Toast Mark Blicavs - 150 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

A milestone game that feels like it's snuck up - it also shows the durability of Blicavs when you consider that he played his first game in 2013 and he's played a minimum of 20 games each season since.

2 Carji's to date, contracted through to 2023 & not long turned 28 - not a bad effort for a Category B Rookie who hadn't played football since junior days until he joined the club in 2012.

And in another piece of symmetry, game #1 was at the MCG with a 93 to 86 win over Hawthorn; this weekend we head back to the same venue against the same team for the milestone match.

One of the more amazing stories in modern footy is our Blitz.

To come from where he did, to play as much footy as he has, and to be now acknowledged as a leading player (not only at his own club, but across the comp) is a simply astounding effort.

Clearly loves the club for the opportunity they have given him, and never shirks the hard work required to be a really notable team player. Plays any role the club asks, and does it without minimum fuss and a positive attitude. His recent starring role as a chop out ruck option against the Craas only highlighted this quality even further for mine.

With hindsight, an absolutely inspired pick from Wells (yet again). And a player whose durability and elite fitness could see him go on to play quite a few more seasons yet.

Has anyone worn the #46 better as their career guernsey number in the history of the AFL/VFL? Chris Mew played #46 at the Hawks for his first four seasons. Apart from that, I think Blitz has the rest of the eligible field covered by a stretch.

Onya, Blitzy. Embarrassing conventional footy wisdom (and the unimpressed on this board) for seven seasons and counting...

Good running patterns racks up 150....

Fair effort

Full credit to him and his work ethic, ability and desire to learn and execute the skills taught to him. He's become one of the best KPD in the gig - and does a decent job as a chop out ruckman on occasion.

oh.. and 2 x Carji winner.

Really fair effort from a B class rookie.

Really really fair effort.

GO Catters

When he hangs up his boots I wonder how Blicavs will be remembered? A very good, ordinary player? A bee’s nose short of elite? A battler? The most versatile footballer to wear the blue and white hoops?

When he hangs up his boots I wonder how Blicavs will be remembered? A very good, ordinary player? A bee’s nose short of elite? A battler? The most versatile footballer to wear the blue and white hoops?

How do we all remember Milburn? And is Blitz better than him? I say no at this stage... unfortunately it seems like Dasher has faded away in Geelong and AFL circles, i thought he was a genuine gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we all remember Milburn? And is Blitz better than him? I say no at this stage... unfortunately it seems like Dasher has faded away in Geelong and AFL circles, i thought he was a genuine gun.
Milburn was a gun. I doubt Blitz can reach that level of consistency and longevity.

Apart from the obvious, that they are/were playing different roles, there is still time for the Blicavs legend to rise.
Let's reassess after another 142 games.
I'm not going to discount him from potentially playing that many more games - barring unforeseen injury, I can see him re-signing beyond his current contract ending in 2023, and he'll play 250+ games for this club

Phenomenal effort and surely he will become the most capped Category B rookie by the time his career ends

I'm not going to discount him from potentially playing that many more games - barring unforeseen injury, I can see him re-signing beyond his current contract ending in 2023, and he'll play 250+ games for this club

Phenomenal effort and surely he will become the most capped Category B rookie by the time his career ends
He hasn't missed many games.
And Dasher played his 150 in Round 8 of 2005. His legend was still to be written by then.

Wasn't meant to turn this into Dasher V Blitz was just thinking about the "where will Blitz be viewed when its all said and done" question. Obviously the superstars will live on forever (Gaz, Scarlo, Stevie J etc) but even very good players get kind of forgotten about (Dasher, Kelly, Corey etc). Im sure there's a few guns from the 80's and 90's that don't get a mention anymore.

Anyway, Blitz is a gun and is one of the better stories in the AFL. Good luck in his 150th, he has shown how important he is to our current team whether its lockdown defender or spanner in the ruck. Love him.

Wasn't meant to turn this into Dasher V Blitz was just thinking about the "where will Blitz be viewed when its all said and done" question. Obviously the superstars will live on forever (Gaz, Scarlo, Stevie J etc) but even very good players get kind of forgotten about (Dasher, Kelly, Corey etc). Im sure there's a few guns from the 80's and 90's that don't get a mention anymore.

Anyway, Blitz is a gun and is one of the better stories in the AFL. Good luck in his 150th, he has shown how important he is to our current team whether its lockdown defender or spanner in the ruck. Love him.
It's good to compare, and I share your love!

To me right now when I think of Blicavs I think of a guy who lacks the genuine AFL aptitude and instincts but makes up for that with elite preparation and dedication to his role.
Above a good ordinary player, at times touching elite but probably the rung below.

We should leave some of the first few posts for Seeds and Partridge to deliver their heartfelt congrats. Believers from the beginning they were. :D

tenor.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back