Coaching Staff Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Will present the Jock McHale Medal for 2023 - 4/9

Remove this Banner Ad

This.

Criminalising it is far more expensive than treating it as a health issue. It is also far less effective at reducing harm and demand.
I was highlighting the health cost already existent but yes, the cost of resource allocation and processing criminal investigations and convictions is cray cray to the extreme. Especially seeing as it hasn’t actually made a dent in improving the situation o_O

I was recently in amsterdam and a local was telling me how it is normal for the parents to have 'the talk' with their teenagers, which involves smoking a joint together.

The result is most local kids have an awkward lame experience with their parents and then fall asleep. The 'not coolness' apparently leads to much less habit formation.

Interesting weed is actually illegal in amsterdam because of EU politics, but is 'tolerated'

Im very against hard drugs like the ones bomber has been involved with, but open to the idea of legalisation for a couple of reasons:
- stop bad people making money in a black market.
- give addicts a legal avenue to help
- give governments access to statistics to monitor the problem.
- it would likely cost less for taxpayers in hospital bills since regulated drugs will have more predictable effects and reduced harmful 'cost cutting' ingredients like laundry powder or whatever
- and, pretending drugs dont exist by outlawing them clearly doesnt help much

BUT of course there must be certain stipulations:
- you can only buy from a doctor
- you must use it with your doctor when you first buy it, so you can be monitored
- NO advertising of drug products is allowed
- drug producing companies must be held to stringent manufacturing regulations not only regarding ingredients but potency
- drug dealing is still illegal

I think that there are 4 main goals to shoot for:
- get addicts help
- create less addicts
- undercut the criminal element
- reduce the coolness factor

Having drugs illegal does little to help any of those goals. We cant monitor the problem, regulate it, or treat it and the criminals make money from destroying society. Illegality blocks addicts from getting help, enriches the criminal element, makes it seem cooler and arguably/seemingly has little effect on reducing the number of new users (since dealers are always actively looking for new users to get hooked)

Last edited:
If found guilty of peddling, throw the book at Bomber. As a societal role model his actions are much more damaging then otherwise. Using is different to dealing, and no matter what stresses he was under, dealing the s**t he is accused of destroys the lives and families of vulnerable people. The damage is widespread and external to just him.
Being who he is acts as an advertisement for the drug, and makes it seem cooler to the impressionable who respect the man as a role model.
I hope he gets his s**t together and tries to reverse the image he has created.

I'm not sure you could legalise meth. It changes the brain to the point where the people that use it are outright dangerous to other members of the public.
Wheras if you legalised MDMA everyone would be walking around giving free hugs.
I’d legalise heroin and ban Narcan.

I'm not sure you could legalise meth. It changes the brain to the point where the people that use it are outright dangerous to other members of the public.
Drugs like Meth and heroin are a tricky one but I stand by my general view that, in their current state, drug laws cause more harm than they would if there were a reform to remove the criminal focus and instead funnel our attention toward health and harm minimisation. Is it outrageous to think that legalalising meth, with very strict guidelines, might improve health outcomes? I think it’s well worth having the conversation.

Wont be attending the '93' reunion according to Tom Browne

Not surprised bloke is not in a good spot atm
Not surprising given what’s going on.

But the guy was captain of that team, and a damned fine one at that, so it’s pretty sad.

I agree with your point entirely. I didn't read it, I was just looking at your avatar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK - we all appreciate the angle from the Thompson email, though I'm unsure on who or how it was leaked.

Am I reading Caro's retort in the article below as her own opinion... or as an AFL point of view looking to engage the public, where Gill, Fitzpatrick & co. can't actually comment?

Wilson said Evans, not Thompson, had a right to feel aggrieved for being let down by the coaching staff and hoped Thompson would realise he needs to accept some blame for his downfall.

“David Evans paid dearly for handing you blokes the keys. A future in football is no longer an option for him. His strategy was to clear the players and it was working, until his shattered departure,” Wilson said.

“Ian Robson, CEO at the time, is now running Rowing (Australia). Mark, you and James were given far more chances than many people thought you deserved. I really hope, Mark, you get through this current situation and at some point find the strength in yourself to man up and stop pointing the finger.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fa...s/news-story/374912bc6c401d87cdfc1f7eb2d83c29

I kept it fairly soft in my above post, but yeah "delusional" came to mind, and look clearly he wasn't in a great headspace when he wrote that email so it being delusional is a bit beside the point, so I hope Evans saw the email as a cry for help and tried to do just that, because there's just nothing David Evans in 2017 could have done about anything other than trying to help them move on if they wanted to

I'm not really sure what Bomber was aiming at with his letter to Evans. I think Evans sold his mates down the river but Bomber's letter is delusional.
He’s asking Evans to tell the truth about what happened...whatever that may be. He would be asking for this in the hope that reputations, including his, could be salvaged.

Is it delusional? He wouldn’t be on his Pat Malone in thinking the whole thing stank to high hell from day 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back