News Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Guilty of posession, not guilty of trafficking - 11/7

TDay

All Australian
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Im very against hard drugs like the ones bomber has been involved with, but open to the idea of legalisation for a couple of reasons:
- stop bad people making money in a black market.
- give addicts a legal avenue to help
- give governments access to statistics to monitor the problem.
- it would likely cost less for taxpayers in hospital bills since regulated drugs will have more predictable effects and reduced harmful 'cost cutting' ingredients like laundry powder or whatever
- and, pretending drugs dont exist by outlawing them clearly doesnt help much

BUT of course there must be certain stipulations:
- you can only buy from a doctor
- you must use it with your doctor when you first buy it, so you can be monitored
- NO advertising of drug products is allowed
- drug producing companies must be held to stringent manufacturing regulations not only regarding ingredients but potency
- drug dealing is still illegal

I think that there are 4 main goals to shoot for:
- get addicts help
- create less addicts
- undercut the criminal element
- reduce the coolness factor

Having drugs illegal does little to help any of those goals. We cant monitor the problem, regulate it, or treat it and the criminals make money from destroying society. Illegality blocks addicts from getting help, enriches the criminal element, makes it seem cooler and arguably/seemingly has little effect on reducing the number of new users (since dealers are always actively looking for new users to get hooked)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TDay

All Australian
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
If found guilty of peddling, throw the book at Bomber. As a societal role model his actions are much more damaging then otherwise. Using is different to dealing, and no matter what stresses he was under, dealing the s**t he is accused of destroys the lives and families of vulnerable people. The damage is widespread and external to just him.
Being who he is acts as an advertisement for the drug, and makes it seem cooler to the impressionable who respect the man as a role model.
I hope he gets his s**t together and tries to reverse the image he has created.

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm not sure you could legalise meth. It changes the brain to the point where the people that use it are outright dangerous to other members of the public.
Drugs like Meth and heroin are a tricky one but I stand by my general view that, in their current state, drug laws cause more harm than they would if there were a reform to remove the criminal focus and instead funnel our attention toward health and harm minimisation. Is it outrageous to think that legalalising meth, with very strict guidelines, might improve health outcomes? I think it’s well worth having the conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phone

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm uh not really sure what David Evans could have done about this in 2017.

(Particularly as it seems Thompson still had the whole "nope it's not even possibly we're guilty. no chance whatsoever. stop prosecuting us because we're innocent so everyone should just accept it" thing going on.)

Premiership Player
Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
OK - we all appreciate the angle from the Thompson email, though I'm unsure on who or how it was leaked.

Am I reading Caro's retort in the article below as her own opinion... or as an AFL point of view looking to engage the public, where Gill, Fitzpatrick & co. can't actually comment?

Wilson said Evans, not Thompson, had a right to feel aggrieved for being let down by the coaching staff and hoped Thompson would realise he needs to accept some blame for his downfall.

“David Evans paid dearly for handing you blokes the keys. A future in football is no longer an option for him. His strategy was to clear the players and it was working, until his shattered departure,” Wilson said.

“Ian Robson, CEO at the time, is now running Rowing (Australia). Mark, you and James were given far more chances than many people thought you deserved. I really hope, Mark, you get through this current situation and at some point find the strength in yourself to man up and stop pointing the finger.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fallen-afl-figure-mark-thompson-accused-of-deluded-rantings/news-story/374912bc6c401d87cdfc1f7eb2d83c29

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks

Clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks

Phone

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
I kept it fairly soft in my above post, but yeah "delusional" came to mind, and look clearly he wasn't in a great headspace when he wrote that email so it being delusional is a bit beside the point, so I hope Evans saw the email as a cry for help and tried to do just that, because there's just nothing David Evans in 2017 could have done about anything other than trying to help them move on if they wanted to

Vander18

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not really sure what Bomber was aiming at with his letter to Evans. I think Evans sold his mates down the river but Bomber's letter is delusional.
He’s asking Evans to tell the truth about what happened...whatever that may be. He would be asking for this in the hope that reputations, including his, could be salvaged.

Is it delusional? He wouldn’t be on his Pat Malone in thinking the whole thing stank to high hell from day 1.

Bombers36

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2008
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Mark Thompson has been a recreational drug user for some time. I know a few people he grew up with its been common knowledge that he has used drugs recreationally for years. We all know people like this - they go out on weekends, get on the gear, then call in sick for work Monday etc. Some people can go on doing this most of their life, and its never an issue, but for others, at some point, and there usually is some sort of trigger of some sort, things shift from recreational to addiction. And this is what I believe has happened to Bomber. If hes just a user and/or addict then he should get some help - part of this is helping himself also. All the rehab clinics in the world wont help if hes not committed
But if he has been dealing the s**t, then he should be held accountable like any other member of society. He should get the same penalty that you or I would get - i.e. jail. But he probably wont, he'll get a good QC, he'll get let off with some sort of bulls**t community order and probably just keep on doing what he's doing until things really spiral out of control....see Ben Cousins...its a sad situation...
As a side note I do believe Bomber played some part in all this saga, bringing some dodgy characters he knew along from Geelong - I reckon he played more of a part than Hird. What a fall from grace for Bomber...

Vander18

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
If there is some truth that could salvage his reputation, why does he not release it himself?
To some degree he has - has stated on many occasions that the level of reposnibilty for the program apportioned to himself and Hird was not reflective of the reality. Not saying it’s right but he has said this many times.

The email to Evans seem to be more alleging a cover up or conspiracy - I don’t know what that is or who it involves so can’t really pass comment on your question.

madrigal

Team Captain
May 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
To some degree he has - has stated on many occasions that the level of reposnibilty for the program apportioned to himself and Hird was not reflective of the reality. Not saying it’s right but he has said this many times.

The email to Evans seem to be more alleging a cover up or conspiracy - I don’t know what that is or who it involves so can’t really pass comment on your question.
Even if somebody took full responsibility it would not salvage his reputation.

Top Bottom