Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
So basically Watters was coach of a few blokes/club leaders, that enjoyed being naked together & who generally behaved like year 9 boys.

I know whose side of the story I would take. Watter's side every day of the week. He may not have been perfect but he must have walked into that club & discovered some interesting characters & practices.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
You mean like every sporting club at any level across the entire planet?
Well we are talking elite clubs in an elite competition & the Saints have had a history of falling well short in this department. So perhaps Watters thought he could fix it but he was so wrong because at the Saints, it's always run from the top to bottom, former players to current players. I wish Ratten all the best!

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well we are talking elite clubs in an elite competition & the Saints have had a history of falling well short in this department. So perhaps Watters thought he could fix it but he was so wrong because at the Saints, it's always run from the top to bottom, former players to current players. I wish Ratten all the best!
Watters came from Collingwood FFS.

Seen their wrap sheet??

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
How do explain Hawthorn then? Read their wrap sheet?

West Coast?

Geelong during their 'era'?
OK then, I'll tell you what you want to hear.
The Saints are the ultimate professional club where everyone at the club is accountable & all the other clubs are bending over backwards to poach any staff they can get from this club to get some of the Saints culture to rub off on their own club.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
OK then, I'll tell you what you want to hear.
The Saints are the ultimate professional club where everyone at the club is accountable & all the other clubs are bending over backwards to poach any staff they can get from this club to get some of the Saints culture to rub off on their own club.
That's just as idiotic as your orginal post.

Surely Paul

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
So basically Watters was coach of a few blokes/club leaders, that enjoyed being naked together & who generally behaved like year 9 boys.

I know whose side of the story I would take. Watter's side every day of the week. He may not have been perfect but he must have walked into that club & discovered some interesting characters & practices.

Who is Watter?

Rustyrich

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I remember Dermott Brereton coming out in defence of Scott Watters. Pretty much saying that St Kilda will always be mediocre with such terrible decision making. Also said the Saints lost a great communicator and leader. He also had a go at Pelchen and all the top dogs there.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember Dermott Brereton coming out in defence of Scott Watters. Pretty much saying that St Kilda will always be mediocre with such terrible decision making. Also said the Saints lost a great communicator and leader. He also had a go at Pelchen and all the top dogs there.

Dermie is Scott Watters' biggest fan. He's about the only guy who hasn't forgotten Watters completely.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
The more I hear about Scott Watters, the more I am shocked that he ever got a senior coaching role. Completely divided that club and made bizarre decision after bizarre decision.
Two premierships and a runner-up in the WAFL with Subiaco, followed immediately by being assistant coach at Collingwood when they won the flag then were minor premier but lost the GF. That's a resume every aspiring coach would die for.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Two premierships and a runner-up in the WAFL with Subiaco, followed immediately by being assistant coach at Collingwood when they won the flag then were minor premier but lost the GF. That's a resume every aspiring coach would die for.

Yep, as soon as he left the Saints he got snapped up by another AFL club.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast

Fair to say Subiaco have, previously at least, a significant financial advantage over the other wafl clubs that likely will have made things easier than otherwise.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Fair to say Subiaco have, previously at least, a significant financial advantage over the other wafl clubs that likely will have made things easier than otherwise.
Of course, and as with Collingwood, he walked into clubs doing well and with the sorts of natural advantages that the Saints didn't have. Also didn't have the fallout from a much-loved/respected coach having just unexpectedly walked out. So despite the pedigree, I wonder if St Kilda might have just been the wrong fit for him, or at least he was the wrong person for that time.

Yep, as soon as he left the Saints he got snapped up by another AFL club.
Never said he was a good coach.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I remember the night Watters got sacked Finey was ready to unleash but held off. Still holding off now.

Mostly Watters seemed like a typical Malthouse assistant. Defensive. Paranoid with the media. Rigid with players. Keen to put a stamp on the place.

No doubt St Kilda wasn't going to be an easy gig managing an awful salary cap and decline of a champion player group, it was going to take either a full rebuild or brilliant coaching to retool on the fly. But Watters didn't even get close to establishing the trust of the senior players and easing that transition.

Back