Roast Mark Hutchings the new McGinnity

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know what trying to guess all the salaries tells us that we don't already know - obviously half of them are going to below average. What a player is 'worth' is a very inexact science.

Regardless of what anyone is paid they are given a role in the team and they are expected to execute their role in the game plan well. If they can do that they're in, if they can't they're out, regardless of individual skill. You need to hold everybody to that standard, not just the ones who are getting paid superstar money. You don't just accept a certain level of mediocrity in the team because you can't buy what you want.

That's not a criticism of Hutchings just because I'm saying it in here. I just mean that the ability of those guys down the order to conform to the gameplan and execute it well seems to be often overlooked. I think Hutchings is gradually learning how to best use his abilities in our current setup which is great - we need to expect all of our 'below average' guys to be doing that.
For sure. The intention of my post is that some guys are going to be 'vanilla'. They just have to play their role, and try to better their playing, but don't deserve some of the s**t they get for their limitations.

He may be the Steve Armstrong of 2015 - not a star, but does his part - and bobs in to kick a goal when needed to help win the GF.
Agreed while I would much rather have Liam Duggan his last week weeks have been solid

Hutchings past 3 weeks
Hawks 19 touches 1 goal
Fremantle 18 touches 1 goal
Bulldogs 25 touches 2 goals
Not a bad game against top 4 teams

The funny thing is after the gold coast game i remember him overrunning a ball and then we got scored on the turnover, it was a pathetically weak and ill thought out bit of play.

Fast forward a month and his ability to keep the ball moving his direction below his knees has been what's impressed me most, he can do it at allost full tilt

Agreed while I would much rather have Liam Duggan his last week weeks have been solid

Hutchings past 3 weeks
Hawks 19 touches 1 goal
On a side note, didn't Simpson say in his press conference post game that he has been given a spot in the team due to injuries to payers like Duggan?

Hutchings past 3 weeks
Hawks 19 touches 1 goal

I haven't bothered with the stats to back it up but it feels like Hutch always gets decent numbers in most statistical categories - tackles, clearances, inside 50s, marks, in addition to the possies and above a goal a game mentioned. Does ok offensively, not a letdown defensively (sticks tackles quite well).
If he keeps it all up he is literally the perfect 6th midfielder - not dominant in any one area but acting as a perfect consistent foil for everyone else and keeping the weight of numbers on our side.

I haven't bothered with the stats to back it up but it feels like Hutch always gets decent numbers in most statistical categories - tackles, clearances, inside 50s, marks, in addition to the possies and above a goal a game mentioned. Does ok offensively, not a letdown defensively (sticks tackles quite well).
If he keeps it all up he is literally the perfect 6th midfielder - not dominant in any one area but acting as a perfect consistent foil for everyone else and keeping the weight of numbers on our side.
Excatly mate hit the nail on the head. He has to be the foil/fodder for our gun players

Priddis, Shuey, Gaff, Yeo, Lercras, Masten,

We have guys like Sheed (who will be a gun soon), Hutch and Rosa to provide the extra run/grunt.

His Bont intercept and goal in the 3rd quarter needs more recognition.

That was a very important individual piece of play in the context of the game, the bulldogs had all the momentum and we only had a small lead.
a true spud would have seen that opportunity to spray the ball ala selwood. It was good to see hutch kick with composure and get us the 6 points at a crucial time. To me that's what highlight his importance to our side.

On a side note, didn't Simpson say in his press conference post game that he has been given a spot in the team due to injuries to payers like Duggan?

That's what makes things so promising.

Duggan, Lamb, Nelson and Newman not to mention Sheed and Yeo all have their best ahead of them. We haven't seen what Cavka or Waterman can offer.

Add a couple more first rounders and a 2nd rounder to the list and we are set for some ripping years ahead.

I just prey we don't get ahead of ourselves ala Port did this year.

That's what makes things so promising.

Duggan, Lamb, Nelson and Newman not to mention Sheed and Yeo all have their best ahead of them. We haven't seen what Cavka or Waterman can offer.

Add a couple more first rounders and a 2nd rounder to the list and we are set for some ripping years ahead.

I just prey we don't get ahead of ourselves ala Port did this year.
Brophy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how he always bobs up at the end of the year after working through a few niggles, only to lose that spot at the start of the next season.

For a depth player he's a gun and ticks all the boxes. Clean hands, quick decision making, much improved kicking skills and a clutch goal-sense.

His Bont intercept and goal in the 3rd quarter needs more recognition.

That was a very important individual piece of play in the context of the game, the bulldogs had all the momentum and we only had a small lead.
Same with Hurn spoiling Stringer (or was it Crameri? Haven't watched the replay yet) in the third which led to us kicking a goal on the rebound... they had the momentum at that point.

Played 30 odd games and not many consistently. Has the ability to be a good role player, understands the game plan and looks the sort of player that will soak up knowledge from simmo

The difference between Hutchings and Selwood is that Hutchings doesn't ruin momentum and the run of play where as Selwood just sciences s**t up

Yep, Selwood gets the ball and then simply gets tackled with the ball. That's why he's better as a tagger. The other guys gets it and then Selwood tackles him. Also means he handballs out of congestion more than kicking. His kicking under pressure is like Priddis was 4 years ago.........pretty average decisions made.

Amazing really, he was dropped after the GC game, only to be a late in the following week...hasn't looked back since.

He looks fitter

Looks,to have lost that puppy fat also. WAFL coaches and trai sees need to to get guys out of the gyms and into the running track more ....too many blokes come into the afl heavy ....size is so overated ....endurance is the key ....every kg you have to carry slows you down ...gaff and Priddis and shuey are perfect size ...they don't need to get bigger

I'd rather him than Selwood right now.

Yeah. Selwood is really poo and it's his ankle that has essentially crippled him. But lets be plainly obviously, neither Hutchings or Selwood is as bad as McGinnity. That guy just sucks.
Mc Ginnity has been good the last few games> He'll never be elite as he will never have good disposal skills but earned his place

Toast for me - as many people have pointed out(it's pretty interesting reading the progression of posts regarding the hutch) he doesn't have silky sleek skills or the ability to break open a game in 10 minutes but I think Hutchings will prove to run out most games giving a 110% for his team and his role. Good team work will overcome short moments of brilliance any day of the week and I feel that teamwork is Simmos secret to success so it bodes well for someone like hutch who appears good at listening and improving areas that need it. For the price we would be paying him and the effort he puts in I feel like he is underrated, will probably skip in and out from the team for the next two years playing a tagging, centre and half forward roles before replaying priddis as our key inside mid. Just my opinion but I reckon he will still be flying high in 2-3 years.

Playing well at the moment. Feels like he's playing a less prominent midfield role compared to previous seasons, which is where i've had issues with his performances.

As a 6th midfielder, the best way to rate him is to compare him to other teams 6th choice midfielders. In that respect, he holds up really well. Would back him in against most players in a similar position on other teams.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back