Coaching Staff Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Will present the Jock McHale Medal for 2023 - 4/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to play many debutants (Unsure on Hird but he didnt seem to pick many brand new players and didnt stick with them for too long)
I feel you're making far too much of this. Last year, 37 games between debutants Kommer, Merrett and Daniher alone, and games into Dalgleish, Hams, Kavanagh and O'Brien, none of whom have beaten down the door. In previous years he introduced and entrenched Heppell, Hibberd, Baguley and Crameri. Who else was available who was both ready and good enough?

- J.Merrett playing up the ground almost a wing position (played small forward under Hird with some defensive negating roles)
Continuing from the above, an extra pre-season might have had something to do with it. The same goes for the likes of Gleeson, while the absence of Crameri and Bellchambers makes it much easier to slot Ambrose in (as does his actually being on the list).

And this is where it gets complex. Hird has been promised his position back later in the year. Why would he let someone else coach 'his' team? If he did it would undermine his long term position as the senior coach. And what if he did step aside, what if Bomber then wanted to continue coaching. That will be a messy situation.
It's already been determined that Thompson will be senior coach for as far as this season takes the team. Hird will return to the box, but won't take the reins until Mad Monday has been and gone.

I honestly believe Bomber & Jimmy have a gentleman's agreement. I don't think Bomber would have taken on the job unless both parties were 100% clear of what will happen at the end of 2014.
I think you're right, which is why it would be such a classy move for Hirdy to leave bomber in the head coach role if we are flying and if Bomber wants to - jump behind him in the box for a season or two. I know this will never happen but would have immeasurable impact on our culture/perception.

This, this and this. I can't believe we are still discussing it.. and being played for fools by the media agenda again. Players know Hird is coming back, are happy with Hird coming back. Thompson is happy filling in, and I believe will stay next year.

But there's more drama if the media can sew the seed of doubt. So they do.

And you get twits like Tom Harley blurt out how better coached they are under Bomber, thankfully Matthews sensibly pointed out that we were actually pretty ******* good last year too, something that most people seem to have forgotten.

This, this and this. I can't believe we are still discussing it.. and being played for fools by the media agenda again.
Rines I don't think we are fools. The fact is that Thompson is a 2 time premiership coach who helped to build one of the best teams of the modern era. Regardless of what is said in the media, there will be Essendon fans who think Thompson is the best person to take us as head coach to our next premiership.

But there's more drama if the media can sew the seed of doubt. So they do.

And you get twits like Tom Harley blurt out how better coached they are under Bomber, thankfully Matthews sensibly pointed out that we were actually pretty ******* good last year too, something that most people seem to have forgotten.

Yeah.. loved Lethal kinda pointing out some home truths to flog Harley.. like the bombers were 13-3 last year.. so that bloke Hird can coach a bit too...

and "being played for a fool" is a saying... an idiom.. not calling anyone specifically a fool...

Yeah Thompson has been pretty clear and pretty consistent.. and has even stated that he doesn't like the line of questioning.. really doesn't see the point of it..

But they media want something to write about.. other than the fact that we are, on form, probably the second best team in the comp right now...

But they media want something to write about.. other than the fact that we are, on form, probably the second best team in the comp right now...
Well with no supplement saga to fill 10 pages of the paper every day, the 800 or so accredited football journalists need something to write about to keep them all in a job.

Sorry for intruding guys and i am not a huge Essendon fan,but what Mark Thompson is doing for your club is exeptional and i have grown to respect him more in the last couple of weeks than i ever did when he coached Geelong,will be a really hard call if you guys go deep into the finals,which i think you will.He is a breath of fresh air at the moment.Go Hawks!!!!When a favourite son returns the passion returns and the cream rises to the surface but it is early days!!!!

He really loves this club, and really wants to see Essendon succeed.

This is a great interview.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thompson said that back when he arrived too.. essentially we weren't training hard enough, spending enough, doing enough and had lost touch with the 'best' in the comp...

A complete overhaul was needed.. and that is what they did. The idea was to do it in 3 years and not 5 and hence the trial of Dank and Co... which still hasn't actually been proven to be wrong..

Knights had started to cull the list.. but we have turned over 20 guys in three years.. and only the cream remains.. and those who are prepared to work hard and for each other.

The club is in GREAT hands this year and beyond.. we are back.

Thompson said that back when he arrived too.. essentially we weren't training hard enough, spending enough, doing enough and had lost touch with the 'best' in the comp...

A complete overhaul was needed.. and that is what they did. The idea was to do it in 3 years and not 5 and hence the trial of Dank and Co... which still hasn't actually been proven to be wrong..

Knights had started to cull the list.. but we have turned over 20 guys in three years.. and only the cream remains.. and those who are prepared to work hard and for each other.

The club is in GREAT hands this year and beyond.. we are back.
You can't argue though that processes re Dank and co were extremely poor, even if other clubs were in a similar boat.

Yeah.. loved Lethal kinda pointing out some home truths to flog Harley.. like the bombers were 13-3 last year.. so that bloke Hird can coach a bit too...

and "being played for a fool" is a saying... an idiom.. not calling anyone specifically a fool...

Thought it was a very reasonable argument by Harley. At the end of the day a two time premiership coach will always be considered better than a three year coach with a reasonable record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back