News Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Guilty of posession, not guilty of trafficking - 11/7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longjohnmire

Senior List
Dec 31, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Most honest adults have had a dabble in some way or form with ‘illicit drugs’.. When will the media and politicians and general public actually have a mature discussion about drugs?
He’s being demonised for what he’s done and it’s probably fair, but maybe if mainstream society actually told the truth about what is a safe or not safe to try and their expreinces on said ‘drugs’ we wouldn’t have so many people fall into the grips of things like ice.

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Most honest adults have had a dabble in some way or form with ‘illicit drugs’.. When will the media and politicians and general public actually have a mature discussion about drugs?
He’s being demonised for what he’s done and it’s probably fair, but maybe if mainstream society actually told the truth about what is a safe or not safe to try and their expreinces on said ‘drugs’ we wouldn’t have so many people fall into the grips of things like ice.
That's crap.

DERO

NOBODY PUTS BABY IN THE CORNER
Jan 22, 2013
The Ivory Tower
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mitcham FC
Sorry, trying to give you some figures that might surprise you and having a mare whilst doing so!

According to the National Drug Strategy Household survey in 2013, an estimated 2.9 million people over 14 had dabbled that year and 8 million of the total population had at one point experimented with illicit drug use!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry, trying to give you some figures that might surprise you and having a mare whilst doing so!

According to the National Drug Strategy Household survey in 2013, an estimated 2.9 million people over 14 had dabbled that year and 8 million of the total population had at one point experimented with illicit drug use!
That leaves about 16 million Australians who haven't then.
https://profile.id.com.au/australia/five-year-age-groups

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades, Kings
That leaves about 16 million Australians who haven't then.
https://profile.id.com.au/australia/five-year-age-groups
The 2013 study was based on 23,855 respondents. It had 42% of >14yo people.

I'd imagine that sample size provided they have covered the appropriate range of groups would hold fairly true.

While it's not most it's almost one in two people, so if you haven't the next person you'll see on average will have.

It's a large enough amount of people for there to be mature discussion about the different kinds of drugs etc as opposed to all drugs that are illegal are bad.

Alocohol, tobacco and sugar have huge health problems for society.

The problem for me is if things like Marijuana, MDMA and LSD were legal a number of people wouldn't need to source them off more dodgy types of people who would cut those drugs with really bad s**t like ice or push them into trying it.

There is no real right or wrong answer but the war on drugs is failing to deliver a solution the world over, so an open discussion about these things is important.

Barry Roundhouse

Premium Platinum
Feb 16, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon

I'd imagine that sample size provided they have covered the appropriate range of groups would hold fairly true.

While it's not most it's almost one in two people, so if you haven't the next person you'll see on average will have.

It's a large enough amount of people for there to be mature discussion about the different kinds of drugs etc as opposed to all drugs that are illegal are bad.

The problem for me is if things like Marijuana, MDMA and LSD were legal a number of people wouldn't need to source them off more dodgy types of people who would cut those drugs with really bad s**t like ice or push them into trying it.

There is no real right or wrong answer but the war on drugs is failing to deliver a solution the world over, so an open discussion about these things is important.
Cant remember exactly but I am almost certain the addiction/dependence rate is about 2-3%.

Drugs are bad.. if you can't handle them. If you can.. lots of fun haha

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

Almost one in two actually means that the next person, on average, won't have. Also, my objection was with respect to a comment about 'illicit' drugs, rather than the taxable kinds. I do agree that our society probably has more of an issue with alcohol, tobacco and sugar though. (I'd add poker machines as well though I realise it's not a drug, the dopamine effect on the brain is similar to a junkie's).

I probably wouldn't mind some kind of different approach to the way we deal with drug laws in Australia; if we legalise anything, though, I wouldn't like to then see a flow-on effect to medicare for treatment of the health problems that go along with their use. I'd like to see a government register of sorts for users, so the health care costs go to the individual rather than the system, which is already being targeted as something that's increasingly unsustainable.

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Cant remember exactly but I am almost certain the addiction/dependence rate is about 2-3%.

Drugs are bad.. if you can't handle them. If you can.. lots of fun haha
Well, I don't remember the 90s my friend. Mental health is real. I have nothing but regret for the scrambled mess I became, and I don't buy into the machismo myth that some people attach to drug use. It's bogus IMO, and misleading.

Barry Roundhouse

Premium Platinum
Feb 16, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I probably wouldn't mind some kind of different approach to the way we deal with drug laws in Australia; if we legalise anything, though, I wouldn't like to then see a flow-on effect to medicare for treatment of the health problems that go along with their use. I'd like to see a government register of sorts for users, so the health care costs go to the individual rather than the system, which is already being targeted as something that's increasingly unsustainable.
So the more drugs I use, the better health care I get?

That's a system I can support.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Almost one in two actually means that the next person, on average, won't have. Also, my objection was with respect to a comment about 'illicit' drugs, rather than the taxable kinds. I do agree that our society probably has more of an issue with alcohol, tobacco and sugar though. (I'd add poker machines as well though I realise it's not a drug, the dopamine effect on the brain is similar to a junkie's).

42% is a large enough figure in it's own right so let's not argue a small amount of semantics. Nearly half is close enough to one in two.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Well, I don't remember the 90s my friend. Mental health is real. I have nothing but regret for the scrambled mess I became, and I don't buy into the machismo myth that some people attach to drug use. It's bogus IMO, and misleading.
Like anything it depends. It depends on the drug and the person taking it. One thing is for sure, people taking backyard lab stuff is far worse.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
42% over a range of 16 million people.
With less than 30,000 respondents, so really it could be higher or lower not even taking into account those who weren't comfortable enough to respond honestly. In any case you really want to include kids under 14 in your number?

Barry Roundhouse

Premium Platinum
Feb 16, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
It's not a myth.. its fact. Some people, demographics, genetics makeups, family history (and dozens of other things) contribute to a person one, using drugs and two, developing dependence.

Some people use smack once and are instantly hooked. Some (a small percentage) are able to be casual users over a long period.

Plenty of people can use drugs casual and intelligently. In fact, the majority of people who have taken drugs do.

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
With less than 30,000 respondents, so really it could be higher or lower not even taking into account those who weren't comfortable enough to respond honestly. In any case you really want to include kids under 14 in your number?
My calculations were actually based on numbers at 15+.
I'd be interested to know where the sample was taken from as well.

Top Bottom