Opinion Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

200.gif

No Blitz bashers today ?
It was his second best game for the year and he still wasn't in the top five mids on the ground and not even close to the votes. Just shows how bad he has been this year. Liked those two contested marks though.

He was much better today. I've been a bit critical of him at times this year but he had a great game. Some of his third man up hitouts were unreal. Well done to him.
Was very good today. Used it well and got plenty of it.
Kinda wish he'd stop with the third ups though, doesn't often actually go to our advantage.
Other than that (which is a nit pick) he was outstanding.
His third man taps are both unreal but don't often go to our advantage. I'm confused.

He seemed to have some direct instructions today. Including trying to negate the influence of Gawn. I think when he doesn't have a direct job or role he can get lost. As he doesn't have a position or he does but it can change. And he's still newish to afl.
He's had a poor season but when he plays well like last year he adds something not many others can. No doubt he will continue to get better.
He got better very quickly and now he has to see how he can improve from the positio he's at. Cats had a poor year last year but still he's a Carji medalist. He should look at Adam Goodes or Pavlich and how they were able to continue to adapt their game.

He seemed to have some direct instructions today. Including trying to negate the influence of Gawn. I think when he doesn't have a direct job or role he can get lost. As he doesn't have a position or he does but it can change. And he's still newish to afl.
He's had a poor season but when he plays well like last year he adds something not many others can. No doubt he will continue to get better.
He got better very quickly and now he has to see how he can improve from the positio he's at. Cats had a poor year last year but still he's a Carji medalist. He should look at Adam Goodes or Pavlich and how they were able to continue to adapt their game.
It was naive and unrealistic for us to expect further improvement given his rapid progress to date.

Watching Majak Daw tonight take a fantastic mark then follow it up by kicking into the man on the mark..... its a reminder of how far he has come when others progress has been a lot less dramatic.
Role after role , he has been different roles and the one this year is different again. The club obviously has been happy even if his stats have been down.

I don't think the Blitz was as good this year as he was last year, but after three years of incredible growth you had to expect him to plateau at some point. He was patchy this season, sometimes making silly blunders and other times showing flashes of brilliance. I can see why some dislike him as his his blunders can stick out, but overall I think he's still in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not doubting the coaches but Blitz had a very ordinary year, was a shadow of last season form, him finishing 6th, don't know if that's a real worry, scratching my head with that one.

I think he's still in our best 22.

Of course he is. Don't get side tracked by the reactionaries Blakey...agree he didn't have as good a season as last year, but he, as you rightly say well inside our best 22.

Gee the Guthrie haters must have cursed the coaches at the half way mark in the count, with Guthrie ahead at that stage.

Of course, he's a total waste of space. :rolleyes::rolleyes: .. and what do the coaches know anyway.:cool:

2015 stats -
Disposals: 18.2
Marks: 4.6
Tackles: 6
Hitouts: 16.3

2016 stats -
Disposals: 17.8
Marks: 4.2
Tackles: 5.8
Hitouts: 8.1

Obviously his hitout stats have halved due to spending less time in the ruck, but the changes in other key areas do not indicate a player that was a shadow of himself last year, but a player who has been consistent in those areas across consecutive seasons. He also kicked more goals this year than his previous 2 seasons and equal with his first season.

I think sometimes our expectations impact the reality too much, and that actually what is happening and how a player is performing isn't as bad as some would want us to believe.

2015 stats -

2016 stats -

Obviously his hitout stats have halved due to spending less time in the ruck, but the changes in other key areas do not indicate a player that was a shadow of himself last year, but a player who has been consistent in those areas across consecutive seasons. He also kicked more goals this year than his previous 2 seasons and equal with his first season.

I think sometimes our expectations impact the reality too much, and that actually what is happening and how a player is performing isn't as bad as some would want us to believe.
Definitely one of our best 22 but you can't be putting up those stats just to prove a point. In 2015 he had to shoulder a lot more to earn those stats, in 2016 he wouldn't of had anywhere near the attention considering who we included, you may not but i am a believer of that saying horses for courses.

The moment when some people realise that Blitz was a little bit better than they thought...

If you listen carefully you can hear the sound of their jaws hitting the ground, then the cogs in the brain slowly coming to the realisation.... he wasn't as bad as I thought :oops:

Not doubting the coaches but Blitz had a very ordinary year, was a shadow of last season form, him finishing 6th, don't know if that's a real worry, scratching my head with that one.

He may well have been our 6th best player for the year. It speaks volumes for the drop off in quality and depth of the side more than anything.

2015 stats -

2016 stats -

Like Blitz but that's not good enough for a midfielder. (Except the tackles).
Wish we would just play one ruck next year and let Blitz be 2nd ruck.

Smith and Blitz ruck with Stanley permanent CHF.

That's the issue though.

1. Blicavs is way more comfortable playing second ruck. It doesn't necessarily suit what was our problem - winning hitouts and clearances (hence why Smith and Stanley were recruited in the first place).
2. Stanley is also way more comfortable playing second ruck. There's little evidence so far that he's capable of being a consistent key forward.

Both are certain to be in the team next year, so how to make it work will be...interesting.

But the coaches are useless and know nothing - it's the keyboard warriors that know it all...

I think it's pretty clear that he's playing his role within the team pretty well, considering how consistently complimentary our coaches are of him and his high B&F finishes in recent years. The question has always been whether it's reasonable for us to have higher hopes of his role than being a spare parts man, given the undeniable tools that he has at his disposal.

Geelong came up short in 2016, primarily because our players that are currently in their mid-20s, as a collective, weren't able to take the next step and we weren't able to unearth a genuine superstar or two out of the Duncan, Motlop, Guthrie, Caddy, Stanley, Blicavs group. Given his career trajectory up to 2015, it would have been pretty reasonable to expect Blicavs to be the likeliest of all to make that leap. And even Blicavs' biggest backers would concede that he wasn't a superstar in 2016, by any stretch.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back