Coaching Staff Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Will present the Jock McHale Medal for 2023 - 4/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Harley - s**t player, s**t commentator, s**t Swisse ambassador.

Has there been a more fortunate player in recent history?

I don't hate the guy, but FFS I've never seen someone ride on the coat-tails of success as much as this guy. Gets all the plumb jobs on ads and commentary, dual premiership captain, even a staggering AA (when AA selectors said "* it let's just give them all to Geelong and go to the pub").

Biggest case of a good ordinary footballer being in the right place at the right time. But I get the impression that he wouldn't hold this opinion. He was a role player in a team of champions, yet he is the face of Geelong's dominant era. That doesn't quite sit right with me.

Has there been a more fortunate player in recent history?

nick%20maxwell.jpg

Premiership captaincy trumps all the other trinkets handed out in this cavalcade of faux hero worship. Luck is a prerequisite for success in football - Harley and Maxwell deserve respect because they have the quantifiable victory. Who the hell cares how good they are as individual footballers?

Bomber has done an excellent job so far, very calm and collected.
Can only hope he stays with us going on next week.

I haven't read everything from this thread so i am probably doubling up on what someone else has written. But just in case i would like to spell this out emphatically.
If we do not receive infractions then the AFL world owes Hird a massive apology that is never going to arrive. The only people with power to set things right is this football club. He should never have been suspended and that needs to be shouted from the rooftops and demonstrated as true by the club giving him his job back with open arms.
Thompson being better or worse is utterly irrelevant next to the importance of backing a star of our club to the hilt. If we can't do that, then we are no better than Carlton and don't deserve success.

I agree with all of those who saw the Hangar interview last night:
We are privileged to have this bloke doing the job for us;
He is looking after the club both on and off field & trying to improve both.

Do yourself a favour & listen to the interview - IMO the most worthwhile episode of the Hangar I've ever seen.
Whatever happens this year - just enjoy the ride! (cos Bomber will...)

It was an unbelievable interview. In case it wasn't obvious before, the man loves this club.

Could help but get more pumped up for the rest of this season after seeing that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a fantastic interview. He's the best kind of teacher; he is part of the group, but he's also very demanding. Amazing that he fell into coaching as well.

really a remarkable interview. It reminds me of one of my favourite adages: if you want to be a cop, you're probably not the right person for the job. Coaching is a bit like that in some ways, and Thompson a great example.

God he's a funny campaigner. I love him so much.

Where's all the opposition fans laughing about Hird being stood down, and us having a tired coach who isn't interested coaching this side?

Too bad. We already have a contracted senior coach, who incidentally was at the helm when this team was built.

What does Hird do better than Bomber as a coach?
In my eyes Bomber ticks every *en box and is the best coach since Matthews and Sheedy.

Too bad. We already have a contracted senior coach, who incidentally was at the helm when this team was built.

If there's one thing in this game that means diddly-squat, it's a senior coach's contract.

What does Hird do better than Bomber as a coach?
In my eyes Bomber ticks every ****en box and is the best coach since Matthews and Sheedy.
Too bad... Oh wait i already wrote that...
If there's one thing in this game that means diddly-squat, it's a senior coach's contract.
No it matters. Oh wait i already wrote words to that effect earlier...

Too bad... Oh wait i already wrote that...

No it matters. Oh wait i already wrote words to that effect earlier...

I don't understand guys like you, I would always want whats best for the club I have supported since a little taka.
In this case it would mean Bomber will be at the club beyond 2014 as my 1st priority.

Saying "too bad" though, really?

A coach like Bomber doesn't come along very often. If he wants the gig past this year, we'd be crazy not to give it serious thought.

I'm not saying Hird should be kicked to the curb, there are other ways we could have him involved. I'd be pretty annoyed, though, if we said "too bad" to Bomber if he wanted to go on, simply because we wanted to stick it to the AFL by bringing back Hird as senior coach.

The number one priority needs to be what will get us a premiership, not going all David Myers on the AFL- as tempting and satisfying as it would be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back