Opinion Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

Have not been a fan since his B&F winning year..has been medicre at best. However I am happy to eat a bit of humble pie if other forum members believe his backline play has been good..when I return from o/s I will watch him catefully and see if he warrants the hype. If paid the right amount 5 year contract is ok coz he is not the type other clubs look at.

Have not been a fan since his B&F winning year..has been medicre at best. However I am happy to eat a bit of humble pie if other forum members believe his backline play has been good..when I return from o/s I will watch him catefully and see if he warrants the hype. If paid the right amount 5 year contract is ok coz he is not the type other clubs look at.
I seriously spoke to a Tigers board member last Oct or Nov, and he said Blicavs was exactly the sort of player they'd love.

I seriously spoke to a Tigers board member last Oct or Nov, and he said Blicavs was exactly the sort of player they'd love.
A Tigers board member said the same thing to me 40 years ago..only wished I had gone. On the other hand Bliccas is set for life.

Selwood would have to be in 2nd place, behind Stewart.
Blicavs and Duncan might have edged past Kelly into 3rd & 4th places, however.
I reckon Kelly needs a rest.

After the bye is the perfect opportunity. Give him the week off, we have a soft opponent in the Bulldogs, he gets 3 weeks between games to rest up and hits the second half of the season fresh.

He looks to me like a player that has hit a bit of a wall, which is not unexpected for a first year player. Kelly in good shape will be a weapon at the back end of the season, we need to manage him now.

I reckon Kelly needs a rest.

After the bye is the perfect opportunity. Give him the week off, we have a soft opponent in the Bulldogs, he gets 3 weeks between games to rest up and hits the second half of the season fresh.

He looks to me like a player that has hit a bit of a wall, which is not unexpected for a first year player. Kelly in good shape will be a weapon at the back end of the season, we need to manage him now.
He is 24, not an 18 year old. And he has the break this weekend. Just silly making him sit out more weeks.

It’s more likely opposition teams putting more work into him than being tired.

He is 24, not an 18 year old. And he has the break this weekend. Just silly making him sit out more weeks.

It’s more likely opposition teams putting more work into him than being tired.
He is a first year player. Off the back of his first ever AFL preseason. Just because he is 24 doesn’t change that.

I don't mind the idea of giving Kelly an extra week off.
He can spend more time with his family in Perth, talk to the people most important to him about where they see his football career going.

I think he'll repay the faith enormously in the back half of the year, if we can give him some additional freedom.

What is the type that other clubs look at? All clubs have particular and sometimes very specific needs. Blicavs is doing really well in his 'found' roll plus he's more than servicable in makeshift roles. His height and endurance would make him pretty useful to most clubs I'd have thought. His monetary worth would vary as well depending on particular needs.

You'll see a marked improvement when you see him live. He's on his way to becoming a co-leader in the backline IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And in comparison to an underage competition probably significantly better.
Overlooked in 5 drafts, I’m guessing he hasn’t been the hardest trainer getting around coz he certainly has the ability. Looks tired to me too.

And in comparison to an underage competition probably significantly better.
I wouldn't assume that.

Most guys at WAFL level have jobs and footy is a side gig. Preseason/in-season training would be geared totally towards getting them through a WAFL season successfully.
Elite U18 programs have preseason/in-season training geared towards getting the best players ready for a potential AFL career.

If Kelly was aiming for an AFL career at age 22/23 when out of the AFL system, he would likely have had to devise any program on his own.

However I am happy to eat a bit of humble pie if other forum members believe his backline play has been good
he has become seriously good, really found the spot that works for him.

How many wafl pre-seasons? It’s not like he is a kid straight out of the tac cup.
Wil he fare better than a TAC cup kid... yeah

But the step up from all minor leagues to AFL is taxing on anyone making that step up. He needs a rest. Im sure the bye week is enough but id expect another one managed for him before seasons end. And yes, the oppo teams are putting work into him.

Go Catters

I wouldn't assume that.

Most guys at WAFL level have jobs and footy is a side gig. Preseason/in-season training would be geared totally towards getting them through a WAFL season successfully.
Elite U18 programs have preseason/in-season training geared towards getting the best players ready for a potential AFL career.

If Kelly was aiming for an AFL career at age 22/23 when out of the AFL system, he would likely have had to devise any program on his own.
He was working full-time as an apprentice electrician, so three days a week, with footy training, he was doing 14-hour days, plus he was playing at weekends.
I doubt whether he was able to do much in the way of an extra program on the other 3 days; he may even have had trade school as well, for all I know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back