Mark Bickley The Newsreader

Remove this Banner Ad

crowsfan

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2002
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Did anyone else catch Bicks tonight on the news on Channel 9?? He did the sports news and did a pretty good job too. He seemed a tad nervous, but that's understandable though. Newsreading as a possible new career prospect after next year maybe??

Originally posted by crowsfan
Did anyone else catch Bicks tonight on the news on Channel 9?? He did the sports news and did a pretty good job too. He seemed a tad nervous, but that's understandable though. Newsreading as a possible new career prospect after next year maybe??

Yep, agree with everyone else. Bicks nearly stuffed up at the beginning he was so nervous, but by the end he was running smoothly. He comes across well on TV so I think he has a future. Kym Dillon is on leave for 5 weeks I think, so it gives a reasonable opportunity to trial Mark. I like Kym Dillon but I think his time is running out as he has already been eased out on weeknights by Brayshaw.

He was terrible. But not as bad as Pat Mickan.
It was like he was in that CAFHS ad. with David Brown all over again. He's taken a job a trained/qualified journo should be doing!

Originally posted by Dogwatcher
It was like he was in that CAFHS ad. with David Brown all over again. He's taken a job a trained/qualified journo should be doing!
He wasn't brilliant, but that is a little rough. Most other sports readers are ex-sportsman too - ie. Dillon, Brayshaw, Abernathy, Dittmar - Aiston being the exception.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
He wasn't brilliant, but that is a little rough. Most other sports readers are ex-sportsman too - ie. Dillon, Brayshaw, Abernathy, Dittmar - Aiston being the exception.

I thought Bickley was nowhere near up to say Dillon's standard. Bickley was way to stiff & stilted.

However, Bickley does OK on radio, and I think nerves may have got the better of him. I also seem to remember Dillon and others also being very stiff & nervous when they first started on television - so such a performance may well be par for the course.

Originally posted by ok.crows
I thought Bickley was nowhere near up to say Dillon's standard. Bickley was way to stiff & stilted.

Agreed. He was horrible. Looked like he was in a coma.

Sports newsreader = trained/qualified journo? :confused: :confused:

Oy, you lot! Very harsh, some of you. Of course he'd be nervous for the first time. Cut him some slack!

I thought he did very well, and wish him the best for the next few weeks.

Originally posted by napsyd
Sports newsreader = trained/qualified journo? :confused: :confused:

Did he study the journalism course?
I know tonnes of people in the industry who could walk on and do the job properly first time up. Why should we put up with a stilted performance just because he's a loved sportsman?
I don't have a problem with sportspeople getting jobs like this, as long as they've done the hard yards like everyone else has - Brayshaw and Abernethy for example.
AFL footballers get enough in life without taking up plum jobs like this.
We don't see media stars getting a game for the Crows just because they have the right connections and if they did we wouldn't put up with a pathetic performance like Bickley's on Sunday night.
Okay, fine he might turn out to be a good sportsreader...eventually... but why put him on when he's obviously not ready yet.
They wouldn't even put up with a performance like that on country television.

Re: Re: Mark Bickley The Newsreader

Originally posted by macca23
Bicks nearly stuffed up at the beginning he was so nervous, but by the end he was running smoothly.

He'll be nervous too when he takes the field against Port Adelaide and somehow I don't think he'll be running smoothly at the end.

Did he study the journalism course?
I know tonnes of people in the industry who could walk on and do the job properly first time up. Why should we put up with a stilted performance just because he's a loved sportsman?
I don't have a problem with sportspeople getting jobs like this, as long as they've done the hard yards like everyone else has - Brayshaw and Abernethy for example.
AFL footballers get enough in life without taking up plum jobs like this.
We don't see media stars getting a game for the Crows just because they have the right connections and if they did we wouldn't put up with a pathetic performance like Bickley's on Sunday night.
Okay, fine he might turn out to be a good sportsreader...eventually... but why put him on when he's obviously not ready yet.
They wouldn't even put up with a performance like that on country television.

I was really just wondering how many sports newsreaders are qualified journos. Not many I'd guess.

On commercial TV, public popularity is everything. Skill, knowledge and education mean very little.

Yes, I do see the irony of associating popularity with Bickley, but Crows fans love him at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Mark Bickley The Newsreader

Originally posted by Eddie Woloschek
He'll be nervous too when he takes the field against Port Adelaide and somehow I don't think he'll be running smoothly at the end.

He took his punishment as he should have. Did the crime and did the time. I very much doubt that the Powder players would rather be watching from the boundary as their punishment than playing footy after that game. That's up to them, but I do give them credit for more brains than some of their supporters who forget that the SANFL team from whose bowels they are spawned have had some of the greatest feral assassins ever amongst their ranks.

Time to move along. You sound like the bloody kiwis who still harp their guts out about the under-arm incident. Sheesh!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Bickley The Newsreader

but I do give them credit for more brains than some of their supporters who forget that the SANFL team from whose bowels they are spawned have had some of the greatest feral assassins ever amongst their ranks.

So because weve had a couple of thugs (mind you, which every team has had) we arent allowed to pass comment on the incident??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Bickley The Newsreader

Originally posted by Macca19
So because weve had a couple of thugs (mind you, which every team has had) we arent allowed to pass comment on the incident??

Of course you are, and of course you have. Many many times. However, like the under-arm incident, continuous self-righteous squealing starts to wear thin after a time. Time for everyone to move on.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Bickley The Newsreader

Of course you are, and of course you have. Many many times. However, like the under-arm incident, continuous self-righteous squealing starts to wear thin after a time. Time for everyone to move on.

And the majority of people have. But its a fair point that people reckon there will be a lot of niggle in the next Showdown that Bickley plays in. Im 100% certain that no Port player will come out and deck him as a payback. But its most likely he will be niggled a lot and it will be a very physical match.

Thats just what i reckons gonna happen tho.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Bickley The Newsreader

Originally posted by Macca19
And the majority of people have. But its a fair point that people reckon there will be a lot of niggle in the next Showdown that Bickley plays in. Im 100% certain that no Port player will come out and deck him as a payback. But its most likely he will be niggled a lot and it will be a very physical match.

Thats just what i reckons gonna happen tho.

No doubt about the niggle - that will be there and Bicks will cop some words alright. But that's where that will end, because he will cop it sweet. As for the physical side of it, that's dead set guaranteed because that's the way Showdowns always have been and always will be (and always should be).

Apparently a lot of damage between Bicks and the Power players was repaired on the Irish trip.

So there will be niggling, but not as malicious as previously expected.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mark Bickley The Newsreader

No doubt about the niggle - that will be there and Bicks will cop some words alright. But that's where that will end, because he will cop it sweet. As for the physical side of it, that's dead set guaranteed because that's the way Showdowns always have been and always will be (and always should be).

Nah - the real sledging will occur when he gets to play in the next Slowdown!!

;-Dzm

Bicks

I was eating my dinner last night, not really paying much attention, when I heard a voice I recognised. I turned to see Bicks on the TV doing the news! I think he did a really good job and he looked very handsome aswell. He was nervous, but I think we all would be in that position. He will get better. I reckon a few Powder supporters will be a bit miffed though, after all this is not Bick's first foray into television. He also does the Postcards program. Makes me laugh though, you wouldn't see any Powder players doing the news........you need to be able to read to do it!

k
xx

Re: Bicks

Originally posted by MarksGirl-kbcrowgirl
. Makes me laugh though, you wouldn't see any Powder players doing the news........you need to be able to read to do it!

k
xx

Could you imagine Tredrae standing up trying to read the news ? they would'nt be able to get his head down from the clouds,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back