Roast Margettes gotta go!

Remove this Banner Ad

How did he overturn the decision? I thought the goal umpire called it as a goal and then it went to review to see which side of the post it went (which is just ridiculous btw).

The goal umpire originally signaled a behind and then when he asked for the review it went up as umpires call was a goal. Something happened to make him change his mind.

I say he’s ‘average’ at his job (explains why he has had such a long career without hitting great heights) AND is also a cheat (explains his free kick record against Freo and also the multitude of non paid frees in favour of Freo that don’t make the stats).
With the covid hub in Perth the AFL will not send umpires from the east so we are going to be stuck with Margetts for a few more weeks. Plus the AFL reluctance to have him umpire west coast games means he is likely to be assigned freo games for the near future.
Why cant he do Hawks vs Blues instead of doing his 6th game of ours this season?

From memory AFL umpires in their weekly game reviews are "allowed" three errors per game. That includes incorrect decisions and non calls. If they have more they are usually dropped or counselled and asked to explain some of their decisions.

I'm just not sure how well policed this is.

From memory AFL umpires in their weekly game reviews are "allowed" three errors per game. That includes incorrect decisions and non calls. If they have more they are usually dropped or counselled and asked to explain some of their decisions.

I'm just not sure how well policed this is.
Obviously not pushed by us

I say he’s ‘average’ at his job (explains why he has had such a long career without hitting great heights) AND is also a cheat (explains his free kick record against Freo and also the multitude of non paid frees in favour of Freo that don’t make the stats).
What is his free kick record against Freo?

The goal umpire originally signaled a behind and then when he asked for the review it went up as umpires call was a goal. Something happened to make him change his mind.

I guarantee it wasn’t Margetts. It looked like the ump made a mistake by patting his chest because when Margetts asked him what his decision was, he said I think it’s a goal

Here after reading something in the rumours board...
How did he overturn the decision? I thought the goal umpire called it as a goal and then it went to review to see which side of the post it went (which is just ridiculous btw).

Yeah, although the goal umpire made the signal normally used for behinds he went to the centre of the goal line rather than the nearest point to signal, which you only do if you're calling a goal, and he soft signaled goal to the review. As for not being able to tell which side of the post it passed, doing that s**t in those wet conditions can be a real prick, and he was on the line to see if it gets touched, rather than behind the flight to see if it hits the post. Probably made the wrong call on his positioning more than anything else.

Here after reading something in the rumours board...

Yeah, although the goal umpire made the signal normally used for behinds he went to the centre of the goal line rather than the nearest point to signal, which you only do if you're calling a goal, and he soft signaled goal to the review. As for not being able to tell which side of the post it passed, doing that sh*t in those wet conditions can be a real prick, and he was on the line to see if it gets touched, rather than behind the flight to see if it hits the post. Probably made the wrong call on his positioning more than anything else.
I think they go to the middle of the line if they are asking for a review. Otherwise, I broadly agree. At the ground it felt like he forgot what the goals signal was, which is understandable considering the plethora of points he'd had to call before that time.

I think they go to the middle of the line if they are asking for a review. Otherwise, I broadly agree. At the ground it felt like he forgot what the goals signal was, which is understandable considering the plethora of points he'd had to call before that time.
If you noticed, goal umpires don’t go to the middle anymore to single a goal. They just do it immediately next to the lost. Weird, going back to 90s roots. Quite like the suspense the goal umpire walking slowing to the middle and signalling the goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's probably been mentioned already on this thread, but the fact that Margette's wife sits on the West Coast Board means he should never umpire a Derby again. That is a blatant conflict of interest. Mrs M has been a slime board member for many years.
I thought he was divorced?

Those kind of stats s**t me because the thing that pisses people off the most is the free-kicks that are not paid. If that person could dig up that number then it would tell a different story.

He’s not controlling for home vs away. Of course we do worse in non-Margetts games, they are all away games

That's true, but on the surface it's not like we're getting shafted and winning in spite of the opposition getting a bunch of free kicks on us thanks to Margettes.

Those kind of stats sh*t me because the thing that pisses people off the most is the free-kicks that are not paid. If that person could dig up that number then it would tell a different story.

It's a huge problem with regards to the Margettes; if you read his replies there's simply no stats more in depth then a simplistic "Margettes free kicks for and against" and Margettes wins/losses vs non-Margettes wins/losses. Obviously it would be helpful if there were stats on Margettes non-calls and everything else.

But despite the lack of evidence it's become some huge article of faith that he has it out for us so we have a collective melt the second he's announced as an umpire for the weekend about how we're destined to lose. Despite the fact that our win/loss with him is better then without (correlation/causation problem aside.)

For a long time I was an advocate for Margettes not being as terrible as what everyone else was suggesting (for us at least). The last couple of seasons I have done a full 180 since he has reached a new level of horrible.

Margetts isn't a good umpire by any stretch but he's not the reason we lose games, we're the reason we lose games.
That's just horseshit you'd tell your kids to make them feel better.

There doesn't have to be only one reason we lose games. Injuries are one of those reasons. Bad coaching might be another. Gameplan not up to it. One or two players letting us down. Lack of skilled players another one. And yes - umpiring.
Combinations of any and all.

"We're the reason we lose games " is a nothing statement.

That's just horseshit you'd tell your kids to make them feel better.

There doesn't have to be only one reason we lose games. Injuries are one of those reasons. Bad coaching might be another. Gameplan not up to it. One or two players letting us down. Lack of skilled players another one. And yes - umpiring.
Combinations of any and all.

"We're the reason we lose games " is a nothing statement.

I also dislike the 'good teams overcome umpiring' platitude.

Well great, but what about when you're facing another good team who aren't having to overcome the umps, a la us in the 2013 grand final. Why should you have to be better than that team plus the umpires.

Wasn’t too bad tonight I thought. Missed a deadset 50m that should have been a shot on goal and a few other non-calls, but actually awarded us two frees as the non-controlling ump. Still a campaigner though of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back