Cyclone Larry

Senior List
Apr 25, 2007
G-Funk
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Inter Milan QPR
I think its time for Blicavs to spend some time back in the VFL.
As he is still developing as a player I think he would have fared better against the Hawks and the Power without him in the side.
He played a lot of games last year due to our tall stocks being all but wiped out but this year we are ok with rucks (so far) and his role in games this year has been pretty ineffective.
I'm not writing him off by any stretch, I think he will be a good versatile player.
And not a knee jerk post from a loss.
I just think that the 'experiment' has gone on a bit too long. Let him develop more in the VFL and play him in the seniors against the lesser sides.
Thoughts?

I am right on the fence.

Needs to develop into some role that he can grow in.

Right now, he seems to be insurance only. I think he is being stifled to develop in whatever role the club wants him to be in as he is being mr fix it in the ruck and playing at CHF as well in some cases.

And there is an equity principle. Every other young player learns their craft in the VFL and gets picked on form.

If Blizavs continues to run around with two fit ruckmen the MC is clogging the development of others.

He's a wingman - plain and simple. His running capacity should be used down the flanks from HB to HF - break lines, find space, plug gaps. When his skills pick-up, he will become extremely handy.

But he's shithouse in the ruck, and when Simpson is back, along with the other injured guys, with spots become tougher to fill, then he'll be a week-to-week proposition depending on form (as it should be).

Develop him into a CHB is the only option to making him a consistent AFL standard player. Playing on the key forwards who lead to the wing and run back like Riewoldt used to do in his prime would be perfect for him. He could in time play on Mayne, Gunston, Franklin, Cameron, Black, Darling etc. Rivers and Lonergan could play the stay at home key defensive spots and Taylor could swing back and forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy to leave it to messrs Scott, Caracella, Amos, O'Bree, Rahilly, Balme and Knights.:)
You're merely seconds away from being accused of believing the coaches are infallible. ;)

We definitely needed him without Simpson in the side; however if we persist with Walker up forward (and Walker looked decent), then with Simpson and McIntosh taking the key ruck duties then Walker can act as support as required.
Blicavs at the moment doesn't have the smarts to play AFL level when we have so much talent at VFL level pushing for spots.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Got caught a few times but other than that I thought it was probably his best game for the year. That goal was pretty nice.

Shouldn't play in the side when McIntosh and Simpson are both in. Was needed yesterday with Daws missing.
Who comes in instead and how does it make the team stronger, short and long-term?

Walker playing as a forward could support in as many ruck contests as Blicavs has been when both rucks are in the side.
i.e. zero ruck contests. With Simpson and HMac both in the side, HMac plays predominantly forward leaving no room for Walker. Blicavs plays other positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back