Opinion Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

It was funny to watch, and if you go back and watch the game again you'll see the passage I was referring to.

I can't remember who it was that fell over, but they'd got the ball and had braced themselves to get smashed by Hawthorn players, next thing he knew he had a paddock to run into, but the wheels were already spinning and down he went lol.
:D

there will be some stout chests in this thread..

And some flag waving apologists.

Its always the same way.

Best thing is that GFC have a player that is devoted to the club, that is an exceptional talent, 24 years old with 6-7 really good years in front of him that cost us NOTHING other than development time and effort.

Congratulations Blitz.

GO Catters
"Stout chests" lol

It was funny to watch, and if you go back and watch the game again you'll see the passage I was referring to.

I can't remember who it was that fell over, but they'd got the ball and had braced themselves to get smashed by Hawthorn players, next thing he knew he had a paddock to run into, but the wheels were already spinning and down he went lol.
Does Anyone happen to have a clip of this tried searching but came up empty.

First saw Blitz in a pre-season game against Collingwood at Kardinia Park.
I specifically went there to watch Blitz play after reading about him.
Recall he was a relentless running machine going from end to end linking up play
One moment he was in the ruck at HB, next play he was taking a mark in the goal square.
Instantly liked what I saw
I had no doubt a former basket baller would adapt to playing football
Blitz deserves special credit as he has been an outstanding learner.
Watching him improve so rapidly has been a delight

Winning the Carji.. Well done Blitz

I have noticed that quite a few former basketball players have adapted well to football
Most have excellent ball handling / ball use skills.. eg. Scott Pendlebury
Basketball helps develop co-ordination and peripheral vision and relies on smart ball use in tight spaces.
I have often advocated that a great ruckman can be found playing basketball in the USA
Just think, Michael Jordan... built like Hawkins moves like Gazza
I'm keeping an interest in Jason Holmes at St Kilda. hope he makes it.

Sensational achievement for the young man , interestingly I think he's only just begun and will get even better once he is able to settle into the utility role and not pinch hit in ther ruck.
My son and were converts from his first NAB game over here. From his first contest where he jumped over the top of 211 , clearing him by a metre or so - to when he covered the ground effortlessly with those huge strides and never seemed to tire. Whilst he was very raw then and clearly just an athlete at that stage I had a good feeling - having watched his father Andy play ball for the Boomers and with his mum and sister being elite as well.

His work ethic and appetite for learning will stand him in good stead , what a great pickup he's been so far :thumbsu::thumbsu:

there will be some stout chests in this thread..

And some flag waving apologists.

Its always the same way.

Best thing is that GFC have a player that is devoted to the club, that is an exceptional talent, 24 years old with 6-7 really good years in front of him that cost us NOTHING other than development time and effort.

Congratulations Blitz.

GO Catters

MMMMMM Stout :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its time for Blicavs to go back to the vfl and work on a few things.

He's getting caught with the ball too many time recently with his decision making and slow response proving costly. His last 7 weeks only averaging 14 disposals a game and is not having much effect on the game. We needed him to take the next step this year also providing a marking target coming out the back line with he failed to do.

With S.Selwood to come in its a perfect time to send Blicavs back and see if Scooter can produce something more than what Blicavs has this year. Finals time the level goes up a notch and l reckon Scooter will be the best choice.

It's not Blicavs' fault our coach is obsessed in playing the tallest side ever assembled in VFL/AFL history.
Of course he's playing like a headless chook at the minute.

He's either a backup ruck to Smith or he's a key defender/forward. He's a poor mans Caddy as a midfielder and that's to be expected. The coach needs to drop Stanley or Lonergan or play him forward and drop a small (Murdoch) to the VFL.

As we seem to have a shedload of Midfielders and that 3rd man up thing is getting a bit predictable, it may be that Blicavs would me more suited to role as a tall defender. Since we have too many of them ATM, I am at a loss as to where he should play.
'Second' ruck is my best guess.He doesnt need to rest as much as others so where to put him on the ground when he isn't rucking is the problem.
He has clearly lost confidence in his kicking, and the instinctive stuff he did last season has deserted him.

It's not Blicavs' fault our coach is obsessed in playing the tallest side ever assembled in VFL/AFL history.
Of course he's playing like a headless chook at the minute.

He's either a backup ruck to Smith or he's a key defender/forward. He's a poor mans Caddy as a midfielder and that's to be expected. The coach needs to drop Stanley or Lonergan or play him forward and drop a small (Murdoch) to the VFL.
No he is a star midfielder. The game against pendlebury last year. Remember that game? He had fifty touches that night and was like a hybrid superman crossed with a praying mantis. I saw him literally eat a football that night with one gulp.

Last edited:
No he is a star midfielder. The game against pendlebury last year. Remember that game? He had fifty touches that night and was like a hybrid superman crossed with a praying mantis. I saw him literally eat a football that night with one gulp.
Maybe he is constipated :p Needs to chew more..

Too much focus on tagging and not enough hunting the ball and using his main weapon which is obviously his engine. Needs to be able to roam a bit more and I feel he will have more impact on games. If he's doing a defensive job each week can't really expect him to replicate last years Carji form.

Just leave him as a midfielder, that's his best position. He hardly spent time in the centre square going by the minutes he played last game. It's not like we have so many midfielders at the moment with caddy injured. Leave him in the centre square. He's been a tackling machine this year. It's not like he can't recapture some of his good footy like the start of the year which was playing mainly as a mid. Don't need to get reactionary after a couple of average games.

Seriously? That's the level of sarcasm directed at our reigning b&F winner.

Good to see your vitriol for Blicavs didn't take long to return this year. How long you been waiting to sink the boots in? Since he had Carji draped around his neck???

Seriously? That's the level of sarcasm directed at our reigning b&F winner.

Good to see your vitriol for Blicavs didn't take long to return this year. How long you been waiting to sink the boots in? Since he had Carji draped around his neck???
wouldnt of returned if he lived up to even a quarter of preseason expectations. And the sarcasm isn't directed at blicavs. It's directed at .... Well I will let you work that out.

And please don't get on a high horse about sarcasm. How many sarcastic gifs have you posted on here in your 30,000 posts?

wouldnt of returned if he lived up to even a quarter of preseason expectations. And the sarcasm isn't directed at blicavs. It's directed at .... Well I will let you work that out.
I know whom it was directed at. Still a s**t post with predictable likes....

Been a lot of shot posting around Blicavs of late. But that's par for the course when people moronically suggest he should be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back