thus why he's a hypocrite.

Have a look at the key term he uses being equality and how Qantas/him want gays to be treated fairly and respectfully in this country and under the law.

These same principals of fairness and equality however didn't apply to workers at Qantas thus why he's a hypocrite.
So you're in favour of reducing or capping CEO wages, stronger union roles in the workplace, a higher minimum wage, less casualisation, and stronger protections against unfair dismissal?

So you're in favour of reducing or capping CEO wages, stronger union roles in the workplace, a higher minimum wage, less casualisation, and stronger protections against unfair dismissal?

Its a smokescreen. Use the industrial dispute to point out Joyce's hypocrisy (which he may actually have a point on) and discredit him regarding the gay marriage debate in this thread, then you can bet in another thread he pivots to railing against high wages, unionisation of the workplace, workplace regulation etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strawman. My opinion has no relevance whatsoever to the hypocritical actions of Joyce. Utter desperation from you Kidd vicious.

Strawman. My opinion has no relevance whatsoever to the hypocritical actions of Joyce. Utter desperation from you Kidd vicious.
:)

Actually it was you who raised the social liberal/economic conservative split as a hypocrisy.

You're clearly one of the Dey Took Er Jobs legion who will vote for any moneyed interest that screams "Hey look...gays/muslims/blacks!" so by you're own logic, you're a hypocrite.

Regardless of Joyce's alleged hypocrisy, is his point/stance on gay marriage one you agree with or not?

Hard not to come to the conclusion that you are using the hypocrisy argument to attempt to discredit the actual message of marriage equality rather than it being some moral stand against Joyce's hypocritical treatment of his workers.

OMG!

Do you actually believe this?

The 'Church' has fought & killed for political power & social control through history. They killed heretics who didnt slavishly support church doctrine. Just ask Galileo about his 'heresy'. Darwinism wasn't wonderfully embraced by the Church at that time.

Science has struggled through despite the power of the church. They may not say too much now without it being exposed for what they are. Just like the child abuse scandal, they'd be found out for what they are.

Its amazing how the church is changing to include modern astrology. All Gods work, even Evolution itself. Then of course we have the myriad of religious brands who all claim the truth.

Bloody Cynics.

One example out of literally countless lack of examples.
Trying to get my head around this one.

I suppose there is a countable number of examples of anything and an infinite lack of examples.

Trying to get my head around this one.

I suppose there is a countable number of examples of anything and an infinite lack of examples.

Again I know what I meant but I could have phrased it much better

Can you name one argument against gay marriage that isnt rooted in the homophobic belief that gay people are unsuited or undeserving of the choice to marry?

I can only think of one; the belief that marriage as a concept needs to be eliminated. But every other argument against it is rooted in homophobia.

I have always been bemused as to why the gay community wants to be part of what is essentially a religious tradition when said religions openly condemn and exclude them.

How could one not be (assuming you mean Unions that are not corrupt and work collaboratively, and that CEOs are renunerated fairly for their responsibilities).

I have always been bemused as to why the gay community wants to be part of what is essentially a religious tradition when said religions openly condemn and exclude them.
It is a religious tradition, sure. But that is just the church wedding side of it. Marriage was originally invented to ensure assets passed between generations.

The churches got in on the act to ensure these unions had their blessing: that is, to control who could be married. To ensure the children would be brought up in the traditions of their church, ensuring the churches survival into the future. There's no divine ownership of the tradition, it's all about the business of making babies for the church, to show up and put money in the plate, to pay for places at Church schools. It's been a great business model for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back