News Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

Improving every week.

Senior list next year for him.

I was of the opinion we could convince him to stay Rookie etc but its becoming more apparent by the week he is becoming a unique find. He is just too valuable to mess around with. He is in our best 22 by what he brings , his skills are now to that level (Unbelievable) , who know where he will be in 2 years time , perhaps CHB.

Even if it burns a required player he must be listed now.

Agree.
HMac unlikely to prove his worth this season.
DS #1.
Blics #2
Or, West #2, Blics in as a utility.
Blics has to be best 22.
Just whether we can carry both DS & West.
Our last 2 wins have looked very impressive, and prior to that , our best wins have been v Swans, Ess, Rich. The common denominator in ALL those wins is BLICAVS.
And I'm a Simpson fan; problem solved imo. Just need big DS to enhance fitness, which requires ongoing game time. He should be given the same latitude that Blake and West have had, should his body hold up, ie consecutive hard work games.

That's the dilemma right there - "to West or not to West, that is the question"
Playing Ballroom as #2 enables us to play another runner- Varcoe anyone? West not needed.
On the other hand with Westy as #2 and Blics as a utility we won't drop off as much in the ruck when Dawson rests/is subbed.
Tricky one but if Dawson continues to impress and becomes fit enough to run out a final reckon Westy will be cutting up the oranges.:(

If we don't list him then I certain another team will be waiting to snatch him from our grasp. They can't do anything about it until the end of the season until they have a place available on the list anyway. But they can begin talking to him now and negotiating a contract with him.

I wrote that 14 weeks ago. If the facts change, I change my opinion. So I've changed my opinion. :thumbsu:
Yep, ditto. Facts have definitely changed, he is absolutely best 22....just so hard to know what best lineup will be as being able to squeeze Vardy in as well would be beneficial. Thought Blicavs rucked his best in the last quarter, getting confidence to leap high now.

I was of the opinion we could convince him to stay Rookie etc but its becoming more apparent by the week he is becoming a unique find. He is just too valuable to mess around with. He is in our best 22 by what he brings , his skills are now to that level (Unbelievable) , who know where he will be in 2 years time , perhaps CHB.

I've been making that point for a while.

Anyone who thinks we can keep him on the rookie list next year is being naïve and silly.

Gotta be elevated and will be.

That's the dilemma right there - "to West or not to West, that is the question"
Playing Ballroom as #2 enables us to play another runner- Varcoe anyone? West not needed.
On the other hand with Westy as #2 and Blics as a utility we won't drop off as much in the ruck when Dawson rests/is subbed.
Tricky one but if Dawson continues to impress and becomes fit enough to run out a final reckon Westy will be cutting up the oranges.:(

I tend to agree, but it depends on whether Dawson (or whoever is the first ruck) has the fitness to handle the majority of the ruck load.

The good news is that Blitz will be in the 22 either way as what he brings to the table is just becoming so good.

Been saying it from pretty much the outset that Blitz is a very very smart footballer.

But he could just about be the smartest footballer in the comp right now.

The things he does without the ball are unbelievable, some of which i've never seen any other player do with such instincts.

impresses me more every single week - thought he was excellent in the 1st quarter against the Hawks, and then stood up manfully when required to ruck out the whole last quarter.

tackles really well, good technique.

kicking has come along nicely with his confidence.

the thing I like best, apart from his insane running ability which almost gives us 18.5 men on the field, is his reflexes; he is very quick with the hand-eye co-ordination and as such gives us more 'inside' than any other ruckman on our list - also, his marking around the ground is very bloody good considering his relative inexperience.

impresses me more every single week - thought he was excellent in the 1st quarter against the Hawks, and then stood up manfully when required to ruck out the whole last quarter.

tackles really well, good technique.

kicking has come along nicely with his confidence.

the thing I like best, apart from his insane running ability which almost gives us 18.5 men on the field, is his reflexes; he is very quick with the hand-eye co-ordination and as such gives us more 'inside' than any other ruckman on our list - also, his marking around the ground is very bloody good considering his relative inexperience.

Agree with all of that, but I noticed his tackling in particular agin the Hawks.

There was one tackle on Puopolo from behind, where Blitz wrapped him up about torso-height.
Puopolo, as is his wont, started wriggling down and down and down and flinging his head around to milk a free.
Blitz, completely switched on, compensated by getting lower and lower and keeping the tackle below the shoulders.

Now, for a 6'6" to tackle a 5'0" guy like that shows a genuine appreciation for the art of tackling!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen as much of him (or the rest :mad: ) this year, but what I have seen is amazing. Very quick thinking, clearly quick learning, quick running. Quick sign him up.

If CS says he is best 22 then he's best 22 (spoken in best Bill Lawry-talking-about-Warnie voice). That being the case no longer a rookie.

This kid has amazing confidence in himself, and a good head on his shoulders.

With Menzel on LTI list and a guaranteed spot on the list, I can see him doing the right thing by the club and agreeing to a final rookie year. Particularly as he knows it could mean delisting a current (team)mate should he press for a spot on the senior list.

A handshake agreement of 1 more rookie year and a 4 year contract to follow should get it done.

Been saying it from pretty much the outset that Blitz is a very very smart footballer.

But he could just about be the smartest footballer in the comp right now.

The things he does without the ball are unbelievable, some of which i've never seen any other player do with such instincts.
Wut? lol

This kid has amazing confidence in himself, and a good head on his shoulders.

With Menzel on LTI list and a guaranteed spot on the list, I can see him doing the right thing by the club and agreeing to a final rookie year. Particularly as he knows it could mean delisting a current (team)mate should he press for a spot on the senior list.

A handshake agreement of 1 more rookie year and a 4 year contract to follow should get it done.
It's a romantic notion. But there's no way in hell I'd do that if I was him.

It's a romantic notion. But there's no way in hell I'd do that if I was him.

Yeah look it probably won't happen but who's to say if Blitz gets along well with a Cowan or Shroder or Walker and the club come to him with "we want this kid on our list but It can only happen if you continue as a rookie", who's to say it won't. Besides Blitz :p

I've been making that point for a while.

Anyone who thinks we can keep him on the rookie list next year is being naïve and silly.

Gotta be elevated and will be.

Rookie List

A rookie list player who retires is not eligible to be a free agent.

A first-year rookie not receiving a second-year rookie contract offer is considered a delisted player and therefore is an unrestricted free agent.

A first-year rookie not accepting a second-year rookie contract offer is not considered a delisted player and must nominate and go through the draft.

A second-year rookie not accepting a third-year rookie contract offer is considered a delisted player and therefore is an unrestricted free agent.

Technically Blicavs is a second year rookie.

If we only offered him a third year rookie contract he has the option open to decline that offer and walk as an unrestricted free agent.

It's not a situation for us to be cute in.

Yeah look it probably won't happen but who's to say if Blitz gets along well with a Cowan or Shroder or Walker and the club come to him with "we want this kid on our list but It can only happen if you continue as a rookie", who's to say it won't. Besides Blitz :p

I know but there are possible ramifications from both sides.

For Geelong.
What if Blitz has a nuts year in 2014? His price goes ballistic. And people start knocking on the door halfway through the year. Not good.

For Blitz.
What happens if he's on a one year contract and something happens that ends his career? Very worst case of course. The club aren't going to pay him 250k per year out of goodwill.

But most importantly, how much can you pay a rookie? I assume they can't give him 250k. So he'd have to play 2014 for almost 150k less than he is worth.

If the club gives him a 4 year deal worth 250k per year tomorrow do you know what that means to his life? He can just walk straight into a bank and buy a property AND an investment property banked against that contract. It's huge stuff for a kid.

So again, if we just do a handshake, and he starts well in 2014 there is going to be plenty of dangerous attention coming from opposition clubs. He may stay on principle, but we'd pay for it.

Let's see what happens I guess.

Just listening to CS "On the couch" , seems to think like a few of us, perhaps being used as a 3rd ruck or even KeyBack down the track. Sounds good to me.

That's interesting. I threw up the possibility of Blicavs becoming a KPD in a post a week or two back. I'm not sure we would get the most out of him in a key defending role but this guys capabilities seem almost endless. Nice to have that up our sleeves anyway. With his tank he could be thrown down back if needed during the finals and still be able to take the rucking role in throw ins or stoppages. If we decide to go into finals with a similar defensive setup to Saturday night (ie without Rivers), then I think Blicavs has to play finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back