News Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Guilty of posession, not guilty of trafficking - 11/7

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades, Kings
My calculations were actually based on numbers at 15+.
I'd be interested to know where the sample was taken from as well.
Me too as it would vastly change the percentage if it wasn't taken from a varied group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
It's not a myth.. its fact. Some people, demographics, genetics makeups, family history (and dozens of other things) contribute to a person one, using drugs and two, developing dependence.

Some people use smack once and are instantly hooked. Some (a small percentage) are able to be casual users over a long period.

Plenty of people can use drugs casual and intelligently. In fact, the majority of people who have taken drugs do.
Using drugs in an intelligent way.

There is a thing called machismo; delusions of ideal masculinity. This thing is cultural and our society and culture attaches it to all manner of behaviours and structures in our society to express patriarchy and define maleness. Drug culture doesn't escape this, and alcohol advertising is probably one of its most sophisticated forms of expression of it. In the sense of illicit drug use, it's when the number of hours or days you've been up or the number of cones you've had equates to a dick measuring contest. The machismo that is attached is mythical. It's a delusional construction of what it means to be a man.
There's nothing intelligent about its use at all. Clever ways to do drugs, maybe, but nothing intelligent.

You know, the human brain doesn't require drugs.

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Consciousness is our greatest mystery and for some mysterious reason drugs facilitate a broader, deeper consciousness. Yet, for some even more mysterious reason we stymie the possibilities of safely expanding our consciousness because of archaic taboos based on past political agendas in the US. I would love to be involved in sensible, researched exploration of consciousness. Yet as an adult I have no sovereignty over my own consciousness. We are truly strangely inhibited creatures in a very irrational way.

If Bomber is guilty he has done a morally reprehensible thing due to the fact that unregulated, and therefore life threatening, drugs are being drip fed via him to our most vulnerable citizens. It’s not the drug that is the problem. It is the lack of sensible, harm minimising stewardship from decision makers at the top and the subsequent enabling of a criminal market.

jmoo wan

Premium Platinum
Oct 12, 2007
Ringwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Using drugs in an intelligent way.

There is a thing called machismo; delusions of ideal masculinity. This thing is cultural and our society and culture attaches it to all manner of behaviours and structures in our society to express patriarchy and define maleness. Drug culture doesn't escape this, and alcohol advertising is probably one of its most sophisticated forms of expression of it. In the sense of illicit drug use, it's when the number of hours or days you've been up or the number of cones you've had equates to a dick measuring contest. The machismo that is attached is mythical. It's a delusional construction of what it means to be a man.
There's nothing intelligent about its use at all. Clever ways to do drugs, maybe, but nothing intelligent.

You know, the human brain doesn't require drugs.
Pretty sexist to think that drug use is exclusively a male’s domain. Girls can smash cones too.

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Consciousness is our greatest mystery and for some mysterious reason drugs facilitate a broader, deeper consciousness. Yet, for some even more mysterious reason we stymie the possibilities of safely expanding our consciousness because of archaic taboos based on past political agendas in the US. I would love to be involved in sensible, researched exploration of consciousness. Yet as an adult I have no sovereignty over my own consciousness. We are truly strangely inhibited creatures in a very irrational way.

If Bomber is guilty he has done a morally reprehensible thing due to the fact that unregulated, and therefore life threatening, drugs are being drip fed via him to our most vulnerable citizens. It’s not the drug that is the problem. It is the lack of sensible, harm minimising stewardship from decision makers at the top and the subsequent enabling of a criminal market.
I have no issue with you having sovereignty over your own consciousness, as long as my tax dollars don't have to help you then retrieve your health.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades, Kings
I have no issue with you having sovereignty over your own consciousness, as long as my tax dollars don't have to help you then retrieve your health.
So long as the same rule applies to alcohol, tobacco and sugar I'm good with that.

Burzum

Sack Dodoro
Nov 28, 2006
Melbourne/Alingsås
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sverige
your tax dollars have to help retrieve the health of smokers and drinkers and people who smash sugar filled drinks don't they
So long as the same rule applies to alcohol, tobacco and sugar I'm good with that.
Well smokers pay $8 billion in taxes per year and only take out $300 million from Medicare so I'd say they're paying your way.

Phone

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
Well smokers pay $8 billion in taxes per year and only take out $300 million from Medicare so I'd say they're paying your way.
i'm aware of that, which also suggests to me there's a whole heap of illicit drugs that could be similarly handled that way, instead of having their users targeted by cops and what not.

(obviously the smoking taxes have nothing to do with recouping medicare loses but cynical cash grabs from people whose demand to a product they're addicted to will hardly drop)

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Which is exactly what harm minimisation is about.

The 5 rights (has expanded to about 8 now I think) of medication administration is how people who understand drugs ensure patient safety.

Right patient for prescribed drug.
Right dose to suit specific patient.
Right drug for desired effect.
Right route for type and dose being given.
Right time or frequency between doses.

How many of these responsible harm minimisers do you think we can ensure in a criminal market?

Your tax dollars are already being unnecessarily used to treat health problems that can be avoided if there were a health focus rather than a criminal focus.

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
This.

Criminalising it is far more expensive than treating it as a health issue. It is also far less effective at reducing harm and demand.
I was highlighting the health cost already existent but yes, the cost of resource allocation and processing criminal investigations and convictions is cray cray to the extreme. Especially seeing as it hasn’t actually made a dent in improving the situation o_O

TDay

All Australian
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I was recently in amsterdam and a local was telling me how it is normal for the parents to have 'the talk' with their teenagers, which involves smoking a joint together.

The result is most local kids have an awkward lame experience with their parents and then fall asleep. The 'not coolness' apparently leads to much less habit formation.

Interesting weed is actually illegal in amsterdam because of EU politics, but is 'tolerated'

Top Bottom